Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after having a game stolen from them last week vs minnesota, they just got one back vs memphis. both were horrible calls. i wonder if that ref was given orders to help the pistons out a bit. like they owed them a win? but now the grizz deserve one...i hope they arent given it vs the nuggets when we play next week.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Heh, it was a pretty delayed makeup call.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yeah, that was a pretty shaky call. But the difference between this and the Minnesota game was there was still a (small) chance that Chauncey could miss those and send the game into OT, while that offensive foul on Chauncey against the T Wolves left us with exactly a 0% chance of winning.

·
_(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
28,008 Posts
Originally posted by <b>fear the fro</b>!
Yeah, that was a pretty shaky call. But the difference between this and the Minnesota game was there was still a (small) chance that Chauncey could miss those and send the game into OT, while that offensive foul on Chauncey against the T Wolves left us with exactly a 0% chance of winning.
Like Billups -- a near-90% FT shooter -- is really going to miss two free throws. He could have just made one. The Grizz could only get a tip-in, and they were inbounding from underneath the other basket. The possibility that Billups would send that game to overtime single-handedly was nil.

It was simply one of the worst calls I've ever seen in any game I've ever watched. It's even worse than any call I could even imagine an official making, inside of the scope of realism. Whoever that official was deserves to be fired. NBA officiating is quite possibly the least competant of any refereeing gig worldwide. Everyone knows it, and I'm wondering when the league will ever scrap their entire staff and replace them with schmoes who know a goddamned foul when they see it.

It has seemed for the past month that whenever the Grizz are on the road, the refs are guaranteed to be bush league.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I was at the game right behind the basket where the foul occured and I thought Earl Watson definately got him.

Either way, it was nowhere near as bad a call as the Detroit vs Minny one because in that game if the foul wasn't called Detroit wins, in this game if the foul wasn't called it goes to overtime where Detroit probably wins anyway. They were in control the whole game until Memphis got a couple offensive rebounds towards the end.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rawse</b>!

Like Billups -- a near-90% FT shooter -- is really going to miss two free throws. He could have just made one. The Grizz could only get a tip-in, and they were inbounding from underneath the other basket. The possibility that Billups would send that game to overtime single-handedly was nil.

It was simply one of the worst calls I've ever seen in any game I've ever watched. It's even worse than any call I could even imagine an official making, inside of the scope of realism. Whoever that official was deserves to be fired. NBA officiating is quite possibly the least competant of any refereeing gig worldwide. Everyone knows it, and I'm wondering when the league will ever scrap their entire staff and replace them with schmoes who know a goddamned foul when they see it.

It has seemed for the past month that whenever the Grizz are on the road, the refs are guaranteed to be bush league.
In theory, there is about a 1.1449% chance of Chauncey Billups missing back-to-back free throws. Point is, that stupid call gave the Grizz virtually no chance of winning the game at all. That was great defense by the Grizzlies, and that game should've gone to OT.

On a side note, why didn't Billups purposely miss the second free throw after making the first one? It would've prevented Memphis from getting a least a prayer of a chance of heaving it down court and somehow tipping it in. Not that it matters since they won anyway, just curious...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey too bad for the Grizz but bad calls are made in every single game.

I'm sure Detroit AND the Hornets weren't happy to lose a game simply because a bad call. Ronnie Nunn even went on LP/NBATv and was going over calls w/the commentator and said straight up that the Billups call during the Wolves game was a bad call by a young ref.

Well that bad call caused the Pistons to actually LOSE. This Grizz/Pistons game only caused the game to go to OT where the outcome really could've came out the same.

If they wanted to do make up calls, the refs needed to do it AGAINST the Wolves since they were essentially given 2 wins that should actually have been losses.

Sonics are going to get the 8th seed anyway. Sonics will pass the Grizzlies up is the seedings

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rawse</b>!

It's happened already once this year.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rukahS capuT</b>!

In theory, there is about a 1.1449% chance of Chauncey Billups missing back-to-back free throws. Point is, that stupid call gave the Grizz virtually no chance of winning the game at all. That was great defense by the Grizzlies, and that game should've gone to OT.

On a side note, why didn't Billups purposely miss the second free throw after making the first one? It would've prevented Memphis from getting a least a prayer of a chance of heaving it down court and somehow tipping it in. Not that it matters since they won anyway, just curious...
He's missed a couple big free throws this season, though I'm still confident he'll make both every time he steps to the line.

Coach told him to make it.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
like it was pointed out there are several bad calls in every game, now they seem to be coming at the end of games whereas it was always kind of an unwritten rule they didnt blow the whistle on the last possesion. how about dirk nowitski not getting a call at end of the game and better still not getting a freethrow all night. they are terrible in this league. the only thing i can think of is it must be a lot tougher than we think. even still there are going to be some refs that flat out stink.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rainman</b>!
the only thing i can think of is it must be a lot tougher than we think.
I think that is probably the case.

Like I said, I was right behind the basket and I thought Watson definately fouled Chauncey and wasn't surprised when the whistle was blown. Then at home when I finally saw the replay it didn't look like there was any foul.

Not only is it a harder job than people think, but sometimes the view from the floor is different than the view from a camera.

·
Registered
427 Posts
In theory, there is about a 1.1449% chance of Chauncey Billups missing back-to-back free throws
True, but as someone pointed out it has happened once this year, and regardless, the point was, even after the call was made, the Pistons still had the power to determine the outcome of the game by making at least one free throw or not. At the Twolves game, if that call was made, with Minnesota up by 1 with the ball with less than 2 seconds, there was simply no way Detroit could have won. A slight difference, but still a different situation IMO.

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
make it a 2nd game given back to detriot.....:upset:

wait till u see this replay. Let some things go in Ot and the 4th i agree, but this was an obvious foul

·
Registered
115 Posts
Originally posted by <b>wadecaroneddie</b>!
make it a 2nd game given back to detriot.....:upset:

wait till u see this replay. Let some things go in Ot and the 4th i agree, but this was an obvious foul
I watched that game on LP. That was a HACK. Haslem got NAILED!! And what was hilarious is none of the 3 refs "saw" it!!!

What a bunch of horsesh*t. If they had called it he would've gone to the freethrow line and quite possibly tied that game up w/a definite chance of the game going to OT.

I tell you though the Heat and Van Gundy showed alot of poise by not TOTALLY flying off the hook even though that MAJOR noncall cost them the game.

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
Originally posted by <b>1652</b>!

I watched that game on LP. That was a HACK. Haslem got NAILED!! And what was hilarious is none of the 3 refs "saw" it!!!

What a bunch of horsesh*t. If they had called it he would've gone to the freethrow line and quite possibly tied that game up w/a definite chance of the game going to OT.

I tell you though the Heat and Van Gundy showed alot of poise by not TOTALLY flying off the hook even though that MAJOR noncall cost them the game.
svg doesnt have $25,000 to spare like riley had last year.....if it was riley you would hear it during and after the game

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
When you say that cost the Heat the game you are basing it on three very strong assumptions:

1) Haslim, a 74% free throw shooter would have made both free throws. And that's based on the assumption that he would have went to the line because it did not look like a shooting foul.

2) The Pistons wouldn't have scored again with the 5-7 seconds left on the clock.

3) Miami would have won the game in the second OT.

Bad call or not, there is absolutely no way you can say it decided the outcome of the game. Miami still had another posession for Christ's sake.

If you want to blame somebody, blame Eddie Jones for being scared to take the final shot and passing back to Rafer Alston who was standing over 7 feet behind the three point line.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts