Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it really necessary for Yao to set a pick for the guards?

I dunno what JVG thinks, but it seems not necessary for Yao to set a pick for the guards.How many times we saw that this ended up in vain.The guards seem that they dunno how to take advantage of this.They either keep passing the ball, or end up in a bad shoot. It only makes Yao fatigued.
It seems this does work for T-MAC, but I believe he can also make it without Yao's pick.
So whats the purpose for this? :curse:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Well JVG thinks its a good idea to invovle Yao in Pick/Roll situations for some reasons. That is only effective when you have DA, Head, Barry, shooting jumpers that they are MAKING. Or TMac who loves using Yao's picks as shade from the defenses, he knows and reads the defense and takes the Jumper, or makes a QUICK MOVE to the hoop. You are right this fatigues any big man, Yao is the primary pick setter, sometimes Juwan (they need to involve him more) especially when Yao is being zone-defensed i.e. one man in front/back/ and one backing off the post passer.

All of this will seem better once ALL OUR GUARDS make some shots.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Now that McGrady is in Houston..Houston is a pick n roll team. Thats his primary weapon. I think what tires out Yao more is the constant following guards on defense and houston's perimeter player not getting ball on the block when he initially posts up.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Keep in mind that the result of a pick is often the big man getting a mismatch or just plain open. Picks benefit more then just the guy with the ball.

·
Registered
877 Posts
seems a good play to run when u have tmac and yao operating... tmac just needs half an inch of room to operate, whether its the pull up jumper or drive and dish or hesitation move to the basket whatever, and yao sets massive pocks with his huge frame. i'm worried about i think the officials are gonna police pocks, i.e. the rules stipulate u have to give the defender half a step, whereas i think yao likes to sneak up from behind and screen right up to the man...

·
Not Just Dumb, Aggie Dumb
18,849 Posts
Foulzilla said:
Keep in mind that the result of a pick is often the big man getting a mismatch or just plain open. Picks benefit more then just the guy with the ball.
which is only good if the guard can capitalize on the mismatch. i just dont see the point of using yao to set the pick for anyone but mcgrady. last years playoffs showed how effective it could be when both player know what to do and can do it. since none of the others players can do anything, give yao the ball in post and work from there.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TracywtFacy said:
i'm worried about i think the officials are gonna police pocks, i.e. the rules stipulate u have to give the defender half a step, whereas i think yao likes to sneak up from behind and screen right up to the man...
then he fauls again! hope it wiil happen less often this season.

oops! its pick!

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Houston doesn't have any penetrators other than T-Mac, so the pick-and-roll really isn't all that effective with Yao and someone like Alston or Derek Anderson.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
KokoTheMonkey said:
Houston doesn't have any penetrators other than T-Mac, so the pick-and-roll really isn't all that effective with Yao and someone like Alston or Derek Anderson.
in that case, we better trade A/D for Tony! :biggrin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts