Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
14,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been crossing my mind lately.

Shaquille O'Neal is the greatest player to come into the league in the last 15 years or so.
Since day one, he was simply astounding... Simply dominant. A brat coming out of a college ball that he became desinterested on because of teams triple-teaming him down low every single possession. a guy that, while in college, had Kareem Abdull-Jabbar and Bill Walton tutor him.

He came to the NBA with a bang: 23-14 for one of the worst franchises ever. This while destroying two blackboards, Chocolate-Thunder-style. This while getting freezed-over in the ASG.

His second year, at age 21, showed the monster he was: 29-13 in .600FG%. He couldn't be stopped. He was everywhere: movies, highlight reels, music.

He led a team of unproven, trigger happy kids to the Finals.

He then went his ways to LA, where he won 3 rings and 3 Finals MVP.

Sayings like "Shaq can't be stopped. We only hope we are able to contain him". "It all starts and ends with Shaq" "we are still trying to figure out what happened to us" were seldom used since his first day in the league.

Yeah this was your once-in-a-generation, bigger-than-life lovalble giant.

But now, i remember those early years and reminesc a lot about it. Shaq is no longer The Diesel, The Big Aristotle. He is fading. His body is showing the years of beating it had to endure. He is no longer the Most Dominant One.

But still, i have to admire The Big Lug for not losing his spirit. To promise championships. For, in his mind, he is still the player he once was.

When Shaq is gone, there will be noone left. Not from his era. The era of Michael Jordan, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson and Pat Ewing.

Will anyone miss him?

· Player
7,839 Posts
Yeah I will. That oldtime chant of "Throw it down bigman, throw it down!" The Shaquille quotes. Most of all, the presence. But thank the heavens we have LeBron "King" James to save us :rolleyes:

· Banned
3,113 Posts
PauloCatarino said:
This has been crossing my mind lately.

Shaquille O'Neal is the greatest player to come into the league in the last 15 years or so.
Since day one, he was simply astounding... Simply dominant. A brat coming out of a college ball that he became desinterested on because of teams triple-teaming him down low every single possession. a guy that, while in college, had Kareem Abdull-Jabbar and Bill Walton tutor him.

He came to the NBA with a bang: 23-14 for one of the worst franchises ever. This while destroying two blackboards, Chocolate-Thunder-style. This while getting freezed-over in the ASG.

His second year, at age 21, showed the monster he was: 29-13 in .600FG%. He couldn't be stopped. He was everywhere: movies, highlight reels, music.

He led a team of unproven, trigger happy kids to the Finals.

He then went his ways to LA, where he won 3 rings and 3 Finals MVP.

Sayings like "Shaq can't be stopped. We only hope we are able to contain him". "It all starts and ends with Shaq" "we are still trying to figure out what happened to us" were seldom used since his first day in the league.

Yeah this was your once-in-a-generation, bigger-than-life lovalble giant.

But now, i remember those early years and reminesc a lot about it. Shaq is no longer The Diesel, The Big Aristotle. He is fading. His body is showing the years of beating it had to endure. He is no longer the Most Dominant One.

But still, i have to admire The Big Lug for not losing his spirit. To promise championships. For, in his mind, he is still the player he once was.

When Shaq is gone, there will be noone left. Not from his era. The era of Michael Jordan, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson and Pat Ewing.

Will anyone miss him?
I share your thoughts yes, but a pointless waste of a thread nonetheless

· 15 STRONG
27,437 Posts
pmac34 said:
I share your thoughts yes, but a pointless waste of a thread nonetheless
2 weeks ago, this wouldn't have been said. Sure, Shaq is declining just like any past-their-prime player, but he gets hurt and has a few bad games, and they want to push him off the boat........

He's still the #1 or atleast #2 center in the league. He's still dominant when healthy. If you think he's no longer effective, ask the other post players in the league.

· That'll do Pigley...
51,186 Posts
I won't miss him. Out with the old, in with the new. The 90's needs to die and we need to see a new style of basketball. I won't miss Shaq, because it's not like he's going anywhere. Watch him get a talk show.

Reactions: justasking?

· Banned
145 Posts
Shaq_Diesel said:
2 weeks ago, this wouldn't have been said. Sure, Shaq is declining just like any past-their-prime player, but he gets hurt and has a few bad games, and they want to push him off the boat........

He's still the #1 or atleast #2 center in the league. He's still dominant when healthy. If you think he's no longer effective, ask the other post players in the league.
Exactly. Funny that the best defense of player in the world. Ben Wallace looks like a doll defending the diesel. All this haters want him to quit dominating. Is usually the Laker groupies. Shaq still has some more good basketball left in the tank.

2,289 Posts
Shaq_Diesel said:
Obviously you must be considering Zydrunas as the other #1 center :biggrin:

· kiss my grits
18,595 Posts

Saddened? For what? The guy is a top 50 player, has 3 rings, is considered one of the most dominant players ever, has made hundreds of millions, has a beautiful wife and a set of healthy kids. Wtf is there to be saddened about?

· Banned
3,113 Posts
JNice said:

Saddened? For what? The guy is a top 50 player, has 3 rings, is considered one of the most dominant players ever, has made hundreds of millions, has a beautiful wife and a set of healthy kids. Wtf is there to be saddened about?
we cant see him dominate like the Shaq of pre-2003

· Registered
4,411 Posts
JNice said:

Word :clap:

Id rep you but my computer wont let me..

· Registered
14,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JNice said:

Well, if you want to go that way, what about: Grant Hill getting hurt? who cares? He is a millionaire. He doesn't heve to work every last day of his life. His family and his kids are well taken care off. Why whould i care Grant hill can't play basketball no more?

· Registered
4,411 Posts
PauloCatarino said:
Well, if you want to go that way, what about: Grant Hill getting hurt? who cares? He is a millionaire. He doesn't heve to work every last day of his life. His family and his kids are well taken care off. Why whould i care Grant hill can't play basketball no more?
Word version 2.0.

Grant Hill married Tamia..and Tamia>>>>>Shaq's wife.

· kiss my grits
18,595 Posts
PauloCatarino said:

Big difference. Hill was robbed of the prime of his career and Shaq never faced the type of injuries and adversity Hill has. And to add, I believe Hill's wife has MS. Not exactly a perfectly clean bill of health for the fam.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.