Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wade is the nearest to MJ in terms of the sense of anticipation I get watching him and his reckless ability to create and score at any time. Lebron is better but I would rather watch Wade right now.

·
Reverse Psychologist
2,553 Posts
The way he attacks the basket is reminiscent of Jordan.

But there's no reason to compare a player to Jordan in entirety until the player has been at the top of the NBA for 10+ years. His longevity (a testament to his ability to adapt his game to his athletic abilities) is a more impressive achievement than his skills in any given year, IMO. Kobe gets the comparison a lot too, and my response in those debates is always: "Well, Penny Hardaway was just about as good as Jordan for a while there too." Wade has a long way to go.

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
I disagree, Dwyane Wade is a better player then Lebron James. Lebron James hasn't figured it out and matured like Wade. Remember, Jordan wasn't a good leader, more of a ballhog and stuff during the first threepeat. He learned how to be a real teammate while playing baseball, and then when he started trusting his team more, during the second three peat when he didn't have all his physical talents, but a lot still, he was able to make the best teams of all time in a 3 year span. Lebron James can eventually win a championship on his talents alone, but until Lebron James starts to trust his teammates, or more importantly get teammates that he can trust, then he will be a truly great player. What makes Wade so great is that is he already knows how to be a great team player, and when to make the distinction of team, and when to take over. When Shaq is in he will let Shaq get the job done because he knows thats best, when Shaq is out, Wade will just dominate. I just don't see many people that can stop Wade when he drives, he is a truly great player, and I would like to take my hat off to myself for saying he would be a superstar, and best of his class.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
sloth said:
I disagree, Dwyane Wade is a better player then Lebron James. Lebron James hasn't figured it out and matured like Wade. Remember, Jordan wasn't a good leader, more of a ballhog and stuff during the first threepeat. He learned how to be a real teammate while playing baseball, and then when he started trusting his team more, during the second three peat when he didn't have all his physical talents, but a lot still, he was able to make the best teams of all time in a 3 year span. Lebron James can eventually win a championship on his talents alone, but until Lebron James starts to trust his teammates, or more importantly get teammates that he can trust, then he will be a truly great player. What makes Wade so great is that is he already knows how to be a great team player, and when to make the distinction of team, and when to take over. When Shaq is in he will let Shaq get the job done because he knows thats best, when Shaq is out, Wade will just dominate. I just don't see many people that can stop Wade when he drives, he is a truly great player, and I would like to take my hat off to myself for saying he would be a superstar, and best of his class.
I don't know who told you that, but they lied to you.

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
bullsville said:
I don't know who told you that, but they lied to you.
All he did was ride his teammates ***, and not in a good way either. Not saying that it didn't help it got everyone playing at a higher level, but he showed a better way of leadership during the 2nd 3-peat.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
There is no "nearest" thing to MJ I dont see how anyone who ever saw Mj play could say that and not laugh out loud .

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
TRUTHHURTS said:
There is no "nearest" thing to MJ I dont see how anyone who ever saw Mj play could say that and not laugh out loud .
Actually there has to be a nearest thing to MJ in theory. But I agree, there is nothing close to MJ at all.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Give me LeBron, no doubt. And when talking about talent after the Jordan era you have to give Kobe some love. He is Jordanesque from time to time, although his reputation did take a hit during the last years, from Denver to Shaq, to Atkins, etc.

And dont forget when talking Wade that he plays with Shaquille O'Neal. If you team up LeBron and Shaq nowadays, you have a sure-fire winner.

As you see, Im not one of Wade's biggest fans. I like his game, but...

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Since you were 2 or 3 years old when the first 3-peat started, I'll let you slide, sloth. But I would have thought you would have at least seen Game 5 of the 1991 Finals on ESPN Classic or something, when Jordon kept passing the ball to Paxson in the 4th quarter so Paxson could shoot. That's just one example, but Phil Jackson got MJ sharing the ball before they ever won their first ring.

One year at the end of the season, Collins moved MJ to Point Guard and he averaged a triple-double the rest of the year. You weren't born yet, but trust me most selfish ball hogs don't average double-digit assists.

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
bullsville said:
Since you were 2 or 3 years old when the first 3-peat started, I'll let you slide, sloth. But I would have thought you would have at least seen Game 5 of the 1991 Finals on ESPN Classic or something, when Jordon kept passing the ball to Paxson in the 4th quarter so Paxson could shoot. That's just one example, but Phil Jackson got MJ sharing the ball before they ever won their first ring.

One year at the end of the season, Collins moved MJ to Point Guard and he averaged a triple-double the rest of the year. You weren't born yet, but trust me most selfish ball hogs don't average double-digit assists.
It had nothing to do with how MJ was playing on the court. Yes, I know what game you are talking about. Game 5, Jordan passed it to Paxson, and Paxson made 4 straight shots correct? I am talking about how MJ was an ******* to his teammates, in particular Bill Cartwright and Horace Grant. MJ is a great on court leader, but he was a much more pleasant person to be a teammate of during the 2nd threepeat than the first one.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
sloth said:
It had nothing to do with how MJ was playing on the court. Yes, I know what game you are talking about. Game 5, Jordan passed it to Paxson, and Paxson made 4 straight shots correct? I am talking about how MJ was an ******* to his teammates, in particular Bill Cartwright and Horace Grant. MJ is a great on court leader, but he was a much more pleasant person to be a teammate of during the 2nd threepeat than the first one.
That is a hell of a long way from
Jordan wasn't a good leader, more of a ballhog and stuff during the first threepeat
But was MJ a nicer guy the 2nd time around? He once slugged Steve Kerr in practice, and he didn't play with Kerr until the 2nd threepeat since Kerr wasn't a Bull in 1993.

Was he a different MJ the second time around? Sure. But he still wasn't Mr. Congeniality when it came to the game, he was the world's biggest *****, which is why he was so great.

EDIT: At least you know your Finals history quite well sloth, you were what about 2 at the time?

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
Because no longevity, as mentioned, no one has been Jordan-like since Jordan.

Since longevity is out of the equation, two guys that instantly come to mind: Grant Hill (pre-injury) and Penny Hardaway (pre-injury). These guys were going to be Jordanesque, for sure. They were DOMINANT players that were non-big men. They made other teammates better, scored like no one's business, played defense like their lives counted on it.

Penny Hardaway, 1995-96: 22 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 7 apg, 2 spg, shooting 51% from the field. Started 82 games and logged 37 mpg.

Grant Hill, 1996-97: 21 ppg, 9 rpg, 7 apg, 1.8 spg on 50% shooting. Started 80 games.

Kobe Bryant, 2002-03: 30 ppg, 7 rpg, 6 apg, 2.2 spg on 45% shooting. Started 82 games and averaged 41.5 mpg.

Wade has to surpass them first, before taking on a Jordan-like title.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I agree with Showtyme but even if you break it down to a game by game there is no one even close .Jordan was the the most dominant player every game the entire game he didnt take months,weeks,days,halves,quarters, minutes off and were talking both ends of the floor.

His taking his lump games were 37 6 4 not these single digit elimination games some of these players are getting handed out to them now .

There is not a player today that can match the intensity Mj brough to the floor ever game.NO ONE !!

end of Rant :biggrin:

sorry

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
TRUTHHURTS said:
I agree with Showtyme but even if you break it down to a game by game there is no one even close .Jordan was the the most dominant player every game the entire game he didnt take months,weeks,days,halves,quarters, minutes off and were talking both ends of the floor.

His taking his lump games were 37 6 4 not these single digit elimination games some of these players are getting handed out to them now .

There is not a player today that can match the intensity Mj brough to the floor ever game.NO ONE !!

end of Rant :biggrin:

sorry
I think you are forgetting about a girl named Hinrich.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Talentwise, there has been couple of player so far to remind me of MJ. Personally these are players that made and make me go and say "Damn he is good. ANd he could be next Jordan."

Penny (only for a short period of time in his career but he was damnn good.)
Kobe

And now, Wade

Of the above three only Wade gave me chill while waching him. Not always, but during last year playoff run, I was sitting there watching him go and I felt physical chill (goose bump and everything). So in short I am answering based on what my body is telling me, not the brain. :biggrin: Although I was already crazy over him since college days, that was some revelation. Back then I thought the only thing missing right now for Wade to be like MJ was jump shot and then come this season his shot is way better than last year. Probably better than MJ's second season in NBA.

On another note, as good as he is as a player TMac never reminds me of MJ and LeBron doesn't seem to have that IT factor to completly dominate the game to be considered MJ-like. Obviously he is super-talented but he is more like Magic. There is a reason why Magic is Magic, not MJ. Not that Magic is far off MJ but still.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts