Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought one of the directives was to remain competitive? That is clearly not happening. This team almost hurts to watch sometimes. They are BAD.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Originally posted by <b>tlong</b>!
I thought one of the directives was to remain competitive? That is clearly not happening. This team almost hurts to watch sometimes. They are BAD.
Woudl you have asked that at the beginning of the year - with this same cast of players?

Distractions, my man, distractions....

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually I said pretty much the same thing all year. After losing Sabas, Pip, and Daniels and not getting anything in return I knew we would suck. I just didn't realize that we would uncover a whole new dimension of sucking.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Re: Re: Is having a crappy team part of management's plan?

Originally posted by <b>ABM</b>!

Woudl you have asked that at the beginning of the year - with this same cast of players?

Distractions, my man, distractions....
No Bonzi, no Pippen, no Sabonis, no impact FA, no impact draft pick and now no Rasheed (for the time being)? I would have said that the leftover Blazers would stink.

The team is actually better right now than I would have predicted because ZR has turned out to be better than I thought he'd be this season.

Ed O.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Is having a crappy team part of management's plan?

Originally posted by <b>Ed O</b>!

The team is actually better right now than I would have predicted because ZR has turned out to be better than I thought he'd be this season.

Ed O.
That's hard for me to accept from you, Ed.

This team is on-pace for a 35 win season - about the same record you predicted the Nuggets would end up having. And, IIRC, you still believe the Blazers are good deal better than the Nuggets - even without Bonzi.

Like I mentioned, this team is a lot better than their record shows. The distractions have been devastating to them. And, until they subside, or cease, expect more of the same - lack of focus and unproductivity - resulting in losses.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Is having a crappy team part of management's plan?

Originally posted by <b>ABM</b>!

That's hard for me to accept from you, Ed.
I'm sorry, ABM. Sometimes the truth hurts. ;)

This team is on-pace for a 35 win season - about the same record you predicted the Nuggets would end up having. And, IIRC, you still believe the Blazers are good deal better than the Nuggets - even without Bonzi.
Nope. I said rather specifically that the Nuggets are clearly better than the Blazers since the Bonzi trade. You can see it
here (see at the bottom of the first page).

And that was WITHOUT taking Rasheed out of the equation. With him out, as he has been, this is one bad team.

Like I mentioned, this team is a lot better than their record shows. The distractions have been devastating to them. And, until they subside, or cease, expect more of the same - lack of focus and unproductivity - resulting in losses.
I just disagree that they're a lot better than their record shows. With Rasheed, they're better... and maybe a lot better. Without him? They're not a .125 team (as they've been their last 8 games), but they're not a .500 team, either.

I'm not saying that distractions aren't a factor... they are. But I guess we have a basic disagreement with how good this team, coached by this coach, could be in an ideal situation.

Ed O.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I thought one of the directives was to remain competitive?
Being competitive does not imply winning, therefore even though we have been losing, the loses were close games and we were competitive.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is having a crappy team part of management's plan?

Originally posted by <b>Ed O</b>!

.....With Rasheed, they're better... and maybe a lot better.....
Thanks for taking the time to dig up your remarks. I stand corrected.

However, please understand that my question to tlong was in regards to this team remaining competetive. That means, a team that includes Wallace. His being hurt right now effectively has nothing to do with what PatterNash have done - or not done to this point.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Our defense is terrible.

We are DEAD LAST in FG% defense (the Suns shot the lights out for most of the game; their announcers were going nuts) and it's not close. Look at the rankings. We have a long way to go before we are second to last.

Considering that, it is AMAZING that our record is as good as 16-21.

The number one problem is that we are building around a PF who can't block shots. That's what I think.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Why does this team beat Sacto, Lakers, Minny, NJ twice, Indy, Dallas....... etc.?

When this teams is FOCUSED I think they'll show us a lot more this season.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The funny thing is...I don't believe Sheed is hurt. I think management is not playing him to avoid the possibility of him getting hurt. It's not as easy to trade damaged goods. As far as the team being better than their record shows.....well I completely disagree. There is very little talent on this team. Even Zach has glaring deficiencies. It appears to be a team of complimentary players although there is nothing for them to compliment.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
I'll tell you why.

On those given nights, we brought enough offense to make up for our lack of D.

But Damon can't make 5 threes every game.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
"Some teams come out and get you. We're 16-21, but if we win 10 games in a row, we're over .500. We've done it before. ...

We're a playoff team."

He repeated: "We are a playoff team." ~Derek Anderson

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Originally posted by <b>tlong</b>!
The funny thing is...I don't believe Sheed is hurt. I think management is not playing him to avoid the possibility of him getting hurt. It's not as easy to trade damaged goods.
Including last night's game, over the last 4 seasons Wallace has missed under 20 games total do to injuries and suspensions. One of the best things about him is that he has stayed relatively healthy even when averaging big minutes. With that sort of track record, I don't think management would need to worry about losing him and that he probably just has a twisted ankle like the whole organization is contending. But thats JMHO.

STOMP

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Not to punch a hole in anyones theory on Sheed being held out for trade purposes but wouldn't the other teams trading with us be doing the same?

I see all the other teams in trade mention using the guys they are supposed to be trading with us.:sigh:

It is likely that Sheed may be hurt or more devastating if true, he's holding out to be given an extension.

I hope Sheed isn't playing hard ball with the top brass cause if he is this season is over right now. He's not being traded, he's not playing and this team is getting beaten every night. Talk about being caught between a rock and a hard place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts