1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Realist/A-hole
5,791 Posts
Nice article. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I do think Hartford will be one of the top 3 or 4 teams this season. I love their experienced "youth" and Gallagher is one of my favorite coaches in the conference.

I will be cheering for them in every game not against Vermont :)

·
Premium Member
33,201 Posts
Nwakamma, Sikma, and Moore are a terrific young trio to have as a nucleus in this conference IMO. If Gallagher can get 2-3 more kids that have their ability, then Hartford will be real, real dangerous.

·
Banned
6,174 Posts
I think hartford is overrated this year because of the great tourney they had. They are too young this year. People overrate them not reallizing they had a home games in the tourney. They will be middle of the pack this year. I expect them to be a 4-6 seed. The next two years after though watch out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think hartford is overrated this year because of the great tourney they had. They are too young this year. People overrate them not reallizing they had a home games in the tourney. They will be middle of the pack this year. I expect them to be a 4-6 seed. The next two years after though watch out.
I agree. The conference was so bad in the bottom half, and Hartford finally learned how to beat up on the Binghamton and UMBCs of the league. Then they took advantage of having home games in the AE tourney. At this point, I wouldn't put them higher than 4th.

They're definitely moving in the right direction though. And Gallagher has done it by recruiting everywhere. I don't believe there's one kid from CT on scholarship.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I agree. The conference was so bad in the bottom half, and Hartford finally learned how to beat up on the Binghamton and UMBCs of the league. Then they took advantage of having home games in the AE tourney. At this point, I wouldn't put them higher than 4th.

They're definitely moving in the right direction though. And Gallagher has done it by recruiting everywhere. I don't believe there's one kid from CT on scholarship.
There are in fact no scholy or walk-on Hartford kids on the roster.....I do not think there has been one since Brian Glowiak graduated. It will be very important on who Coach Gal gets as his first CT recruit. It can't be a kid who will sit on the bench. Hartford still has a negative conotation for in state recruits. They need a winning season or two in order to move forward with recruiting in-state.

I do believe there is much more excitement in the program than there has been in years. Coach Gal just has that natural enthusiastic nature about him and it forces you to jump on board. That being said this team is incredibly young.... as stated above. I think it does benefit them however that their sohpmore class got so much playing time last year as freshman. I honestly see Nwakamma (who is a pre-med major) becoming one of the best players in the league over his career....hopefully he takes that step this year. If he can stay on the court (controlling his fouls) he could put up some serious numbers. Sikma and Moore showed enough to be excited about their progress. Wroe looks like he will fit in the Clayton Brothers mold of defensive tough guy. At the beginning of the season last year Schneck looked like their top frosh but injuries curtailed his progress. Hopefully he can progress like it looked like he would. Cole was very inconsistent last year in regards to his 3 point shootoing (that's his niche). If he can increase his percentage it will be a HUGE help. That class looks strong so in my eyes they need a couple of frosh and senior transfer Peterson to contribute like they hope in order to compete in the top half of the AE this year. It is essential that PG Frosh Cooper give some quality minutes as Moore's backup as if he isn't ready and Moore goes down or is in foul trouble then Hartford is in trouble. I also think we will see a lot of positives out of frosh Uu and Dyson this year. The other interesting guy is 250 pound Faulk. As the lone Junior he earned no time his frosh year and started getting some time his soph year. He has been getting leaner and stronger as the years have gone by. He showed some signs he was figuring this out last year. I will be interested to see whee that takes him.

By the way the Hawks had one coaching move in the off season as Drew Dawson (the first asst) is no longer on the staff. #2 coach Gerlufsen (who brings in all the Texas kids) is now #1. The new asst to join the staff at #3 is former Richmond head coach Bill Dooley.

Tonight is Midnight Madness (or Midnight Mania). I don't go as I am now older than most of the parents of the kids on the team unfortunately. At Midnight Mania aside from all the events they have some Magican who was on America's Got Talent.

I will head over to watch a practice in about 2 weeks to get some first hand thoughts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Coach Gallagher did tell me in my interview last week that he was in on about 6 Connecticut high school prospects for the 2012-13 class. Obviously, none of them worked out and he ended up signing guys from all over (California, Texas, Australia, etc.) They're absolutely trying to recruit locally though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts