Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is everyone making such a big deal about him.How old is he and you think hes really gonna be better then kobe or mj or magic?

This irks me, kobe is only 24 and already they are calling lebron the next kobe bryant.People didnt look for the next mj or larry bird till after they retired.

Hello kobe is still very much in the league.I dont think hell retire for atleast another couple years.I really think Kobe is gonna get sick of basketball in a couple years.Hes been doing it all his life.Hes been in the nba for 7 years already.Hes already done everything he wanted to do.
Anways is kobe that old already people are sick of him and his talent to already go naming someone else kobe.

Hmm I wonder and am really looking forward to see if kobe improves next year and if this lebron james is really so amazing!

What do ya think?

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
That would be dissapointing if he was the next Kobe Bryant. I think he will be MUCH better than that:D

·
Jersey Girl
10,482 Posts
Originally posted by Fordy74
That would be dissapointing if he was the next Kobe Bryant. I think he will be MUCH better than that:D
oh, man...lol...i can't find even find the words to reply to that one... :D

um, weren't critics calling harold miner "baby jordan" before jordan retired or am i just getting history confused?

·
Registered
14 Posts
3 points

1. MVPs are worthless unless you're a selfish player (like Jordan). Only Championships matter. Kobe has 3 at age 23. Jordan didn't even make the finals until age 28.

2. Lebron James is not the next Minor, don't worry about that. He will be better than McGrady but not as good as Kobe.

3. When a player's a senior in hs, you can make a pretty dern good prediction of where he will end up in the NBA. Heck, you can make a decent prediction when a kid is in 8th grade.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Kenny Anderson and Pearl Washington were going to be the next gods too. Anderson has had a decent career, but that is it.

Showing you can't always tell by 8th grade or high school stuff.

Remember, MJ didn't make varsity until his junior year.

That said, Lebron might be great. It depends on how he develops

·
Jersey Girl
10,482 Posts
i only mentioned minor because beutifulkobe said

This irks me, kobe is only 24 and already they are calling lebron the next kobe bryant.People didnt look for the next mj or larry bird till after they retired.
but i think that minor was called "baby jordan" before jordan retired.

and dr.j, you're right...some people's talents are spotted early (like jason kidd's name was heard of when he was only in the 8th grade) while others show their talent late (as you mentioned with jordan).

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Originally posted by bballx.com
3 points

1. MVPs are worthless unless you're a selfish player (like Jordan). Only Championships matter. Kobe has 3 at age 23. Jordan didn't even make the finals until age 28.

2. Lebron James is not the next Minor, don't worry about that. He will be better than McGrady but not as good as Kobe.

3. When a player's a senior in hs, you can make a pretty dern good prediction of where he will end up in the NBA. Heck, you can make a decent prediction when a kid is in 8th grade.
1. Kobe at age 23 has been in the league for 6 years. Jordan at age 23 was in his 2nd year. Jordan was a ball-hog? At age 23 Jordan took 18.2 shots per game. At age 23 Kobe took 19.96 shots per game. So who's hogging what? In Jordan's 5 MVP seasons he averaged 4.8 assits per game. Kobe's career assist average is 3.8, granted he didn't get a lot of playing time his first few years. However, comparing Kobe to Jordan or saying Jordan was selfish, is a ludicrous claim.

2. LeBron hasn't done anything in the NBA. There have been plenty of highly touted HS players that have become complete busts.

3. I agree with this point. However, the exceptions to the rule make it pointless to make assumptions about what LeBron will become.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Originally posted by KC

1. Kobe at age 23 has been in the league for 6 years. Jordan at age 23 was in his 2nd year. Jordan was a ball-hog? At age 23 Jordan took 18.2 shots per game. At age 23 Kobe took 19.96 shots per game. So who's hogging what? In Jordan's 5 MVP seasons he averaged 4.8 assits per game. Kobe's career assist average is 3.8, granted he didn't get a lot of playing time his first few years. However, comparing Kobe to Jordan or saying Jordan was selfish, is a ludicrous claim.

2. LeBron hasn't done anything in the NBA. There have been plenty of highly touted HS players that have become complete busts.

3. I agree with this point. However, the exceptions to the rule make it pointless to make assumptions about what LeBron will become.
1. No, calling Jordan selfish is an entirely valid claim. I like the way you twist the truth, that will serve you well in life. Jordan only played 18 games in 1985-86 and only played 25 minutes a game. Naturally, he averaged less shots that year. In 86-87, Jordan averaged 27.79 shots per game! Jordan averaged more shot attempts per game during his career than any other player - ever!

Also, Jordan could have declared for the NBA draft at 18, just like Kobe. Only Jordan wasn't as good as Kobe at 18, probably wouldn't have been drafted at 18. Kobe is also superior to Jordan at age 23. 3 Championships is the only Kobe stat that I really care about, as I am a lifelong Lakers fan.

2. If James stays healthy, there is 0.0% chance that he won't get 20 ppg 4 years from now - probably more like 25-30 ppg. I doubted Jermaine O'Neal a bit. I even doubted McGrady would ever be this good. However, Lebron has much more talent that those guys. He just has the all-around skills that can't fail in the NBA after a few years of NBA development.

But you're entitled to your opinion! I don't like the way Lebron has been signing his autos "King James" lately. That's probably the only thing that can stop him right there, arrogance and complacency. Jordan and Kobe have the mind that makes them legendary. We'll have to see if Lebron ever develops their psyche.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
You make a valid point, but again, shots per game doen't tell the whole story. If Kobe was without Shaq, his shots per game would rise to near Jordan's level. Jordan has also averaged 8apg in a season, which isn't the total of a selfish player.

Kobe winning 3 championships is cool, I'm happy for him. It's the only stat you care about? If it is then I will never convince you of anything and I won't waste my time. Try taking that argument to any credible basketball mind on the planet; you won't get far.

Again, any prediction on James' statistics is merely an assumption. He could be good. We shall see.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's not the only stat I want to have knowledge of. However, it's the only one that I hope for. Ppg, rpg, etc are just details. When the year is over, the only thing I want is a Lakers championship.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
It's not the only stat I want to have knowledge of. However, it's the only one that I hope for. Ppg, rpg, etc are just details. When the year is over, the only thing I want is a Lakers championship.
I understand your point, but Jordan was a great player. I don't like when people slight his accomplishments, much like people don't like when I slight Kobe... LOL

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
KC whats the point of you coming to the lakers board if you are a kings fan and probably a fan of any other team except the lakers.
You never have anything complimentary to say about any of the players especially shaq and kobe.So why come here?
Do you get a kick out of dissing the lakers any chance you get?

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Originally posted by beautifulkobe
KC whats the point of you coming to the lakers board if you are a kings fan and probably a fan of any other team except the lakers.
You never have anything complimentary to say about any of the players especially shaq and kobe.So why come here?
Do you get a kick out of dissing the lakers any chance you get?
Where did I "diss" the Lakers in this thread?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im talking in generally here.By the way have you always hated the 2000 lakers?When did this hate start?Was it before or after they won their first championship?Could you also give some logical reasons why you hate them just curious

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Well, if it is in general then you can ask me via PM since it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.... Thanks.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
beautifulkobe please try to remember that anyone has the right to post here as long as they post about the Lakers and follow the rules. Whether or not he hates the Lakers have nothing to do with his comments in this thread. Lets continue the great disscussion.

As for the topic, I have never seen Lebron James play and never pass judgement on a player I have no first-hand knowledge of.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts

1. I like the way you twist the truth, that will serve you well in life.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But I agree with you about James and his arrogance-I haven't seen him play-but I already don't like his attitude.

·
Registered
64 Posts
for all of you dissing jordan, you all are pointing out the begining of his career. if you look towards the end of it he was more of a team player. I mean look at the 96 finals. who took the winning shot? steve kerr. jordan could have been selffish and tried to make a game winner but he and the rest of the team let kerr take. and i bet all of you are going to point out the 98 finals saying he took the shot then. but there was no point passing it because the play worked in his favor so perfectly that there was no point not taking his so called "last shot"

-bUlls fan 4-life

1 - 20 of 50 Posts