Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think he's even close but a local sportswriter who I have a great deal of respect for said he was a top 5 player. The writer's name is Dave D'Alessandro. He's usually on point with his columns. However, his statement about James just put a serious dent into his credibility. I like James and I think he's going to be a top 5 player at some point in the future. However, he's not even close right now. Off the top of my head I know that Shaq, Duncan, KG, TMac, and Iverson are better. I can name about a dozen more players that are better than James off the top of my head. I think he's a top 5 talent but he's not there as a player right now. Here's his quote and a link to his column.

Rookie of the Half-Year: LeBron James. Sure, Carmelo Anthony has his team in contention, and James does not. But 10 years from now, we'll be laughing that they were ever compared in the first place. Yes, we're smitten.James is already one of the five best players in the league, and he'll be the best in two years' time.
Link

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
I heard from the local radio 10:50: Lebron is the best ever.

He is much better than MJ, Magic and Bird. He will win 19 NBA titles.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
No. What has he done for his team? The Cavs may have a better record this season than the Magic, but T-Mac has proved he can lead his team to the playoffs. Until the Cavs start playing good basketball, I refuse to believe that LeBron is a top 5 player.

Duncan
Shaq
Garnett
McGrady
Kobe

LeBron is not better than any of those five, and there are even more that are better than him:

Allen Iverson
Paul Pierce
Ray Allen
Jermaine O'neal
Peja Stojakovic
Chris Webber
etc....

LeBron is not better than any of these players either.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Duncan, KG, Shaq, JO, Kidd, Tmac, Pierce, Baron, Iverson, Peja are all definitely better than him this season. Theres a handful of guys who are debatable as well.

I think he'll be top 5 by the time hes 21 easy. Not now though.

Lebron and Carmelo will always be comparable. I dont understand why people hate on Melo so much.

·
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by <b>John The Cool Kid</b>!
Duncan, KG, Shaq, JO, Kidd, Tmac, Pierce, Baron, Iverson, Peja are all definitely better than him this season. Theres a handful of guys who are debatable as well.

I think he'll be top 5 by the time hes 21 easy. Not now though.

Lebron and Carmelo will always be comparable. I dont understand why people hate on Melo so much.
I think he's going to be a fine player as well. Lebron will always have more potential because of his ungodly combination of size and athleticism but Melo has some skills. I think people tend to forget that he's only a year younger as well. It's not like we're comparing Lebron to a 30 year old or something. Both will have terrific careers.

·
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by <b>KokoTheMonkey</b>!
No. What has he done for his team? The Cavs may have a better record this season than the Magic, but T-Mac has proved he can lead his team to the playoffs. Until the Cavs start playing good basketball, I refuse to believe that LeBron is a top 5 player.
Isn't that the point? As Herman Edwards put it "you play to win the game". Melo has the Cavs playing well. D'Alessandro just shrugged that fact off in his quote above. I know that Carmelo has a better team around him than Lebron but I've seen so many players take the rap for their team's failures. Hell, guys like TMac and KG lead their teams to the playoffs every year and they are considered failures because they can't get out of the first round. You always hear people questioning their leadership. However, everyone is always talking about how great of a leader Lebron is. Meanwhile, the Cavs are damn near dead last in their division (a few games out). Commend the kid when he does something good but don't overdo it. Most NBA fans know how good Lebron is but also recognize how far he still has to go to become an elite player. NBA commentators act like we've never watched an NBA game before.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Pinball</b>!
I think he's going to be a fine player as well. Lebron will always have more potential because of his ungodly combination of size and athleticism but Melo has some skills. I think people tend to forget that he's only a year younger as well. It's not like we're comparing Lebron to a 30 year old or something. Both will have terrific careers.
and really, Carmelo is only 7 months older. Lebron is averaging like 20/6/6 for a 15 win teamin the east. Melo is at 19/6/3 on a 26 win team in the west. Theres really no difference in impact right now. Melo may even be better at this point.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Right now, LeBron is a top 15 player (I'm going by the objective player raters). He's a legit all-star. He will be the best player in the league for many years. He's not top 5 right now. Maybe the guy was just emphasizing a point. I could give you a long comparrison between LeBron and Melo, but I think if you pay attention you see LeBron is better now and has more potential.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
LeBron and the Cavs are coming along quickly. However, I will never give all credit to just one player. It's just a dumb, confounding argument because the media likes to make everything about the individual. You cant add the talent of the players together and expect the best team. Playing well as a team takes into a account so many small details. Doing this with rookies is worse. If the Cavs make the playoffs, LeBron will be a key part, but not the only part (the cavs are 3.5 games out of the 8th spot)

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Therealdeal will ruin the thread for everyone. It's not about "loving" LeBron. It's about the truth to me. I've watched every game. I can list positives and negatives. Therealdeal makes everything negative, so I never get a chance to list both sides of LeBron. I would love to do that. However, there are more positives than negatives simply because LeBron is a once in a lifetime player.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Not yet but soon. If the cavs had a winning record then a lot more people would be saying this. Its only a matter of time till he deserves to be spoken with the same breathe as T-mac, Kobe, iverson, etc..

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
If the cavs had a winning record then a lot more people would be saying this.
exactly. I'm evaluating HIM, which does account for the team's record a bit, but if you REALLY analyze games they lost early, you would EASILY see why it really wasnt because of him except for a few bad plays mixed in with the rest of the team's bad plays. I would NEVER be prepared to argue for LeBron based on team record as a rookie. It is illogical. Some people put team record as their number 1 or 2 issue for evaluating an INDIVIDUAL. Maybe they should evaluate the indiviual separately and his SPECIFIC contributions. I know it's hard to do. But it's correct.

·
15 STRONG
27,487 Posts
Sam Cassell is better than him right now this season

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
I have Lebron in the top 15-20 range. Possibly 22 at worst, depending on your slant.

Top 5?

Not yet.

If the Cavs make the playoffs this year(which is a distinct possibilty(which I think would suprise a lot of people who are just looking at their record and not how close they are to the playoffs)) then the arguement gets very interesting, very fast.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Pinball</b>!
I don't think he's even close but a local sportswriter who I have a great deal of respect for said he was a top 5 player. The writer's name is Dave D'Alessandro. He's usually on point with his columns. However, his statement about James just put a serious dent into his credibility.
Hmm. I already didn't think D'Alessandro had credibility.

He's clearly giving into hyperbole here. James, much as I love him as a player, is nowhere near top-five. Not even close. Not within sniffing distance.

He should get there in good order, and has a great chance of being the best player. But now, he's only a top-20 player. Which is insane enough.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
I wouldn't pick him as a top five player right now. In terms of talent, he may be number one... but there's no substitute for experience.

He has quarters, halves, and sometimes games where he is as good as anybody though. It's a matter of consistency. If you just look at one game, like the game against Portland where he had 32 points on 15-23 shooting, 10 rebounds, 9 assists, and had two consecutive steals and dunks in the final minute of the game... or the game in Chicago, when Jordan was watching, you know the one... you could say he is capable of reaching a "top five-like" level of play at times. But it's a matter of consistency, experience, and accomplishment.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I remember before Lebron was in the NBA, and people were saying if he was a top 10-20 player that would be amazing in itself. Now that he is, they feel the need to boost it to him being top 5. He is amazing, but it seems like they keep the hype above what he actually is no matter how impressive he is.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts