Votes: 6 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 14.3%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are 3 main parts to being a GM in my eyes.

1. Drafting
2. Trading
3. Signings

Mullin has looked pretty solid in the draft area (although we haven't seen Diogu yet).

The signings have been horrible. We all know about the Foyle and Fisher deals, and now the Dunleavy deal looks pretty bad also. At the very least, he should have let Dunleavy earn it by playing well this year. JRich and Murpy deals look ok, on par with the market.

I'm not really sure about the trades. I know he got extremely lucky with the Baron deal, but his other deals (Jamison, Nick Van Exel) weren't anything special. (I know he wasn't GM for the Jamison deal, but it was said he was a major influence in making that deal happen).

Basically, I think a lot of us have given him a free pass because he got Baron. But he is absolutely killing us on these signings. How are we going to retain Pietrus, Biedrins, etc when all of our money is tied up in medicore role players?

·
Premium Member
6,651 Posts
Is Mullin trying to recreate the Run TMC team? I've kind of thought about it--he's in love w/ Dunleavy, which is a poorer version of Mullin himself. Baron is Timmy. J-Rich = Mitch. Geez...I think part of signing Foyle for as much money has to do with Foyle off the court reminding him of Manute Bol.

I was in Mullin's corner, hard core, up until the Dunleavy signing. I saw the Foyle and Fisher signings as rookie mistakes. He came back with good signings with Murphy and Richardson (who are both paid, arguably, under market value for the numbers they put up).

Drafting has been a strong point of Mullin's, although I agree with halfbreed 100%--how the heck are we suppose to keep these players when the cash is tied up in underperforming players w/ massive contracts (i.e. Dunleavy and Foyle most especially, and Fisher).

Trades...I don't see anything wrong there, really. Jamison for NVE--Jamison was not a piece to bulid around. I think Mullin decided to start over by trading Jamision, and I agree with that move. Building the team around J-Rich was the way to go, and Mullin's done an o.k. job with that.

One more thing--I can't help but think there's a trade still in the works for either Dunleavy or Pietrus (even despite Dunleavy's resigning). Come February, if there isn't a sensable move of one of these players, I've gotta say the cards ares stacking more against Mullin.

I'm voting that he's still a good GM, although I'm looking over the fence, entertaining more and more arguments from the nay-sayers.

·
Registered
811 Posts
bruindre said:
the cash is tied up in underperforming players w/ massive contracts (i.e. Dunleavy and Foyle most especially, and Fisher).
Not to be too optimistic but 9 games into the season, and I've been INCREDIBLY impressed with Fisher and pretty impressed with Foyle. Fisher is doing what we wanted him to do, be the great shooter he can be, be a decent ballhandler, play good defense and provide his leadership. Foyle has also done what we ask of him, rebounding and defense with maybe one or two possessions he can post up with the ball.

I'm not saying Mullin didn't overpay but so far this season, I can say that they are living up to their contract moreso than last year.

·
Premium Member
6,651 Posts
D5 said:
Not to be too optimistic but 9 games into the season, and I've been INCREDIBLY impressed with Fisher and pretty impressed with Foyle. Fisher is doing what we wanted him to do, be the great shooter he can be, be a decent ballhandler, play good defense and provide his leadership. Foyle has also done what we ask of him, rebounding and defense with maybe one or two possessions he can post up with the ball.

I'm not saying Mullin didn't overpay but so far this season, I can say that they are living up to their contract moreso than last year.
I couldn't agree with you more, D5. I think Fisher, so far, has played WAY better than he did last year (at least compared to any 9 game stretch last season). But let me ask you this...is his contract worth his role on the team?

And if you're picking one or two possessions out of 9 GAMES to defend Foyle offensively, you're grasping at straws. Foyle has only really looked active w.r.t. defensive rebounding the last two games. And the defense....playing on a front line that features the defense of Troy Murphy and Mike Dunleavy, he's going to look like an all-NBA defender next to those two. Foyle is WAY not worth the money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts