Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always stuck up for Paul Silas even though I know he has a history of doing bone headed things. Let me be the frist to say he has always wanted, or maybe let me say been enamored with wanting a Uber star SG in the Jordan mold. The more I watch the Cavs game I think, no I know Silas gets bothered by James unselfishness to the point where he wants him to continuously jack up shots. Thats not his game and as you can see in this article Silas says himself that he sees him in the Jordan mold. Sickening, regardless of what he says, he would be taking him away from his strong points. Give him at least a season. Hes still just 8 months removed from high school and Silas is already retracking on his earlier statements of Lebron being a more athletic Magic Johnson. Maybe he wasnt the right coach for Lebron

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=knight-jamesnotidealrunningpoint&prov=knight&type=lgns

·
Premium Member
6,992 Posts
The only thing this is going to change is the way LeBron James develops. Instead of developing into one of the best point guards of all-time he will become another wing player like T-Mac, Kobe, and Pierce. Hopefully Paxson hears Silas' comments and disagrees with them and either forces Silas' gameplan which is highly unlikely because no coach likes to be told how to coach and manage the course of a game. The other option for Paxson is to fire Silas after the season and find a better replacement. A coach like George Karl may be the answer. Karl is going to be one of the most heralded coaches in the offseason along with Doc Rivers so it will probably take a nice size check to reel them in.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
He even compared Ricky Davis to MJ....

The only reason Paul was hired was to bring up the young guys, and supposedly he's doing it the wrong way. Lebron is not Micheal Jordan. Noone is Micheal Jordan. He should either realize that that's not Lebron's game himself, have a talk about the team direction with paxson, or be fired at the end of the season.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: He even compared Ricky Davis to MJ....

Originally posted by <b>dre1218us</b>!
The only reason Paul was hired was to bring up the young guys, and supposedly he's doing it the wrong way. Lebron is not Micheal Jordan. Noone is Micheal Jordan. He should either realize that that's not Lebron's game himself, have a talk about the team direction with paxson, or be fired at the end of the season.
When I read that, I was really saddened by those comments. That was ridiculous comments in my book.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Paul Silas is one of the best coachs in the NBA.

·
Registered
493 Posts
There you have it now, directly from Silas.

To quote Silas: "Right now we have nobody, including Lebron who can explode and run up court to start fast breaks and initiate offense to get us easy baskets"

Exactly what I've been telling you all along. That thing Silas is talking about was one of Magic Johnson's specialties. I told you, and now even Silas is realizing and telling you that Lebron has nothing that Magic had.

You guys seem to watch too much ESPN and just repeat here the same quotes they spew out on ESPN ( Lebron has great court awareness, We haven't seen this kind of a player since Magic Johnson, etc............. ).

If you stoped listening to ESPN guys and started watching more carefully, you too would have seen that Lebron has nothing in common with Magic. Now they are going to try to turn him into a shooting guard and he can't shoot. So like I said before , he'll be another Francis, AI or some other ball hog like that. Do we really need any more of those?

·
Registered
490 Posts
quit trippin

there was nothing wrong with what silas said. it falls right in line with the way he's communicated to and about lebron from day one. they've gone back and forth on where he might fit best because he's got enough skills to play multiple positions. i think ultimately it will lead to more flexibility in lebron's game, just like jordan. i think people are worrying too much about his position because the cavs don't have a ton of talent.

from what i've heard from silas and lebron, they both realize they are gonna be together for at least 4 years, and both are working at winning with and around lebron no matter what. i wouldn't doubt if lebron goes through a couple more position changes in his career. i ain't worried. i get the feeling that silas isn't talking behind anyone's back or playing phil jackson-like headgames.

·
Registered
493 Posts
No, there was nothing wron with what Silas says.

Silas was wrong the first time when he said that Lebron had good court awareness and compared him to Magic.

Now Silas finally realizes what was obvious from the start, and that is that Lebron can never be 1/2 as good as Magic and it's time to rethink things.

And Silas obviously doesn't think that Lebron is talented enough to play multiple positions. He says: We have nobody who can run offense in that way and give us easy baskets. He also says: "Lebron is strong and big, not small and quick"

Well, Magic was bigger than Lebron and quicker, if not in a sprint, but definitely in a way he thought and reacted , starting fast breaks and creating easy baskets for his teammates.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Originally posted by <b>therealdeal</b>!

Do we really need any more of those?
Do you have a choice? Did you hear Silas say that he's not a special player? One of the major problems with the Cavs is that LeBron is learning to run the point on the job. He never ran it in High School. He's doing an admirable job but dictating the tempo is not his strong suit as yet. To say he can't shoot is to indict quite a few players in the NBA. LeBron is currently constricted by the fact that he is the only person on the Cavs team who can score.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Ricky and Lebron were both averaging 16 ppg, 5-6 boards and 5-6 assists shooting 40%.

Trade Lebron instead of Ricky and Ricky's numbers go up just like Lebrons.

That's my point. Cavs gained absolutely nothing withe their #1 draft pick. Those two are the exact same crap. And assuming that Lebron will improve significantly is just an assumption. For every player who does improve significantly there are 10 who do not ( Darius MIles, Francis, etc..... ).

·
Registered
336 Posts
I told everybody that King James was not a PG, to many turnovers, can't push the ball up court. He is better off as a 2 or 3. I hate to say it but I told y'all.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Wow this thread is bringing all the haters out.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Ricky and Lebron were both averaging 16 ppg, 5-6 boards and 5-6 assists shooting 40%.

Trade Lebron instead of Ricky and Ricky's numbers go up just like Lebrons.

That's my point. Cavs gained absolutely nothing withe their #1 draft pick. Those two are the exact same crap.
Worst post ever? I would give you a 2 or 3 star for this hatred but I don't rate people unless I have a good rating to give them.

If LeBron put up numbers like Darko Milicic he still would have brought more things to the team then most players do in there careers already. The hype, the fans, the cash, the popularity. He sparked the engine for the Cavs to even start trying again.

·
Registered
493 Posts
not haters, just realistic people.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
therealdeal and Jockrider in the same thread? Don't you guys take turns? I don't think I can handle this much irrational, bitter ranting in one thread!

I know you guys call each other to talk about how much LeBron sucks... next time try coordinating your efforts, will you? This is too much.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by <b>Jockrider</b>!
I told everybody that King James was not a PG, to many turnovers, can't push the ball up court. He is better off as a 2 or 3. I hate to say it but I told y'all.
Ridiculous post, hes done just the opposite and of course the turnovers were going to be there, hes right out of high school

·
Registered
493 Posts
I guess then according to your definition Paul Silas is a hater too.

This is what he said, exact quote:

"We aren't getting any easy baskets right now, and that's a problem," Silas said. "We don't have anybody, LeBron included, that can explode up the court... That's how you initiate (offense) a la Jason Kidd and Baron Davis and those kind of players.

"Silas said that James' ball-handling skills have improved, but that he's not certain the 6-foot-8, 240-pounder will become a fluid point guard the likes of Jason Kidd." "I think that's something you either have or you don't... LeBron is big and strong, not small and quick. "

Exactly what I've been telling you all along. Lebron has no special talent to even think he could ever be like Magic ( what a lot of people were saying ). Now Silas is saying , he can't even be like Jason Kidd, which is like severely crippled Magic.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess then according to your definition Paul Silas is a hater too.

This is what he said, exact quote:

"We aren't getting any easy baskets right now, and that's a problem," Silas said. "We don't have anybody, LeBron included, that can explode up the court... That's how you initiate (offense) a la Jason Kidd and Baron Davis and those kind of players.

"Silas said that James' ball-handling skills have improved, but that he's not certain the 6-foot-8, 240-pounder will become a fluid point guard the likes of Jason Kidd." "I think that's something you either have or you don't... LeBron is big and strong, not small and quick. "

Exactly what I've been telling you all along. Lebron has no special talent to even think he could ever be like Magic ( what a lot of people were saying ). Now Silas is saying , he can't even be like Jason Kidd, which is like severely crippled Magic.
Paul Silas track record as a talent evaluator speaks for itself so I dont have to talk on it.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
I think the LeBron project at PG should be put to rest. Slide him over to the 2, and let him run wild like T-Mac, Kobe, and Iverson.

I don't think Dajuan is a good fit w/ James in their backcourt. Wagner needs the ball, and the Cavs need their PG to distribute and play D.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RebelSun</b>!
I think the LeBron project at PG should be put to rest. Slide him over to the 2, and let him run wild like T-Mac, Kobe, and Iverson.

I don't think Dajuan is a good fit w/ James in their backcourt. Wagner needs the ball, and the Cavs need their PG to distribute and play D.
I don't know about that. Lebron is a gifted scorer but he's also a great passer. TMac, Kobe, and AI are all great passers as well but Lebron seems to "get off" on passing. He enjoys it and has a flair for making the dramatic pass. He reminds me of Penny (I'll stay away from Magic) in that regard. Penny had a guard's body so maybe he isn't the dieal comparison. I might compare Lebron more to a Scottie Pippen or Grant Hill in terms of his build. He's got a large frame so maybe he can play point-forward like Pippen and Hill. He can be a SF who controls the ball on offense but defends SFs on defense. That is a role that I can envision Lebron playing. Unfortunately, Silas seems to have other plans for Lebron. He traded away the team's best scorer and has annointed Lebron as the Cav's go-to-guy. I don't want to see him force Lebron into a role that he's not comfortable with. For starters, he'll never be effective in that role in the near future. He's going to be unsure of himself and think too much rather than playing instinctively. As time passes and he becomes more comfortable in that role he'll probably embrace it. Once he does this he'll become less and less of a playmaker on offense. I think he's got the potential to make the players around him better like Penny did but Silas seems to want to turn him into a Kobe or TMac-type player. There is nothing wrong with that. Those players are terrific. However, I think the ideal player for a franchise is a guy like Magic who makes everyone around him better. You can surround those guys with other talented players. If you were to start a franchise around Jordan you would have to surround him with players who would defer to him. These players might be better fits but they might not be quite as talented. Obviously, you don't want your superstar competing with other talented players for the ball. If Cleveland wants to go that route and turn Lebron into the next Jordan then they are off to a good start. They traded away Ricky Davis. They probably need to get rid of Wagner as well because I can't see him meshing with Lebron. If they come to their senses and let Lebron be Lebron then they had better wise up. They need to surround him with capable scorers who will take some of the pressure off of him. Right now they don't really have that. They are stuck in "purgatory". They don't seem to have any sense of what they are doing right now. Some of the players complement Lebron and some of the players really don't. They probably need an offseason or two to overhaul the roster and surround Lebron with the talent that he needs.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts