Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really getting sick of the fact that the buzz that surrounds the Bulls in this city is almost non-existant compared to the buzz surrounding other teams. Does anyone else notice this?

I live in the South Loop and spend a lot of time on the Northside and the West Side and the Near South Side and I swear, in March I passed people talking about the Cubs about 30 times and the Bulls not even once.

What does it take to get into the Bulls people? I goto the bars in the area for Bulls games, and it seems people would rather watch college basketball (Big 12 basketball no less) then watch the Bulls. The Bulls are just a sideshow to them. What more does it take to make people fans again? I drag 2 of my best friends to the bar to watch every game and even they could care less still. The only reason they would know the Bulls were doing good is because of me. In fact, I am the only true Bulls fan I know. What is the deal people?

I know I am ranting a bit (not going to lie, alcohol might have a little to do with it) but I am sick of trying to spark up a convo about the Bulls and have people ask me how 'those 2 high school kids' are doing, which is what I got tonight. Do they know that the Bulls are currently Chicago's only halfway decent team? AHHH I guess if Jordan isn't on the team, most of the city could care less about NBA basketball...

·
BAIT
12,946 Posts
Just wait. The bandwagon will come, they're just a little late. I don't think they realize what this team is capable of.

But I'm already hearin people buzz about the Bulls. Just today I was playing poker and these guys were talking about the Illini loss. I mentioned not to worry because the Bulls will make us quickly forget it. To which a man replied, "Nobody can beat them in a seven game series. Only Miami." And my friend agreed. Then I said, "And Detroit..." And got no response until the man said "No. We'll slaughter Detroit."

When they come out. They come out hard, and they'll be drunk of kool aid.

·
Old-Timer
2,619 Posts
The average fans in Chicago have never followed basketball religiously. They only start following the Bulls when they're really good and they basically have no choice (see: the 90s). Even then, they're bandwagon fans and will stop following as soon as there's any drop in the win total. You'll have to get used to it. There's a small buzz about the Bulls right now, but only minimal (as you've experienced). If we win a couple playoff series, more people will start watching, but until then, forget it.

This is a football town and always has been. If you listen to sports radio, there is a lot of talk about the Bears all year round, no matter what. It's become a Cubs town in the last few years, just because there's reason for people to care, but football always comes first. It's sad, considering the Bears are a very unsuccessful and borderline-pitiful franchise.

But, whatever, '85 Champs, baby!!!

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
UMfan83 said:
I am really getting sick of the fact that the buzz that surrounds the Bulls in this city is almost non-existant compared to the buzz surrounding other teams. Does anyone else notice this?

I live in the South Loop and spend a lot of time on the Northside and the West Side and the Near South Side and I swear, in March I passed people talking about the Cubs about 30 times and the Bulls not even once.

What does it take to get into the Bulls people? I goto the bars in the area for Bulls games, and it seems people would rather watch college basketball (Big 12 basketball no less) then watch the Bulls. The Bulls are just a sideshow to them. What more does it take to make people fans again? I drag 2 of my best friends to the bar to watch every game and even they could care less still. The only reason they would know the Bulls were doing good is because of me. In fact, I am the only true Bulls fan I know. What is the deal people?

I know I am ranting a bit (not going to lie, alcohol might have a little to do with it) but I am sick of trying to spark up a convo about the Bulls and have people ask me how 'those 2 high school kids' are doing, which is what I got tonight. Do they know that the Bulls are currently Chicago's only halfway decent team? AHHH I guess if Jordan isn't on the team, most of the city could care less about NBA basketball...
Now you know why I'm on these boards! Ny friends are either CUbs, Sox, or Bears fans. That's it.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I went with a friend to a bar the night the Bulls beat Cleveland last week. They had the replay of a Sox exhibition playing as they didn't know the Bulls were playing on national tv so I had them turn the game on. My friend is a head basketball coach at a local high school and was stunned how well the Bulls play. He made comments about how he didn't realize how hard they played, how he enjoyed their defense and offensive sets. He has been watching them since. I've turned a few other friends back on to the Bulls as well after they gave them a chance and watched a few games.

One obvious reason people don't care about the Bulls is we've sucked so bad and put such a crappy product on the floor, people totally lost interest in the NBA. Also the Chicago media goes ga-ga over anything the Cubs and Bears do the Bulls are third fiddle in this town. Hopefully we make a respectable showing in the playoffs. Too bad we will not have Luol and may not have Eddy. :curse:

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
PC Load Letter said:
The average fans in Chicago have never followed basketball religiously. They only start following the Bulls when they're really good and they basically have no choice (see: the 90s). Even then, they're bandwagon fans and will stop following as soon as there's any drop in the win total. You'll have to get used to it. There's a small buzz about the Bulls right now, but only minimal (as you've experienced). If we win a couple playoff series, more people will start watching, but until then, forget it.

This is a football town and always has been. If you listen to sports radio, there is a lot of talk about the Bears all year round, no matter what. It's become a Cubs town in the last few years, just because there's reason for people to care, but football always comes first. It's sad, considering the Bears are a very unsuccessful and borderline-pitiful franchise.

But, whatever, '85 Champs, baby!!!
Bingo, hit the nail on the head!

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
PC is exactly right...at least since the Payton days of the Bears, this has been a Bears town, with the Cubs/Sox rivalry being the next biggest story (although I sure remember being in empty Comiskey Park and empty Wrigley Field when I first started going to games in grade school.

But it is a Bears town. Remember -- the SNL Superfans were originally all about DaBears and Ditka. It was only later that they started on DaBulls and Michael.

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/90/90jsuperfans.phtml

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
UMfan83 said:

It's a Bears, Cubs and Michael Jordan town dude. Thats just the way it is.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
All of the bandwagon fans see the Bulls winning on the news, espn, etc....
and may here that we are currently the 4 seed. But I don't think they will realize how well the Bulls are doing without a visual

Eastern Confernce Standings (by record)

Miami
Detriot
Chicago
Washington
Indiana
Boston
Clevalnd
Phili
New Jersey
Orlando
Torrnto
New York
Milwaukee
Charlotte
Atlanta

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
I tell ya what really sucks...being a HUGE Bulls fan and living in Louisville Ky. Noone here seems interested in NBA basketball at all. I have to watch all of the games by myself and when I start excitedly talking about Bulls stuff the conversation quickly gets turned to UK or UL (who I like as well just not nearly as much). I will be watching the playoffs all by myself on my couch... :cry:

When I came to Chicago for the fan apprecciation exhibition it was just SO neat to be near Bulls fans. I mean, I talked to this one guy in line who was bringing his young son there and his son had like all the jerseys and autographs from a whole bunch of players and they were plotting how to get more at the signing session. And of course I met a couple of board friends while I was down there and we could really get into talking basketball. I wish there was a Bulls fan nearby that I knew, it's just so cool to be able to talk Bulls ball face to face which is something I pretty much never get to do. Anyway, enough of my rant...

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
I agree that people only really hop on the bandwagon a little while after the Bulls have become good. I also think they've been so bad for so long, as opposed to being up and down, which can create a total disconnect between the team and the fans. However, I do think the fact that the attendance has been so strong during the lean years indicates there are still some fans out there. We rightfully should have had Atlanta-like attendance levels, but that never happened.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
you know I don't know about yuo guys but I don't really think talking basketball with a bandwagoner is all that fun. They aren't nearly as knowledgable as most of you guys around here.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Clearly, from a historical perspective, Chicago is simply not a basketball town. It wasn't until 1966 that a NBA franchise stuck, and those early years were pretty lean. It took MJ and a string of championships (something Chicago fans were not exactly used to) to get the city's attention.

For basketball purists, the current Bulls are a joy to watch. They play team ball and tenacious D. Though they're clearly one of the better teams in the league, they had no all stars, and even if the all star team was picked today, almost certainly still wouldn't have any. They're an unusual team, and unusual in a way that is contrary to how the league is marketed and contrary to what traditionally attracts the "casual fan."

Most of my friends are true sports fans (not casual fans), and like me, are big-time Chicago "homers." However, I'm the only one who is acknowledged as a real "Bulls' fan." These guys were starting to get interested in the Bulls before the NCAA tourney diverted their attention. Now it's the Cubs/Sox.

Making the playoffs will help. Winning a playoff series will help more. This would hook the true sports fans, but not the casual fans. Casual fans follow what is "fashionable." The Bulls need to make the conference finals to have a shot at becoming fashionable.

Right now, the Bulls are still our little secret. I'm OK with that.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
all the way from Phoenix I can sense there is not that much Bulls Buzz in Chitown. How can i do this?

seriously, I was thinking about that last week. I wonder if Chicago Bullsmania was largely a Jordan based craze. It is a Bears and Cubs town

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
ace20004u said:
you know I don't know about yuo guys but I don't really think talking basketball with a bandwagoner is all that fun. They aren't nearly as knowledgable as most of you guys around here.
Yeah, I hate to get uptight about it, but it can be annoying. So many people don't know who half of the players are and just know whatever the rumors or conventional wisdom is and nothing beyond that. I'm happy to see people when they are getting excited about the team for sure. There aren't many people though that you can have a good give and take discussion with. Oh well. I couldn't name more than one or two people on the Blackhawks and I guess a local hockey purist would find that just as annoying.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
transplant said:
For basketball purists, the current Bulls are a joy to watch. They play team ball and tenacious D.

So now I understand why some people don't like Nocioni. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
ace20004u said:
I wish there was a Bulls fan nearby that I knew, it's just so cool to be able to talk Bulls ball face to face which is something I pretty much never get to do. Anyway, enough of my rant...

Not to, uh, rub it in or anything Ace, but for those of us that ARE in Chicago, is there any chance of some kind of BBB playoff get together? I can't host, unfortunately, but I can chip in. I would be interested... :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
BealeFarange said:
Not to, uh, rub it in or anything Ace, but for those of us that ARE in Chicago, is there any chance of some kind of BBB playoff get together? I can't host, unfortunately, but I can chip in. I would be interested... :biggrin:

They did a get together for the draft, unfortunately I couldn't come, I think it was at Goose Island brew pub. I would love to come to some event and meet the gang. Of course I would be driving up from Louisville so I would want to go to a game or something too probably. Maybe the next time something is set up we will be shaking hands and toasting the Bulls!

:clap: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
ace20004u said:
They did a get together for the draft, unfortunately I couldn't come, I think it was at Goose Island brew pub. I would love to come to some event and meet the gang. Of course I would be driving up from Louisville so I would want to go to a game or something too probably. Maybe the next time something is set up we will be shaking hands and toasting the Bulls!

:clap: :cheers:
Hey! If there's going to be a get together for the playoffs, I'd really enjoy it. I'll try to stay tuned, but in case I miss a post, someone please PM me.

·
Lux Tax Avoider
5,988 Posts
Isn't there a poster who swore he'd host a huge barbecue at his house if the Bulls made the playoffs?

GB, re Noce and puristic-ness: I don't recall those old Celtics and UCLA teams having a court-jester type player flopping all over the court and causing generally unproductive mayhem. Could you pls. ask spongy to vidcap some footage for me? TIA

1 - 20 of 22 Posts