Votes: 25 80.6%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warriors Record Before Acquiring: 16-38
Warriors Record Since Acquiring: 13-7

Warriors have won 6 in a row. In those games, Baron is averaging: 26.3 pts, 10.8 ast, 5.2 reb, 2.2 stl.

Warriors have won 9 of 10, including @SAC, @ PHO, SAC, SEA, HOU.

Others to consider: Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, Stephon Marbury, Allen Iverson, Dwyane Wade, Mike Bibby, Gilbert Arenas, Steve Francis, Tony Parker

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
He is one of the best PG's in the league, but Nash and Kidd are still better than him IMO, but the way he played against the rockets, that was simply unbelievable!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
First of all Stephon Marbury said whos the best PG in the league. He must be trusted about his words. End of discussion :D

And now for real. Steve Nash is better. And if healthy Baron Davis IMHO is better than Kidd. If healthy it means.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Healthy Baron > any other point guard in the league.

In the span of 20 games he's done what Nash has done for the Suns, except in Barons case the Warriors have far less talent so he has to score as well.

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
He's up there, but I definately say that Steve Nash is ahead of him. Just look at what he's done in Phoenix. Baron is good when he wants to be, but I think that's his main problem. You have to bring it out there each and every single night, no matter what the circumstances are. It's good to see Baron happy, and playing with some intensity, and I hope it will last. Another thing that's been said time and time again is his injury problems, if he wants to be considered as one of the best point guards in the league, he's going to have to stay healthy.

·
Premium Member
6,651 Posts
RIGHT NOW, Baron could arguably be considered the best PG in the league. Between the numbers, the victories, and the influence he's had on the Warriors clubhouse, he's done about the same thing Steve Nash has done with Phoenix.

One could argue that Nash's acomplishments are greater since he's (1) kept them up an entire season thus far and (2) has done them with the pressure of trying to assure his ball club the best record in the NBA.

ANOTHER thing to consider is this--is Baron in shape yet? Coming off the injuries he's had, you've gotta consider that he's not really 100% yet...which is the scary thing.

It'll be VERY interesting to see what happens next year. With the pressure of expectation going into the 05-06 season, the game will be a different beast. I'm confident B-Diddy (and co.) will handle it just fine, though.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
If he was a 100% healthy, then there would be no doubt in my mind that he is the best point guard in the league. Injuries have messed up his chances.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Not this season. Steve Nash is the best point guard this season, but since recovering from his injury Baron Davis has made a solid case for himself. I think next season when he plays a full season he will be in debates around the league as the top point guard especially if he can lead the Warriors to the playoffs.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
He is without a doubt a very talented guard, and next year will most likely lead GS to the playoffs. That will make him a top guard, when he accomplishes that.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Haven't watched too many Golden State games (can't blame me, they are not on National TV a lot) but Baron was selected as NBA All Second team last year (I think ) and that's pretty impresive already, even though I thought Nash should be there.

The thing about Baron is that he is a bit like Francis in a sense that they focus more on finding their shots than his teammates. That's the difference between Point Guard and Shooting Guard. I am not sure how many shots Baron takes but I bet it's the top 1-2 on the team. To me, he sounds more like a scoring guard than a pointing guard whose main job is to run the offense, not shooting the ball that often.

Having said that, most of the PGs in the league are scoring PGs, like Francis who clearly isn't very good at pass. So the only great pass-first PGs are Nash and Kidd.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
jibikao said:
Haven't watched too many Golden State games (can't blame me, they are not on National TV a lot) but Baron was selected as NBA All Second team last year (I think ) and that's pretty impresive already, even though I thought Nash should be there.

The thing about Baron is that he is a bit like Francis in a sense that they focus more on finding their shots than his teammates. That's the difference between Point Guard and Shooting Guard. I am not sure how many shots Baron takes but I bet it's the top 1-2 on the team. To me, he sounds more like a scoring guard than a pointing guard whose main job is to run the offense, not shooting the ball that often.

Having said that, most of the PGs in the league are scoring PGs, like Francis who clearly isn't very good at pass. So the only great pass-first PGs are Nash and Kidd.
Don't even bring up Francis' name in a sentence with Baron Davis when comparing their 'PG' skills. Francis is a SG who does not want to pass, Baron Davis usually does a good job of setting up his teammates and himself. It is OK if a PG can score, as long as he can find the fine line between passing (getting his teammates involve) and scoring (getting himself involve). Isaiah Thomas had done that, Tim Hardaway had done that, Kevin Johnson had done that, and now Baron Davis is doing it. When you say you rarely watched a team's games in your opening comment, the last thing you want to do in the next sentences is critizising that team's player(s).

With that been said, Baron Davis does tend to hold the ball a little too often in his hands and he can still improve from his shot selections. But if you want to find a 'pure' PG in this league, Baron Davis is right up there with JKidd and Nash.

·
Premium Member
6,651 Posts
MightyReds2020 said:
Don't even bring up Francis' name in a sentence with Baron Davis when comparing their 'PG' skills. Francis is a SG who does not want to pass, Baron Davis usually does a good job of setting up his teammates and himself. It is OK if a PG can score, as long as he can find the fine line between passing (getting his teammates involve) and scoring (getting himself involve). Isaiah Thomas had done that, Tim Hardaway had done that, Kevin Johnson had done that, and now Baron Davis is doing it. When you say you rarely watched a team's games in your opening comment, the last thing you want to do in the next sentences is critizising that team's player(s).

With that been said, Baron Davis does tend to hold the ball a little too often in his hands and he can still improve from his shot selections. But if you want to find a 'pure' PG in this league, Baron Davis is right up there with JKidd and Nash.
Woah, woah, woah!!! Slow down there, Big Red. While I love B-Diddy and can't stand The Cancer...uh...Franchise, I kind of agree with jibikao IN THE SENSE that there are PGs that look to score as part of their game and those who don't. Red, you brought up GREAT examples of PGs that score in Zeke, Timmy, and K.J. I immediately think of Timmy when Baron's on the floor--both scored a lot and looked to score, but could set the team up and dish as well.

I think the problem here is an old school/new school thing where old timers want the PG who sets both feet, passes w/ 2 hands, and doesn't shoot the ball unless it's the last resort (Nash). New school fans recognize that PGs of today are ABSOLUTELY capable of scoring their share and sharing the love as well...as Diddy shows night in and night out since moving to the five-and-dime.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know we all don't like Baron's shoot selection (0-8 from 3 last night), but I was hearing Dunleavy talk after the game about it. He said that it keeps the D honest, and it's true. He needs to shoot 3's in order to show the D he can do it. Then he will be able to drive into the lane more often, as they can't back off on him. I don't think he is a pass first PG, but I do think he makes teammates better and knows how to set the table. Look at Pietrus as an example, the guy is playing out of his mind right now.

·
Premium Member
6,651 Posts
a GREAT point on forcing the D to play you honest. sometimes, the timing of his perimeter shots is questionable, but you do have to take those shots.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
If he stay's healthy, I think he is the best in the league. Here's hoping he gets in shape in the offseason. Not many players in the league have the skills Baron Davis has.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Baron is a great pg, one of the best without question and hes been one of the reasons GS has had this good run, however he's not the best in the league. Nash is the best this season and kidd as always is doing an awesome job at pg. If he can keep this kind of play up next season though he definitely has a case to be made, these last 10 or so games have been pretty amazing.

·
Say Cheese
3,842 Posts
Baron will be the best PG in the league, next season. Give this young, athletic team an offseason to work together, WOW! I am excited for the Warriors next year....If Foyle didn't have that contract, you guys would be able to go and get a guy like Tyson Chandler...Mullin has done a pretty good job sans that Foyle contract...

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think he has definitely shown the potential, although he has to show he can keep it up over a healthy season.

Over the last 13 games (up to Denver game): 25.3 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 9.2 apg and 2.3 spg.

His FG% is only 44%, but as always, that is a meaningless statistic to actually measure efficiency. With all his 3-pointers and his ability to get to the line, his PPFGA - PTS/(FGA+FTA*.44) - is a very robust 1.125, the equivalent of 56.25% shooting all two-pointers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts