Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean, I read -->These types of articles and it hurts me to see this.

I've guess I've become resigned to the conclusion that it's a problem above the players, above Mo and his coaches, above (for now) Patterson and Nash. No, IMO, it's a problem that needs to be adressed and (if you will) appeased by Paul Allen himself.

Remember a few seasons ago - back in the Whitsitt days - when Paul invited the whole team up to his estate to play a little hoops and, generally, have a party? Personally, I think something of that nature is due. If not for any other reason than to send a message to the players that ownership and management does care and is interested in their needs, comfort (as odd as that may seem), and support.

Perhaps, even, management might even reduce - if not rescind - Davis' fine - if only as a token of good will. The principle still might be there, but, in the interest of team unity, it might serve a better purpose in regards to unity and grace.

The team is certainly better than what they've shown. I'm convinced of that. And, this "we're a bad team" mantra just doesn't set well with me and is, basically, a cheap cop-out. In fact, it hinges on being pathetic.

Rather than watch this season's ship sink, it's time to get a little creative, if not radical, in the thinking process. Now, who moved my cheese?

Just my thoughts................

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Cumbaya, my Lord... Cumbaya... Cumbaya, my Lord... Cumbaya... Oh Lord, Cumbaya...

Nothing that a little camping trip can't fix. The guys need to bond again.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by <b>SheedSoNasty</b>!
Cumbaya, my Lord... Cumbaya... Cumbaya, my Lord... Cumbaya... Oh Lord, Cumbaya...
:laugh:

Or, around the campfire in Blazing Saddles?

Pass the beans............................. :whofarted

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ABM</b>!

:laugh:

Or, around the campfire in Blazing Saddles?

Pass the beans............................. :whofarted
best. scene. ever.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
How about a big bag of popcorn, and sit in Paul Allens home theatre and watch the movie "Hoosiers". Maybe they can see what team play is really like.

One of my favorite pieces in that movie is when Gene Hackman asks one of the players to stick on him the whole game long and he wanted to know by the end of the game what flavor bubble gum he is chewing.

I tell my son that every game, and as a 3rd grader he does not fully understand it, but he plays excellant defense each game :D

maybe it can rub off on them

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ABM</b>!

Remember a few seasons ago - back in the Whitsitt days - when Paul invited the whole team up to his estate to play a little hoops and, generally, have a party? Personally, I think something of that nature is due. If not for any other reason than to send a message to the players that ownership and management does care and is interested in their needs, comfort (as odd as that may seem), and support.
I know from outside this may apprear to be a wonderful bonding experience. I doubt very much that it is. When the Blazers travel to Seattle for games, many times they will have practice and/or a shoot around at Paul Allen's home. Sometimes, they stay for a meal or something like that. I don't think it really is a "bonding" time. It isn't like it was a one time event, ABM. Paul typically does this anytime the team is in Seattle and he is in town.

This team needs more than this. The management and coaching staff needs to get control of this team. Bonding with a billionaire nerd probably won't achieve the desired goals.

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
:verysad:

"Anderson virtually spits out his poisoned words. Each word becomes an envenomed barb that flys across the room and pierces the fragile heart of the saintly Damon. Damon, who had just rescued 12 orphans and 6 puppies from a blazing inferno and was busy teaching them the 47th verse of "Kumbaya", refused to respond to the vile slander."

Jason Quick is in need of a CLUE, a LIFE, and a REAL JOB!:drool:

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Re: Re: Is It Time For Paul To Throw A Party?

Originally posted by <b>Gym Rat</b>!

I know from outside this may apprear to be a wonderful bonding experience. I doubt very much that it is. When the Blazers travel to Seattle for games, many times they will have practice and/or a shoot around at Paul Allen's home. Sometimes, they stay for a meal or something like that. I don't think it really is a "bonding" time. It isn't like it was a one time event, ABM. Paul typically does this anytime the team is in Seattle and he is in town.

This team needs more than this. The management and coaching staff needs to get control of this team. Bonding with a billionaire nerd probably won't achieve the desired goals.
Something has to be done, it is just sad to watch the body language during games sometimes. Maybe it is all the trade rumors or maybe the team is divided on the topic of Ginger or Mary Ann. Either way, this team needs to be on the same page if they are ever going to do anything. :yes:

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I think a simple meeting with Allen, Nash, Patterson and the team would help. Establish a baseline and then enforce that with what is said and done.

A meeting where they are told-
we are not making any more moves this season...
we know you can succeed...
you are the Portland Trailblazers...
we are behind you...
we are not going to let the local media dictate what we do... etc

Better yet-invite their families...

From what I can see...regardless of the short rope paul has given them...Nash and Patterson's PR has been TERRIBLE and they have forsaken the team for the local media and fans that truly don't matter (the ones who use threats and winning as reason to support the team or not).

Look at it all...the guys are not getting into trouble...at this point the negative press is only about what Nash and Patterson are saying (or not saying), or the poor play that I think is a direct result of nash and patterson's behavior.

They have made a mockery out of our team and it's so-called "restructuring"-they made such a big deal about it and basically did nothing. Heck-nothing really happened.

They need to support the team they are in charge of. Publically and privately. There is no behavior to chastise other than that of management. They need to speak out in support of this team. Stop saying they are all expendable. Cheeks was wrong to publically say this is a bad team.

Since when can you effectively raise a child or even a pet, and in this case, lead a group, by using threats and uncertainty? If you use this method you get a chaotic result.

The way they speak of the team and try to mince their words to give the illusion they are saying what they think the fans want to hear is causing nothing but chaos on the floor.

How wrong am I?

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
There is a delicate balancing act between publically speaking and privately speaking out, and calling out your players. Somewhere in the middle is the correct repsonse for this team. Phil Jackson calls out his players a lot, yet know one publically scorns him.

I would not say nothing has been done or nothing will not be done by the trade deadline. There is still over 3 weeks to go.. I think if the right deal comes up they need to do it. I would not say Nash was terrible... he has inherited a big mess, and has been dealt some pretty diffult contracts to deal with. Players with high money contracts with half the trade value in $ are difficult to deal. Sheed an Damon are near impossible to deal at that price. I commend them for being patient.

Its hard to say about Patterson, but I think its very fair to say Nash and Mo have made their share of mistakes. I think Nash realizes he has been a little to open on trade rumors and the media, but perhaps he will be a bit more quiet.

The players are a bunch of spoiled brats in my opinion. They are difficult to handle. There are far and few in between who actually make you proud now a days. Some actually own up to making a mistake and handling it with repsonsibility. Take note DD!

There is probably many ways to transform this team in the next few weeks, but one thing is for sure. Time is runing out if they want to make the playoffs and set the record.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts