Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will he ever be an adequate rebounder and defender? Will he ever be a consistent 20+PPG starter? Will he ever have the fire inside that it takes to become a superstar in the NBA? Or will he become nothing more than an average big man who can score but not much else? This are some tough questions and ones that I hope Paxson has the right answer to.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
I don't know but I definitley think the Bulls should wait. If Curry does put it all together he will be a momster. Sure, right now that looks like a big "if". But we have to remember that even though he isn't doing everything he needs to do yet he IS doing some things.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
We got to wait until this summer atleast. We are in no hurry for the remainder of this season. If we get our hands on Okafor, I think Curry is gone. With Okafor, we dont have to wait anymore. Chandler and Okafor would be effective right away, with JYD and AD backing the positions up. We'd have the best post play in the east. Plus we could probably get a good small forward in exchange for Curry. Then, if we do the exchange with the Clippers everyone is talking about, we have:

PG - Hinrich/Jaric
SG - JC/Jaric
SF - (Guy in trade for Curry)/Dupree
PF - Okafor/JYD
C - Chandler/Davis

The guy we get for Curry would have to be a shooter/scorer who can play adaquete defense.

·
Moderator/Head Decepticon
7,624 Posts
Originally posted by <b>John The Cool Kid</b>!
We got to wait until this summer atleast. We are in no hurry for the remainder of this season. If we get our hands on Okafor, I think Curry is gone. With Okafor, we dont have to wait anymore. Chandler and Okafor would be effective right away, with JYD and AD backing the positions up. We'd have the best post play in the east. Plus we could probably get a good small forward in exchange for Curry. Then, if we do the exchange with the Clippers everyone is talking about, we have:

PG - Hinrich/Jaric
SG - JC/Jaric
SF - (Guy in trade for Curry)/Dupree
PF - Okafor/JYD
C - Chandler/Davis

The guy we get for Curry would have to be a shooter/scorer who can play adaquete defense.
Wouldn't there be a chance that Okafor would have to take time to develop? Even though he's a beast, everyone has to take at least a year or so to get used to the team's style of play. I'm not sure how long we'd have to "wait" for him to get used to the team, because he's already great on defense, so I can see why you think he'd make an immediate impact for us. I'm just trying to say we shouldn't try to rush things and hope for a permanent solution to our problems ASAP.

One thing's for sure though, Chandler and Okafor would probably be the best defensive frontcourt in the league if both of them are able to stay healthy and develop correclty.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I believe that Curry gets one more season to prove his long term worth with the team. He will not be traded unless some earth shattering deal comes along.

Curry is already a good offensive center. He goes through lapses offensively at times, but from a pure scoring standpoint he is a top 5 center in the L. Where I've always had the problem with Curry is in defense and rebounding. Call me old fashioned but I would want my 5's to play good defense and clear the boards first, and score second. It is not so with Curry.

Last night Curry had a good scoring night, but only 2 rebounds. He didn't get his 1st rebound until 3 minutes in to the 4th quarter. That is simply unacceptable. Worse yet, it seemed Camby and especially Nene were having their way physically w/ young Eddy. FYI Camby had 24 rebounds last night.

As I've said before, I seriously question how good a defender and rebounder Curry can become. He has yet to shake the label of 'soft' in my mind.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Devastator</b>!
Wouldn't there be a chance that Okafor would have to take time to develop? Even though he's a beast, everyone has to take at least a year or so to get used to the team's style of play. I'm not sure how long we'd have to "wait" for him to get used to the team, because he's already great on defense, so I can see why you think he'd make an immediate impact for us. I'm just trying to say we shouldn't try to rush things and hope for a permanent solution to our problems ASAP.

One thing's for sure though, Chandler and Okafor would probably be the best defensive frontcourt in the league if both of them are able to stay healthy and develop correclty.
Okafor is a much smarter player than Curry. I think it would take some time to adjust, but he works faster than Curry. I look at it like Hinrich and Crawford. Hinrich was the smarter player coming out of college, and hes adjusted right away because of it. Crawford has taken a few seasons to become what he is. Okafor is a hard worker, Curry is not. Okafor does the basic fundamentals of being a big man (rebound, defense), Curry does not. Curry is perhaps the better scorer, but Okafor has amazing work ethic. He may not be trailing Curry in the scoring department for long. I hate how one dimentional Curry is, it makes me sick.

I think we should keep Curry until we get an Okafor type replacement. With our record being so bad, and Orlando probably going to make a playoff run, Okafor is a huge possibility. There is no reason to keep taking such a huge risk by keeping Curry, when we can get a guy who will atleast rebound and play defense much better than EC from the get go, and will probably end up being a franchise player. We keep waiting on a player who may or may not be the player we want him to be, but we dont have to wait. The risk is unnecessary

Plus the fact Curry will probably build his trade value up again this summer by beating up on summer league players. There is not too many of those summers left, he is getting too old and people will catch on. We can get a good SF in exchange for him, and draft Okafor. That gives us some fresh faces to make us forget about the nightmare of a season this year, plus its a more talented squad, and we'd have a full offseason with Skiles... Everyones progress would be monitored. I like smart players, I dont think Curry fits that description. Imagine a backcourt led by the intelligent Hinrich, and a frontcourt led by the intelligent Okafor.

After all, basketball is 80% mental, 40% physical.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Depending on how Chandler's return goes, Okafor might erase Chandler and not Curry. Chandler's back is questionable and might always be questionable.

Okafor isn't a better version of Chandler, but one that could be just as effective in many ways. Does that change anything with Curry? Not really... but if we get rid of Crawford and Curry we may not score 60 point a game next year, seriously.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>airety</b>!
Depending on how Chandler's return goes, Okafor might erase Chandler and not Curry. Chandler's back is questionable and might always be questionable.

Okafor isn't a better version of Chandler, but one that could be just as effective in many ways. Does that change anything with Curry? Not really... but if we get rid of Crawford and Curry we may not score 60 point a game next year, seriously.
JMO but I'd prefer Chandler (if healthy) and Okafor. Defense keeps you in games.

In 2000, everyone was complaining because Miller/Brand/Artest/Mercer/Ollie weren't <i>scoring enough</i>. Outside of Brand's 20/10 and some decent shooting from Mercer, the team was strapped offensively but solid defensively. IT is easier to build a base on defense than stock your roster with offensive minded players.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It's also easier to keep an agile 7-footer and try to teach him defense than it is to find another player of that size. Okafor's got a good game, but let's not forget, if we replace Curry with him, we're losing 50 pounds and three inches off the center position. That's if we even manage to draft Okafor in the first place. Too early to think about moving Curry.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mongoose</b>!
It's also easier to keep an agile 7-footer and try to teach him defense than it is to find another player of that size. Okafor's got a good game, but let's not forget, if we replace Curry with him, we're losing 50 pounds and three inches off the center position. That's if we even manage to draft Okafor in the first place. Too early to think about moving Curry.
That 50lbs didn't seem to matter a whole lot to Camby last night :|

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
5,094 Posts
Size only matters if you use it. Okafor may be smaller, but he plays bigger.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
This team right now has no identity. Chandler and Okafor with AD/JYD off the bench gives this team an identity. They'd lead the league in rebounding, and be very good defensively.

JC has made strides in defense in shot selection, and could fit in nicely. Hinrich is defensive minded and has pretty good offense as well.

It makes Curry expendable if we get Okafor. Plus it only helps our defensive minded identity than Pax has been trying to set since he came.

The only question is, once we get Okafor, what SF to look for in exchange for Curry?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Measurements usually don't matter when someone's having a career night, true.
Size doesn't matter when you have no clue how to rebound. Boxing out, footwork, spacing, timing, solid hands, etc.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
it's interesting. the denver announcers were riding him pretty hard last night - poor conditioning, lack of college experience etc... then one of them said that when you draft a guy like curry based on "potential" that it is going to take at least FIVE YEARS for him to develop into "NBA material". hmmm. five years. so do we wait? do we let him go and watch him over the next couple of years develop into something special while playing for another team as we sit here and bemoan what could have been? or does he even have what it takes? does he have it inside of him? he has all the physical gifts. we expect a lot. we haven't seen it. i really think you need to give the guy a summer under the Skiles plan to see. he is soft, no question. can skiles correct this? is it even possible? what can skiles do to, if you don't mind me saying this, to help eddy GROW A SET, if you know what i mean.

eddy you have one summer to prove us all wrong. that's it. then you are toast. with NO BUTTER AND NO JELLY. dry toast.

:|

·
Registered
933 Posts
Cnn breaking news:

Chicago Bulls center Eddy was held by local Denver Police Department. Curry was charged with assault and damage against his GameCube. 5 Police officers struggled to calm down furious Eddy around 2am Thursday. Curry was in his hotel room, playing NBA live 2004 when artificial driven player (Boykins from Denver Nuggets) dunk 3 times on Eddy. “It tripped me off!” said young Chicago bull. Curry lost control and tried to smash GameCube. Fortunately Jamal Crawford (Bulls gurad) was with Eddy and called for help. Moments after the whole incident Eddy Curry was crying and hugging his undamaged (thanks to the fast police action) GameCube console. At this moment it is unclear did police will drop the charges. “Eddy Curry is a good kid, but Jamal is not right person to be a nanny. We will hire someone with more experience. It is obvious that at 2am Eddy should be in his pajama and sleeping” – said angry Bulls General Manager John Paxson who is traveling with his team.

:laugh: :D :laugh:

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Originally posted by <b>robert60446</b>!
Cnn breaking news:

Chicago Bulls center Eddy was held by local Denver Police Department. Curry was charged with assault and damage against his GameCube. 5 Police officers struggled to calm down furious Eddy around 2am Thursday. Curry was in his hotel room, playing NBA live 2004 when artificial driven player (Boykins from Denver Nuggets) dunk 3 times on Eddy. “It tripped me off!” said young Chicago bull. Curry lost control and tried to smash GameCube. Fortunately Jamal Crawford (Bulls gurad) was with Eddy and called for help. Moments after the whole incident Eddy Curry was crying and hugging his undamaged (thanks to the fast police action) GameCube console. At this moment it is unclear did police will drop the charges. “Eddy Curry is a good kid, but Jamal is not right person to be a nanny. We will hire someone with more experience. It is obvious that at 2am Eddy should be in his pajama and sleeping” – said angry Bulls General Manager John Paxson who is traveling with his team.

:laugh: :D :laugh:

:rotf:

classic.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
A little off topic but kind of funny...Jamal Craword doesn't even play video games.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
i think there is only 1 center in the whole league that scores 20 points a game and maybe 2 other guys who can do it (yao and curry) with that kind of scarce ability to score in the pivot truthfully you have to give curry at least 2-3 years

think of it like this yao isn't that level and he is 2 years older and a heck of a lot more experienced and in houston they are just as scared that he will never gain the mentality needed to dominate

1 - 20 of 63 Posts