Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To put it simply he does it all like no player ever .

1.Scores a lot, in many different ways and efficiently.

2.A willing and gifted passer.

3.Very good rebounder

4.Can defend all 5 positions depending on matchups and be an elite defender both on the perimeter and in the post.

5.Is now a closer of the highest caliber.

6. A leader who gets the best out of teammates and whom his teammates rally around.

Possibly the best mixture of offense, defense and intangibles the league has ever seen .

·
do better
41,522 Posts
It's possible, and that's more than you could have said for a lot of players post Jordan/Wilt/Kareem.

Whether it's something you can say with confidence in 10 years is up to how he spends that next decade.

I was hard on him the past 2-3 years, still do think he's up against flawless company in Jordan, but give him say 5 rings and some more MVPs and I could see someone credibly saying they prefer LeBron to Michael. He's different enough to where he has the chance to be an alternative, Kobe never did.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
No. Michael Jordan.

End of thread.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
To put it simply he does it all like no player ever .

1.Scores a lot, in many different ways and efficiently.
True.

2.A willing and gifted passer.
True.

3.Very good rebounder
Wrong. He is 6'8, and doesn't rebound more than 11TRB%

4.Can defend all 5 positions depending on matchups and be an elite defender both on the perimeter and in the post.
Wrong. That's like saying Jordan could defend Centers because he once defender Divac. Or Rodman vs Shaq.
Lebron James can't defend, consistently, PGs, PFs and Cs.

5.Is now a closer of the highest caliber.
Wrong. And laughable.

6. A leader who gets the best out of teammates and whom his teammates rally around.
Would you be able to say this things about Lebron last season?
F!, Dude is great, we know it, just don't exagerate things, please!

Possibly the best mixture of offense, defense and intangibles the league has ever seen .
What are your basis for such claim?

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
Wrong. That's like saying Jordan could defend Centers because he once defender Divac. Or Rodman vs Shaq.
Lebron James can't defend, consistently, PGs, PFs and Cs.
So LeBron giving Derrick Rose the business does not count. I am also pretty sure he defended multiple PFs in the playoffs at a high level.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
I think saying he could be an elite post defender is doing too much but I've seen the guy walk side by side with Ben Wallace and you could barely tell any difference....no doubt he could competently defend any position out there. And that's something to get credit for, not just some bar/message board argument.

Now if you want to say he can give Bynum a hard time or something that's different, but who can

·
NY NY big city of dreams
2,493 Posts
I wasn't around to watch any of it but imagine guys like Elgin Baylor doing what he did back then now.

It really is a what have you done for me lately world.

But to answer your question, NO! Lebron doesn't do anything amazing but he does a lot of things very well. Package that with probably being the best athlete on the court at any given time and.....

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Probably not. But he's a shoe in for top ten and will probably end up in the top five.

Not impossible though.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
of Lebron's post defense - when he has guarded bigs he has had to front (he did to quite good effect against Pau) which is basically an admission that he's screwed once the pass gets into the post

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
It is going to all be determined over the next 7 years of his career. How long his peak holds up, how many rings he picks up. He already has the requisite number of MVPs so he could get cheated out of a few and still have a number that throws him in the best ever range.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
He's probably the most naturally talented. But he still needs to develop that winner's edge to pass a Magic or MJ.

MJ never even went past a Game 5 in the NBA Finals. His will to win just puts him in a league of his own IMO

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
So LeBron giving Derrick Rose the business does not count. I am also pretty sure he defended multiple PFs in the playoffs at a high level.
Can you show me video this happened? Miami's team defense did this, not Lebron. Lebron did his job which was to force Rose into the help defense effectively. And as someone said, this was not a full game of chasing Rose around. He could sit on Luol Deng for 3.5 quarters which frankly is a lot less work.

Great analysis of this myth is on-line if you google "Bulls Heat 4th quarter project".

As for Lebron...the OP is overstating a few things as others already pointed out, and he has a ways to go to catch Kobe Bryant on the greatness scale, let alone MJ.

I've stated before, the guy is the greatest natural talent I've ever seen, but he just isn't in MJ and Kobe's tier in terms of consistent competitive drive and work ethic. I can confidently say nobody can match MJ in that department. The guy was just otherworldly.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
He's probably the most naturally talented. But he still needs to develop that winner's edge to pass a Magic or MJ.

MJ never even went past a Game 5 in the NBA Finals. His will to win just puts him in a league of his own IMO
so he sat out all those game 6s against the Blazers, Suns, Sonics, and Jazz (x2)?

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Can you show me video this happened? Miami's team defense did this, not Lebron. Lebron did his job which was to force Rose into the help defense effectively. And as someone said, this was not a full game of chasing Rose around. He could sit on Luol Deng for 3.5 quarters which frankly is a lot less work.

Great analysis of this myth is on-line if you google "Bulls Heat 4th quarter project".

As for Lebron...the OP is overstating a few things as others already pointed out, and he has a ways to go to catch Kobe Bryant on the greatness scale, let alone MJ.

I've stated before, the guy is the greatest natural talent I've ever seen, but he just isn't in MJ and Kobe's tier in terms of consistent competitive drive and work ethic. I can confidently say nobody can match MJ in that department. The guy was just otherworldly.
DoctorLebronFan said:
Whatever bro. He can guard Rose and Dwight and anyone inbetween.
Saved everyone some time.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
I wasn't around to watch any of it but imagine guys like Elgin Baylor doing what he did back then now.

It really is a what have you done for me lately world.

But to answer your question, NO! Lebron doesn't do anything amazing but he does a lot of things very well. Package that with probably being the best athlete on the court at any given time and.....
Excuse me?

·
NY NY big city of dreams
2,493 Posts
Is he a ray Allen shooter? Is he a Kevin love rebounder? Is he a Chris paul passer? You cant point to anything specific in lebrons game and say he is amazing, except for his athletic ability. . He is a jack of all trades though, and arguably the best athlete in all of sports. his sheer power and athletic ability bails him out of multiple situations. When you see him on the court it's like he's in 6th gear and everyone else is in 5th sometimes.

Skill set wise, Kobe in his prime was a better basketball player than Lebron right now.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Is he a ray Allen shooter? Is he a Kevin love rebounder? Is he a Chris paul passer? You cant point to anything specific in lebrons game and say he is amazing, except for his athletic ability. . He is a jack of all trades though, and arguably the best athlete in all of sports. his sheer power and athletic ability bails him out of multiple situations. When you see him on the court it's like he's in 6th gear and everyone else is in 5th sometimes.

Skill set wise, Kobe in his prime was a better basketball player than Lebron right now.
No one in the game puts together pure scoring ability, play making ability, rebounding and defensive ability together the way Lebron does.

Not even a prime Kobe. And that is what Lebron does amazingly.

1 - 20 of 247 Posts