Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard this in a couple of papers.

Now this from the only source from Hoopsworld I respect

SAM AND ROB: Wow have things in Toronto gone that bad? A well placed Raptors source explained some of the back story going on in Toronto – apparently Sam Mitchell has been leading a campaign to get to know the principal operators of the Raptors, and has spent a large amount of time on the phone and in private meetings with high ranking Raptor personalities, the results of this “campaign” seems to be Sam distancing himself from GM Rob Babcock, who could be fired any day. Apparently ownership has soured on Babcock’s manner and with the appearance of his coach distancing himself from the situation, Babcock may find himself outside looking in at the coach he hand picked, under the belief he could control him. Sam apparently joked with a group of reporters who asked if a trade could be coming, where Sam replied, he couldn’t get a trade done, even if he wanted to. The marriage in Toronto seems to be coming to an end; the question becomes who keeps the house after the split?
http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_14961.shtml


I was watching a Leaf game a week and a bit ago and Sam was sitting next to Larry Tannenbaum in Larry's seats.

I am not a rumour monger, this stuff is happening. I wonder where and when the breaking point is as Speedy and myself pointed out, this team may not get a win before it reaches double-digit losses.

For once, it seems the GM may get the axe before the coach.

Unless Sam can claim Ukic, Calderon, Graham and Villenueva as his responsibility, I don't know what he brings to the table. Sam is the one IMO that is too loyal to Jalen and not buying enough into the kids, even when they earn their minutes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,876 Posts
Absolutely no substance here. Mitchell getting to know the upper brass is to be expected, as he's got to cover his @@@ as best he can. Babs being fired after having such a good offseason would be a huge blackmark for on the organization. He gets till the end of his contract, if it's not extended beforehand.

Don't let these losses fool you. Rob should have everyone ready for them and even excited by them. Babs and co should be drooling over a top 5 pick as much as we are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,876 Posts
And of course the Denver pick is looking better by the day.

I think this is much more a case of Mitchell being a little concerned for his job. Hope he was reassured by the higher ups that this is a rebuilding year where some leniency is in order.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SkywalkerAC said:
Absolutely no substance here. Mitchell getting to know the upper brass is to be expected, as he's got to cover his @@@ as best he can. Babs being fired after having such a good offseason would be a huge blackmark for on the organization. He gets till the end of his contract, if it's not extended beforehand.

Don't let these losses fool you. Rob should have everyone ready for them and even excited by them. Babs and co should be drooling over a top 5 pick as much as we are.
I don't disagree, but when it comes to basketball, I don't think the blankheads at MLSE have a Blanking clue about anything not blue and white.
 

·
duke of new york, a#1
Joined
·
16,132 Posts
I doubt it.


But we might see Jim Todd coaching the team before the all-star break if things keep going the way they're going.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,876 Posts
blowuptheraptors said:
I don't disagree, but when it comes to basketball, I don't think the blankheads at MLSE have a Blanking clue about anything not blue and white.

I think you might be suprised.

GG got his time, though probably too much, and Babcock will likely get the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,507 Posts
The Raptors organization would lose even more credibility if Babcock was fired now. The realization has finally set in with most people that this team has just started the rebulilding process and not to expect any quick results. To expect results now would be pointless.

Right now I am not the biggest fan of Sam Mitchell, but we all must remember that we are dealing with...a rookie coach, a rookie GM and a team full of rookies, so there will be a learning curve

Rob should be evaluated on what kind of team he puts together once he is lifted from the restraints placed upon him by the previous regime. That would mean the 2007/8 season
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
speedythief said:
I doubt it.


But we might see Jim Todd coaching the team before the all-star break if things keep going the way they're going.
JIM TODD?! ---- NO!!!
 
  • Like
Reactions: JS03

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,201 Posts
TRON said:
The Raptors organization would lose even more credibility if Babcock was fired now. The realization has finally set in with most people that this team has just started the rebulilding process and not to expect any quick results. To expect results now would be pointless.

Right now I am not the biggest fan of Sam Mitchell, but we all must remember that we are dealing with...a rookie coach, a rookie GM and a team full of rookies, so there will be a learning curve

Rob should be evaluated on what kind of team he puts together once he is lifted from the restraints placed upon him by the previous regime. That would mean the 2007/8 season
Sophomore, Sam and Rob are sophomores, not rookies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,876 Posts
Just say no to Silas.

Porter showed something as a rookie coach, but that team's success may have been TJ Ford's doing. However, I think he'd be as close to Sam Mitchell as you can find out there.

I still think Sam has good potential as a head coach. Losing streaks certainly do put a damper on things though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SkywalkerAC said:
I think you might be suprised.

GG got his time, though probably too much, and Babcock will likely get the same.
GG was different. His first moves bought him a lot of time. First impressions last longest and mean most. He lived off VC for a long time.

Babs messed up on Hoffa and did well on 4 picks this year plus Calderon. What lasts, Hoffa? (and Morons who don't know **** who ***** about the VC trade)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,400 Posts
What the hell is the point of firing anyone?

Hell, no man in this world can come in and make the Raptors play harder. There is nothing anybody can do - the Raptors are rebuilding and with that come losses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,318 Posts
I hope Babcock isn't fired. I'm not a big fan of Mitchell, however, and I'd like to see him start playing our young guns more often because it's obvious we're not going anywhere anytime soon. If we're going to lose, let's lose and have the rooks/Hoffa gain some experience. Last game was an improvement with Jalen playing less and Charlie more, but I wish Mitchell would play Joey more than 15 minutes and actually let Hoffa show his stuff. I'm not going to call for his head here as I haven't actually watched anything more than postgame highlights this season, but I'm going to be able to watch both games vs. Philadelphia this week (thank God everyone in south Jersey loves Philly sports). I hope he's better with his body language and enthusiasm than I've heard, but we'll see. I'll be back after the Philly games.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JS03

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,215 Posts
hmmm...i would hope the MLSE asked babcock what his "plans" where for this team..and what kind of time period we would be looking at to becoming a winning franchise again...and i hope they liked his answer which is the reason that they hired him..and would give him AT THE LEAST that much time before giving him his termination papers....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,400 Posts
Don't you people undertand what rebuilding is?

The Bulls did it after the Jordan era. The Raptors are doing it after the Carter <del>era</del> pains.

1. Trade Carter.
2. Get draft picks.
3. Draft those picks.
4. Let the drafted players play.

Right now our roster is filled with rookies, second-year guys, and third-year guys. We have a very few vets and those that we do they are uncabable of producing anything solid for this team in terms helping hte team win.

Babcock's agenda was to rebuild. He's doing it now. Why fire him?
 

·
duke of new york, a#1
Joined
·
16,132 Posts
MLSE knows.

But you can't hide behind the fact that we're rebuilding, or the supposed three-year plan. You have to show signs that you're going in the right direction.

Babcock still has to make the right decisions to execute his plan.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top