Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
People have been saying how much teams would give to have next year's #1 pick so they can get lebron... but the question is, is he really worth it? Sure lebrons better than Kobe was in his senior year, but kobes been through tremendous amount of training to get himself up to this level(after struggling during his rookie year, i heard Kobe took like hundreds of shots everyday in the summer to get the shooting form he has right now), you can't really guarantee that lebron will do the same thing. Besides, how many high schoolers who got drafted could make an immediate impact on the L? Just 1, and it's KG(whos a rare athletic and incredibly versatile7 footer)!! Lebron will be a star, no doubt about that, but the NEXT JORDAN?????After the disappointment of the rookie years of kwame brown, curry and chandler... etc, the NBA teams should realize that they can't expect too much from high-school bball players. Besides, if a bball player has a good high school basketball career, it doesn't mean that he will be able to do as well at the next level. If Lebron really deserves all the attention he's getting, he really should come out BIG in his rookie year, contribute to his team rite away and prove hes the real deal.... or else hes just really way OVERRATED :no: ... and by the way, there will never be a next michael jordan:yes:

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
Tell it to the people, Preacher. You are dead on.

I've seen film on this guy, and he's got incredible moves -- on the HS players. He's got a mature body for his age. But to put the "next MJ" label on anyone is unfair -- it just ain't gonna happen. Maybe Lebron will be a superstar someday, but I still believe it is in the best interests of the NBA and the individual player to have the kids go to college and develop. As you said, even Kobe still had to work his tail off to get to NBA competitive level without the cushion and seasoning that college provides.

That being said, if he declares himself eligible and he's on the board, ya gotta take him.

·
Registered
920 Posts
The thing is the scouts and people like that said that he was already good. They said if he would have been playing in the Finals the only players that would have been better would have been Shaq Kidd and Kobe. I've seen very little of him. I saw some on the internet, and I saw where he broke his wrist. I think he will be good but I do not think he will contribute much in his first year.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I just don't like the recent drafting of lots of high schoolers. Ever since Kobe and Garnett got drafted, it seems like the top prospects every year are high schoolers. Scouts tell them they will be 1st round material and some end up not getting drafted. They just basicly gave up their basketball careers instead of doing the smart thing and going to college to fine tune their raw skills. I also think you can ruin a young player by putting him in the NBA and then he doesn't produce like everyone thinks he should so people start to assciate him and the word bust.

·
15 STRONG
27,487 Posts
I saw him play in state championsips as a soph. and watched him on TV this year when they lost in finals.

He is simply amazing-yes, he is only playing against HS opponents- but they play the best teams in the country and he's proved himself at MJ's camp and ABC camp. He broke his left wrist which shouldnt hurt him, but i dont think he's overrated.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
If he does become great and back all the hype like Kobe did. Look for there to be many Lebron-haters just like their are Kobe-haters because he is going to try to live up to all the hype that the people put up for him. Once he does the people turn against him. Isn't it funny how that works.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
No one is hating Lebron right now, He hasn't done anything. They are just saying is he really worth all this hype? And all I have seen him do is block, run and dunk. I haven't seen too much of him so I don't think that much of him right now. And he is a HS player. Their schedule is much easier and the competition is much easier. I mean, you play like 20 games a year, and like 8 more if you make it to the tournament. And if you are in the NBA you play 82 games and travel everywhere. This is why players should go to college. To help them adjust to the schedule or traveling and harder level of competition. And, People said he was better than all the people on the Cavaliers. Which, doesn't impress me much. No offense to you cavaliers fans, but they just suck. The only reason they won any games was because of Dre. So we will wait and see.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Originally posted by <b>TomBoerwinkle#1</b>!
Tell it to the people, Preacher. You are dead on.
WTF?? I'm just freaking expressing my opinion, what's up with the hate??? ****! I'm not trying to freakin downplay lebron's game, but I mean high school players deserve way too much attention nowadays... thats a FREAKING FACT!!!! take charlie villaneuva as an example. I saw him play before, in a game against my high school team. He's so hyped, yet he was a total nonfactor against the players on our team. I don't even know why nbadraft.net compares him to KG(why the hell is he ranked so high in the 2004 mock draft anyway?) A few players on our team did a whole lot better than Villaneuva, yet none of them is even ranked!!BTW There is another player on Villaneuva's team who is also ranked in the top 100 prospects of his class, he's called Luou Deng... you might have seen an article on him and his brothers in SLAM, he's the real deal-a quick 6'7 versatile forward. Our team just lost to theirs by 1 point... only 1 POINT!! they would have lost if Luou Deng didnt make the fadeaway 3 pointer with 1 second left. Remember, none of our players are ranked. So IMO rankings are definitely OVERRATED. I'm not saying that lebron is going to suck. HE'LL BE GOOD, BUT WON'T BE THE NEXT JORDAN, LIKE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN SAYING!! College players are much more proven than HS players!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Leborn may be good but it will take him atleast 3-4 years to develp.Look how long it took kobe and tmac to develop.Kobe especially.4 years before he won his first title he was a senoir in highschool. Ironically he won the state championship in 96 which hadnt beeen done for 50 years in that highschool.

lebron could turn out to be amazing like kobe and tmac but it will take a long time.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
yes I'm replying to the title of the post, I've seen him play live against Oak Hill with Carmelo Anthony, The kid Lebron is a great player, he's worth the hype he's like a man among boys, but I don't really like comparisons to great players ala Jordan or Kobe I've defended Kobe in comparison to Jordan , so I'll pass on Lebron comparisons he'l eventually be a star at the nba level you can see the raw talent, he's much more a passer ala Magic or very early Penny Hardaway see I did it again a comparison, put it this way he's more of a creator looking to pass than to score but he's a great athlete I mean a great athlete, about as explosive as Jodan was in his Prime, he's the lock number 1 pick he'll be great but he's got alot to learn though,

what is Hype Really, If hype is popularity before accomplishment than yes he's overhyped but if it's based on current standard of excellence on the level he's on than no he's not,

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Originally posted by <b>LionsFan01</b>!
I just don't like the recent drafting of lots of high schoolers. Ever since Kobe and Garnett got drafted, it seems like the top prospects every year are high schoolers. Scouts tell them they will be 1st round material and some end up not getting drafted. They just basicly gave up their basketball careers instead of doing the smart thing and going to college to fine tune their raw skills. I also think you can ruin a young player by putting him in the NBA and then he doesn't produce like everyone thinks he should so people start to assciate him and the word bust.
I agree totally but in addition I think it is ridiculus that the NCAA doesn't let these kids that don't get drafted or that get drafted in the 2nd round to get their eligibility back. I mean why not it wouldn't cost them anything. The only negative to me is that it would almost encourage kids to try for the NBA immediately but it doesn't appear that they need much encouragement.

·
15 STRONG
27,487 Posts
bump bump bump

wow wow wow read this post

it's got alot of dust on it but DAMN

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Hehe, wow that proves a lot of people wrong. :)

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
This is easily the most boring Lebron bump...I mean most of these guys don't even post here anymore....I wanna read some **** with names I respect in it.

Caron_Butler...was this back when you weren't super sick of him? You almost sounded like a James defender here.:grinning:

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Funny stuff.

But anyway, as it applies to today, the LeBron hype IS ridiculous, but may not seem so in 5 years. I'm betting on today's eye gouging LeBron hype to be perfectly justifiable in 5 years.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
While I thought that my statement was thought provoking and incredibly enlightening as usual, I do wonder what made this thread worth bumping. Heck it really didn't have much life back in 2002 when if was first written.

·
15 STRONG
27,487 Posts
Originally posted by <b>futuristxen</b>!

Caron_Butler...was this back when you weren't super sick of him? You almost sounded like a James defender here.:grinning:

I told you guys I didn't always dislike him......this was when he wasn't the media's baby and I still was a LeBron fan.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts