Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a great performance by any means, but it's good enough. We'll see how the Gaels respond on Friday.

Burtt had like 25, and Wax had like 24 and 13--Beagle, I guess he's pretty good, and RAVER, I guess he's not D-II.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I think most of those MEAC/Black Colleges pretty much run out a bunch of players between 6'3 and 6'5 - so no surprise Wax had some real nice numbers.

What happened early on? I bet Howard was real athletic and Iona's guards tried to take the game in their own hands before getting Wax and the post players involved.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
soup said:
I think most of those MEAC/Black Colleges pretty much run out a bunch of players between 6'3 and 6'5 - so no surprise Wax had some real nice numbers.

What happened early on? I bet Howard was real athletic and Iona's guards tried to take the game in their own hands before getting Wax and the post players involved.
More or less true, Soup, though I do think they had a bit more size than that. They of course were athletic. They have good guards.

Iona's defensive intensity was not consistent, but it was much better in the second half. You can tell by the scoring; 40 allowed in first half, 28 allowed in second.

I doubt the players were selfish. Careless and sloppy, yes. Selfish, probably not.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
To me, the fact that Burtt had 17 points at halftime answers the question on whether the Gaels were selfish or not.

Answer is they were selfish (read, Burtt wasn't being a team player, again)

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I didn't mean selfish, not at all. I meant that I could see the Iona guards, or any guards, try to do too much at first - because I'm sure it was a frantic pace early on.

I see what you mean by sloppy - 42 turnovers in the game, 23 by Iona. A win is a win.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, that's right. Soliver is the game in a nutshell--5 turnovers, but 8 assists.

Saintly is just bitter because his "declaration of wood" blew up in his face. :banana:

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
The guy who had a terrible game was McCullough who played a lot in the first half, he had only 3 points 3 assists and 6 turnovers, from the sound of it many unforced, when Iona played better in the second half it seemed Jackson was on the floor, he played extremely well and had no turnovers. Guy is something wrong with McCullough or was it just a bad game? Or perhaps Marvin is looking over his shoulder at Jackson?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Rather than start a new thread - I hope Gonzaga beats UConn by 30 and then Adam Morrison walks over to Mrs. Calhoun and gives her a Dirty Sanchez. God I hate criminals.

·
Registered
147 Posts
soup said:
Rather than start a new thread - I hope Gonzaga beats UConn by 30 and then Adam Morrison walks over to Mrs. Calhoun and gives her a Dirty Sanchez. God I hate criminals.
The Dirty Sanchez material is classic.

:cheers: :cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SienaTony said:
The guy who had a terrible game was McCullough who played a lot in the first half, he had only 3 points 3 assists and 6 turnovers, from the sound of it many unforced, when Iona played better in the second half it seemed Jackson was on the floor, he played extremely well and had no turnovers. Guy is something wrong with McCullough or was it just a bad game? Or perhaps Marvin is looking over his shoulder at Jackson?
Not sure, but I got the feeling that McCullough was getting slightly phased out. Not completely, but slightly. Ruland was happy with Jackson. I think Soliver is being considered our PG right now. But you're right, Marvin is probably pressing more than normal with KJ waiting in the wings.

Oh, rumor has it that Justin Marshall is in Ruland's doghouse. (Ruland isn't happy unless SOMEONE is in the doghouse.) Iona needs Marshall, who isn't spectacular but gives you a little of everything. He would have made a difference yesterday. Also of note is Ruland's love for Springer over Bruin.

Lastly, Portland State gave ISU a pretty good game last night. They're 1-2 now, though. First game was a rout at Arkansas, but they were without their starting center, who is a transfer from Washington. Then they smacked Beth-Cook on the road, and Beth-Cook is probably similar to Howard. And last night, a good effort at ISU. So they do not appear to be a pushover. I do expect Iona to play with a lot more focus, though. Ruland sounded pretty ticked in the postgame.

·
Registered
196 Posts
McCullough had a fabulous preseason game against Medgar. I'm sure thats why he was given the nod here.

These guys are sloppy. Not "crisp". It may just be the group.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Nice win, fighting it out against the likes of Howard at home. As for Walschman(sp), I have zero respect for him as a player, the fact that he can put up numbers against a D2 team at home n the Bison doesn't get me hard.

Let's see where you are after 10 games, my prediction is that you will not win again until the FF game in January. This team will prove to be just a typical IJC team - low basketball IQ, terrible coaching and no chance at post-season. And you can print it.

Happy Thangsgiving GuyF!!

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First off, the game was at a neutral site, not at Iona. Second, Howard won't be that bad in the MEAC, which nowadays is probably only a shade or two weaker than the MAAC. Third, we played like garbage and STILL won by double figures.

Wax had 24 and 13. Oh yeah, and 4 blocks. I don't think he or anyone else cares what you think of his ability.

You're also showing a lack of understanding of the current Iona roster. This team does not lack basketball IQ, nor do they lack talent. As for terrible coaching, Ruland has two more MAAC titles than Harnum and is the favorite to add a third this year.

If Iona wins tonight (Vegas has them as an 8.5-point favorite), be sure to stop by to tell us you were wrong. :clap:

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Yeah, forgot about the neutral site. GuyF you have me confused. I thought you now hated Ruland?

Again, this team has little talent and the recruiting has been horrible. You haven't done anything since Rider's been in the conference. As I told you, no recruit would choose IJC over Rider, just apples and oranges. BTW, Rider currently owns the 2nd highest MAAC winning percentage in conference history. I'd say that's doing something and if recent recruiting is any indication, the Broncs will own a host of MAAC titles and NCAA berths.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Howard was picked 10th in the MEAC, which is next to last and how many games did they win last year? There is no way this is a good team no matter how you slice it. Your team sucks, it is plain and simple.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RiderRaver said:
You haven't done anything since Rider's been in the conference.
I suppose those three MAAC titles don't count?

RiderRaver said:
No recruit would choose IJC over Rider, just apples and oranges.
You DO know that Rider offered Kiril Waschmann, don't you?

RiderRaver said:
Rider currently owns the 2nd highest MAAC winning percentage in conference history.
Tell me, who is first?

And while your regular-season mark has been good, you're 5-8 all-time in the MAAC Tournament, and 3 of those 5 wins are PIG wins. To me, this is far more telling than any regular-season totals.

What is also demonstrated is that despite some regular-season MAAC success, you guys have barely sniffed the postseason at all, which is a reflection of 1) your poor OOC performance over the years, and 2) the weakness of your OOC over the years in general.

When Rider steps up on a national level the way Iona and some other MAAC programs have, then we can talk.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Dude, there is no sense in arguing with you, it is obvious that Rider has a better program, MUCH better facilities, MUCH better recruiting, MUCH better coaching. IJC hasn't done anything in years, what is your record over the past 3 seasons? NOW THAT is telling. Rider was in the MAAC finals last year and twice was on ESPN or ESPN 2. How you can dispute any of this is beyond me. Rider and IJC do not recruit the same players. It is VERY RARE you see Rider involved or even mentioned with any IJC recruit. Again, enjoy another sub-.500 season, you're about to go 1-5 before blinking an eye.

As for OOC, Rider has beaten Penn at the Palestra, Princeton at Jadwin gym, College of Charleston at the Kress Center, which are three of the best wins in the conference history, period. Including the Drexels, Delawares of the world, Rider has BEATEN POST-SEASON teams with regularity in recent years. Sorry we can't say the same for IJC.

I'll say this is. Until you fire Ruland, the current AD, invest about $30 million in campus facilities, you will not recruit at the level that is needed to be at or near the top of the MAAC, even at its current state. The rest of the MAAC is eating your lunch even as the conference RPI stinks.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That might be one of the worst posts I've ever seen on any board. Everyone is now dumber for having read it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts