Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know very well that this column might not make me the most popular person in Pacer Nation, but I feel the need to at least broach the subject. “Potential” is a great word in the NBA. Sometimes it holds more weight than the word “results.” This season one might argue that young Paul George showed us considerably more potential than he did results.

I do consider it important to note that I am not dismissing the potential of Paul George nor do I wish him anything but success on the Pacers or any other franchise because for a 22-year old NBA player with the world in front of him, he certainly seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

But the word “potential” has shielded him from criticism on a fairly consistent basis. It’s fair to say that his scoring has not been consistent, his offensive assertiveness has been lackluster at times and his offensive game plan does not always compliment his natural athleticism, however, I will admit his defensive ability is quite valuable.

Basically what I am getting at is the concept of “selling high.” Paul George certainly has potential that may lead many of us to believe that he will improve in leaps and bounds. However, he has not shown us enough to be able to say vast improvement is lock by any means. The whole league would agree that “there might be something about this Paul George kid.” Which means that if Paul George does not make a huge improvement this season then his stock will probably never be higher than it is right now.

As I was taking a look at Tim Donahue’s excellent post about the Pacer’s offseason possibilities (really a must read) I talked myself into everything Donahue presented. I can see the logic behind it all. But I got to thinking about “what if these things just don’t happen.” Perhaps just due to bad luck. Donahue points out that Eric Gordan may demand a max contract, which would be a huge risk. Irsan Elyasova seems like a great fit, but another team might bid high for him forcing the Pacers to over pay. And I absolutely love the thought of Steve Nash on the Indiana Pacers, but financial reasoning aside it just might not happen because, you know, what franchise wouldn’t absolutely love the idea of Steve Nash on their team? Who knows what exactly Steve wants.
http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.com/2012/05/is-it-the-perfect-time-to-trade-paul-george/

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
It makes sense, especially now that I'm starting to doubt George will ever be an all-star. But who would we try to get? Rondo? Kevin Martin + Scola? Monta Ellis? Rubio?

Even if he doesn't realize his potential, that potential will play a role in attracting Deron Williams or Eric Gordon this summer.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Depends on what we can get for him. I don't want to trade Paul George, but if it somehow gets us a star point guard, then you have to do it in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
I love Paul George but I would be fine with us trading him if it brought in a significant upgrade at point guard. He definitely has a lot of potential, but I don't see him ever becoming a superstar in this league.

·
Administrator
67,768 Posts

·
Administrator
67,768 Posts
What would be wrong with George for Monta? Why would a Pacers fan not like that deal? School me.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
What would be wrong with George for Monta? Why would a Pacers fan not like that deal? School me.
If we trade George, it makes sense to do it for what our needs are. Our biggest need is a elite pass first PG. Ellis isn't that guy. Either that or we need a new #1 scorer to move Danny to 1b. Ellis isn't that guy.

Not to mention Ellis is a much worse defender than George. I really don't think it moves the Pacers forward at all.

·
Administrator
67,768 Posts
On that Pacers team, with that front court, and with Danny as the #2 scorer... Monta would undoubtedly be a #1 scorer. He would put up an efficient 20-23 ppg on that team. If you can't get Deron, that's one hell of an option.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
On that Pacers team, with that front court, and with Danny as the #2 scorer... Monta would undoubtedly be a #1 scorer. He would put up an efficient 20-23 ppg on that team. If you can't get Deron, that's one hell of an option.
How would he undoubtedly be the #1 option? Ellis and Granger have similar offensive numbers over the years. Why would the Pacers trade Paul George, bring in Monta Ellis and say "Ok Danny, Ellis is our guy now, but you'll still get some shots."

Not sure how that improves the team at all.

·
King George
11,475 Posts
This thread is disgusting. The guy is only 2 years in and people are already questioning his ability on a team that has absolutely no offensive direction other than having 5 possible options.

Monta Ellis... no, please no. I've seen what blackholes do to this team (Barbosa and Jones).

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What if the Pacers went after a guy like Andre Miller (unrestricted free agent)? Pass first veteran who can still play. That way you keep George and still sign someone who can knows how to get everyone else the ball and can also score when asked to (especially with his size and post up ability).

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
What if the Pacers went after a guy like Andre Miller (unrestricted free agent)? Pass first veteran who can still play. That way you keep George and still sign someone who can knows how to get everyone else the ball and can also score when asked to (especially with his size and post up ability).
I thought about that, but it doesn't work. If we do anything at PG, it needs to be an upgrade. We can't have Miller start over Collison or Hill. We can't have 3 PG's. Hill could swap to the 2, but that just causes more problems.

Andre Miller is the type of point guard I want, hes just too old.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts