Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this and don't know, but surely this would be a loss for Xavier.

According to several sources, the final choice came down to Xavier Director of Athletics Mike Bobinski and Army Director of Athletics Boo Corrigan.

While Corrigan was perceived by many people (including myself) as the front-runner, Bobinski may have moved to the top of the list in the last few days.
BC focusing on Bobinski?/

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
I think it would be a pretty big loss if he did leave right now, particularly given the past 12 months in the basketball program. The basketball and athletics program he's built over the past 12 years is pretty impressive. I think why he's itching to leave is if he wants to become the AD at Notre Dame when Swarbrick is done, he is going to need football school experience. Another thing is that he is significantly underpaid compared to a lot of his counterparts. I think Xavier's last filing only show him around $225,000. He could easily triple that somewhere.

·
Registered
790 Posts
As corny as it sounds, sometimes people like Bobinski decide that they just like the school they are employed by. It is different for everyone, but from where I sit, it appears that he is happy doing what he does. A better paying job is not necessarily what gets them turned on. And, there are many instances of a guy chasing an ever increasing paycheck and then landing up out on his ass. I just hope Bobinski stays. He has done a great job.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
I think Bobinski has an interest in running a BCS football athletic program. If he really, truly desires it, he probably needs to take a MAC type AD job first.

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
I think Bobinski has an interest in running a BCS football athletic program. If he really, truly desires it, he probably needs to take a MAC type AD job first.
Huh? He was the AD at Akron during the mid 90's. You don't regress in your career 15 years. Further, you don't leave Xavier and its high profile national positioning in men's basketball as well as NCAA men's basketball committee chairman to take a Bowling Green, Miami, Kent, Akron type job. That was kind of out of left field, Adam.

I think he's trying to go after a BCS football job, because he eventually wants the ND job when Swarbrick is out (Bobinski is an ND grad and worked as a finance manager in their athletic department after he left the Walt Disney Company). Add to that, he's very underpaid, giving him more incentive to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
So he hasn't administratively run a football program in 15 years? And somehow I am off-base? In today's landscape, it will be extremely tough to get a good BCS AD gig without recent success leading a football driven program.

In the AD world, going from Xavier to the MAC isn't inherently a step down. School by school basis. I'd say the AD jobs at MiamiO and Ohio U are a step up from Xavier. But even still, like I said, if a BCS football gig is something he desires, even taking a step down in overall prestige is probably a step forward on that career path.

I don't know what he ultimately wants. Perhaps he applies for jobs in the hopes of leveraging another offer into a nice raise and added benefits at Xavier. It's possible. But if he does want the ND gig, he's better off getting into the football world well before Swarbrick hangs 'em up.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Norwood Teague was at a non-football school at VCU and got a Big 10 AD job at Minnesota this past off season.

You certainly don't need to be at a football school to get a BCS AD job.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
The new AD at BC has his work cut out for him. Former BC AD Gene DeFilippo was a tyrant that fired many winning coaches. The only exception was longtime hockey coach Jerry York who has won multiple national championships. The formerly successful football and Men's and women's basketball programs are really hurting at this time.

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
So he hasn't administratively run a football program in 15 years? And somehow I am off-base?

In the AD world, going from Xavier to the MAC isn't inherently a step down. School by school basis. I'd say the AD jobs at MiamiO and Ohio U are a step up from Xavier. But even still, like I said, if a BCS football gig is something he desires, even taking a step down in overall prestige is probably a step forward on that career path.
I suppose he'll be applying for the Miami OH job now that their AD is gone?

I'm just not sure taking a step backwards 15 years in your career is a good move, no matter your industry.

I'd also be interested to hear your analysis of why Miami and Ohio U are step-ups from Xavier and the rest of the A-10 conference in terms of AD. He could go from leading one of the most consistently successful men's basketball programs in the country ranked by Forbes as one of the most valuable in the nation and which has led him to be chairman of the NCAA men's basketball committee... or go to Oxford or Athens OH so he can lead MAC-level football programs which he already did for a number of years?

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Xavierhoops - the ONLY reason I think Bobinski could have a problem moving to a BCS school is that the football people might try to block it. I just don't see it though. My bet is that Bobinski was offered the BC job and turned it down.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Xavierhoops -. My bet is that Bobinski was offered the BC job and turned it down.
My understanding from normally reliable people is that this is exactly what happened.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I suppose he'll be applying for the Miami OH job now that their AD is gone?

I'm just not sure taking a step backwards 15 years in your career is a good move, no matter your industry.

I'd also be interested to hear your analysis of why Miami and Ohio U are step-ups from Xavier and the rest of the A-10 conference in terms of AD. He could go from leading one of the most consistently successful men's basketball programs in the country ranked by Forbes as one of the most valuable in the nation and which has led him to be chairman of the NCAA men's basketball committee... or go to Oxford or Athens OH so he can lead MAC-level football programs which he already did for a number of years?
You have a point, except Akron has always sucked in Football. Athens is not in a major city, but I don't think any A10 program could look down on Ohio. They also made it to the sweet sixteen and look to be a much stronger team than X this year. Their football program is polling consistently near the Top 25 and currently #26.

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
If I were an AD, I'd take a number of A-10 schools anyday over OU, such as VCU, Butler, Dayton and Xavier. I'm guessing we won't agree on that and that's OK, but I just think the A-10 and particularly a school that has had the sustained, national success such as Xavier over the past decade plus offers a lot more than a school in the MAC (especially when you've already been an AD in that setting some 15 years ago).

And OU makes it to the Sweet 16 one year, suddenly becomes a great place for AD's? By that standard, X ought to have one of the top 4 AD's in the country along with Michigan St, Kansas and North Carolina.

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
I wasn't arguing about a couple extra Sweet 16's. But again, my opinion, if I were in the AD world, I'd take a job at a number of A-10 schools before a MAC school, particularly one that has been one of the most highly successful, consistent programs on a national level over the past decade or so. You would take OU over A-10 conference schools, and that's OK to disagree.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts