Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally, I don't think he is. However, Geoffrey Arnold seems to think that the potential is there:

Magic's losses wear on McGrady

Would the Magic trade McGrady? Portland inquired about his availability, but the Magic rebuffed the proposal. That teams are even asking about McGrady -- something unthinkable a year ago -- suggests that at least some NBA decision makers believe the possibility does exist.
Sounds like Nash has tried to make an offer for McGrady. That would fit with his quote in the Quick article where he said, "nor are we satisfied with the rejections we have gotten...We proposed a lot of trades that have been turned down by other teams in the league. Those same teams may come back and change their position. It's a process."

I'd offer Rasheed+Woods+the Memphis 2004 pick+Portland's 2005 pick for McGrady+DeClercq. Or Rasheed+Woods+the Memphis 2004 pick for McGrady+Howard. Either trade gives Orlando 2 lottery picks this year (their own is a likely top 3) plus either a BIG amount of cap space if they let Sheed walk or a MLE-like amount of space if they re-sign him.

That being said, let me once again say that I don't believe that McGrady is available, but if he is.....

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
I imagine if we take McGrady we would have to take Hill's contract, which is Ugly, but maybe worth it.

A deal like Sheed, DA and McInnis for McGrady and Hill Works financially.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Take Hill and keep the pick(s), maybe? We don't want to risk investing everything in bringing in one player, otherwise we'll basically be Orlando West. Keeping at least one good pick around to go after a PG or C (and a SG or SF, which ever position McGrady doesn't line up at), would really help the rebuilding effort.

Dan
-- greedy is good

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by <b>Schilly</b>!
I imagine if we take McGrady we would have to take Hill's contract, which is Ugly, but maybe worth it.

A deal like Sheed, DA and McInnis for McGrady and Hill Works financially.
If that's the case, I don't see them taking DA's long-term deal.

They would want the cap room. So, how about Sheed+Person+Memphis' 2004 pick for McGrady+Hill. Gives them a HUGE amount of cap room this summer. So, they add 2 lottery picks and a premiere FA to the fold.

So, if they believe that they would have a chance at signing Kobe, for example, (if they had the cap room) then a trade like this makes a lot of sense. They could sign Kobe for the MAX, add the 2 draft picks and still be $7-8 million under the cap if they let both Sheed and Person walk.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>dkap</b>!
Take Hill and keep the pick(s), maybe? We don't want to risk investing everything in bringing in one player, otherwise we'll basically be Orlando West.
While I agree with the principle of not offering more than one must, I don't think the risk of becoming Orlando West is too high, since Portland would keep Randolph. Lack of a Randolph is exactly the thng that prevents Orlando from winning, a capable second threat and big man.

I do agree, if taking on Hill's contract reduces the assets we have to give up, I say do it. Hill's contract expires in two more seasons. If Nash is smart about things, he'll time his rebuild to conclude right about then...meaning that Hill's deal won't hamper a hopefully elite team and Nash may get some value back for Hill's expiring contract just in time to use it on a contending team.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by <b>Minstrel</b>!
Hill's contract expires in two more seasons.
Hill's contract runs through 2006-07. He has a player option in 2005, but does anyone believe that he won't exercise the option?

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Da makes about 60% of What Hill Makes and at least shows up a few games a year. The contracts expire at the same time after the 2007 season. Orlando saves a bunch of money, but Portland takes on more, but again for the Services of McGrady it may be worth it. McGrady and Z-Bo may not get along too well though

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>So Cal Blazer Fan</b>!

Hill's contract runs through 2006-07. He has a player option in 2005, but does anyone believe that he won't exercise the option?
Oh wow, three more seasons? Incredible. I thought he had the same deal McGrady did, which was a player option in off-season 2005, contract over in off-season 2006.

You're saying his contract is over in off-season 2007. Damn.

Well, I think I'd still take Hill's deal, if it mean reducing the amount Portland had to send for McGrady. Three seasons of such monetary burden is a pain...but in the third season (just before he's about to expire) Portland may be able to deal him as a valuable expiring contract (just as they hope to do with Wallace).

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Wow, think about the rivalry we could build with LA again. TMac and Kobe would play eachother 4 times a year, granted Kobe stays with LA...

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
If you could keep Hill off the court for another year, then you can save money on his contract (like the Hawks with Terrell Brandon).

I don't think McGrady will be dealt anyway, but if he was you would have to give up a lot. Look at what the Knicks had to give up to get Marbury, and consider that McGrady is probably worth more.

Maybe - McGrady and Hill for Sheed, Woods, Outlaw, Blazers 2004 first round pick, Memphis 2004 first round pick, future first round pick. Probably doesn't work capwise, but I'm guessing it would take something like that.

:whoknows:

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by <b>Scinos</b>!
Look at what the Knicks had to give up to get Marbury, and consider that McGrady is probably worth more.

Maybe - McGrady and Hill for Sheed, Woods, Outlaw, Blazers 2004 first round pick, Memphis 2004 first round pick, future first round pick. Probably doesn't work capwise, but I'm guessing it would take something like that.
NY sent McDyess, Eisley, Lampe, rights to Vujanic and 2 draft picks.

I agree that Portland would probably have to send a similar package.

But consider these points:

1) Hill's contract is worse than Hardaway's. That lowers the price than if McGrady was dealt by himself.

2) Rasheed's production this year makes his expiring contract more valuable than McDyess' expiring contract.

3) Phoenix had to take Eisley's terrible contract, I wouldn't propose that Orlando take back any terrible contracts. Again, lowers the price.

Yeah, now that I think about it, the price for McGrady+Hill would probably be Wallace+Person+Memphis' 2004 pick+Portland's 2005 pick. Or perhaps Wallace+Person+Woods+Memphis' 2004 pick.

If the Marbury deal is considered to be "fair value", then that's a comparable trade offer.

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
It seems to me the only reason why Orlando might consider moving McGrady is that they could feel that they'll never get production out of Hill's escalating contract, and that their fanbase is dying a slow death because of their inability to compete. Their attendance figures are thousands per game below Portland's.

Just to stir the pot some more... howzabouts Hill and Tracy for Wallace, Person, and either pick(s?) or Outlaw. They'd only have about 20 mil on the books for next season, and would be in position to go after multiple FA's. Of note... Orlando's players benefit from Florida's low income tax, or in other words, it's not what you make but what you keep.

Since Portland would be gaining McGrady, they'd be able to absorb the loss of Person ;)

STOMP

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>STOMP</b>!

Since Portland would be gaining McGrady, they'd be able to absorb the loss of Person ;)
We'd lose our only dead-eye outside shooter!

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Who knows is McGrady's really on the block... if he is, Orlando could hold out hope for a sign and trade with Kobe Bryant this summer.

Or they could NOT have him on the block and be hoping Hill can't play so they can get out from under his contract.

I wonder if they'd do this deal:

McGrady, Gooden, Hill's contract

for

Rasheed, ZR, Damon

The salaries match. Orlando'd get a big boost from Drew to Zach and a big savings this summer with Rasheed expiring and ANOTHER big savings next summer with Damon coming off the books.

Would Blazers fans do it? I would.

Ed O.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I am with Ed O on this one.

You better be willing to trade ANYONE on the Blazers to get McGrady. He is a superstar, top 5 talent. They are impossible to obtain.

Of course you would love to keep one of either Sheed or Zach. But if both are required - do it. Then worry about rebuilding the team later.

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ed O</b>!
Would Blazers fans do it (McGrady, Gooden, Hill's contract for Rasheed, ZR, Damon)? I would.
How would Portland be in any better shape after this hypothetical swap then Orlando is now? Portland would be left with McInnis, DA, Rube, McGrady, Q, Gooden, and Dale as their primary players (plus possibly Outlaw and their two picks), but no cap space on the horizon unless Hill graciously opted out when his players option came up. IMO that squad would only have borderline playoff potencial in the short term because of a lack of quality size to slow down any good bigs. I'd be more favorable towards this if (putting on my GM hat here) practice had sold me on the potencial of Nedzad and Outlaw, and/or if my scouts were sky high on the potencial of the talent in this upcoming draft.

STOMP

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Another reason that McGrady might become available is that he has an out option in his deal after next season. Imagine how their management views their future if (worst case senerio) Tracy is gone without compensation and Grant stays on... :eek:

...of course I'm sure that there would be a couple of teams interested in his services next year too, but unless they feel they can provide him with reasons to believe that the Magic will become competitive, I can understand why the Magic might be willing to deal him.

STOMP

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Another reason that McGrady might become available is that he has an out option in his deal after next season. Imagine how their management views their future if (worst case senerio) Tracey is gone without compensation and Grant stays on... :eek:

...of course I'm sure that there would be a couple of teams interested in his services next year too, but unless they feel they can provide him with reasons to believe that the Magic will become competitive, I can understand why the Magic might be willing to deal him.

STOMP
Wouldn't they still have his "Bird" rights?

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Sure they would, but the premise I'm going on here is that losing 19 strait and generally being on a horrible team isn't something he'd choose to continue to be a part of... though I guess they might be able to S&T him... I'm not sure how many teams are lining up their finances to be players for the 2004-2005 FA class.

Just trying to provide some more fodder :)

STOMP

·
Registered
16,001 Posts

How would Portland be in any better shape after this hypothetical swap then Orlando is now?
At first they might not be, but eventually Portland will be significantly better, asuuming they don't stay super-cheap on us. Orlando's made one mistake after another since signing McGrady, including bad drafts and poor FA signings. I'd like to think that Portland can be less spectacularly bad.

Portland would be left with McInnis, DA, Rube, McGrady, Q, Gooden, and Dale as their primary players (plus possibly Outlaw and their two picks), but no cap space on the horizon unless Hill graciously opted out when his players option came up.
Portland's been pretty good the last few years without having any cap space. The last player of consequence Portland added via something larger than the MLE was Brian Grant.

This year's roster would look like this:

PG: McInnis, ??
SG: McGrady, DA, Person
SF: Patterson, Woods, Outlaw
PF: Gooden, ??
C: Davis, Stepania

IL: Hill

Next year, we'd have our own pick as well as Memphis's (unless, of course, we had to give one or both to get McGrady; I'm not sure we would). We'd be in a position to add another MLE free agent (since insurance would be covering a huge chunk of Hill's salary and there will probably be no luxury tax, Portland would be able to spend on the team again).

IMO that squad would only have borderline playoff potencial in the short term because of a lack of quality size to slow down any good bigs. I'd be more favorable towards this if (putting on my GM hat here) practice had sold me on the potencial of Nedzad and Outlaw, and/or if my scouts were sky high on the potencial of the talent in this upcoming draft.
I hear what you're saying... the team WOULD be thin up front. Even moreso than at the moment. But I just think that McGrady is the kind of talent that's worth building around and the team wouldn't have to go absolutely in the toilet to get him in the situation we're discussing.

Ed O.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts