Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Snake
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching the UNC game last night and I couldn't help but thinking that McCants is almost exactly what the Bulls need. A shooter who doesn't mind bringing it to the hole. Good on defense, but the question is....Is he too short to do anything on the next level. They have him listed at 6'5'' I believe, but he looks closer to Wade's size. Is he athletic enough is another concern? Anyways sound off.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
McCants is listed at either 6'3" or 6'4", depending on which publication/media guide you look at, and about 205 pounds with a nice solid, muscular frame. As I watch a whole hell of a lot of college hoops, let me add some comments about Mr. McCants.

First and foremost, he's got a very nice combination of strength and athleticism. He's a physical guard, but also one who can play above the rim and throw down on people. Very good quickness, very good leaping ability, fast in the open court. He's a great scorer, period (averaged 17 ppg as a freshman) and is a good (albeit streaky) shooter from the college three-point line. His slashing is effective at the college level, although I have my doubts as to how effective it could at the NBA level, as his penetration is akin to charging bull on acid. He often keeps his head down when he dribbles, and his handle is less than average for a guard, and when he drives it's almost as if there's no other option for him once he starts his move. He's effective because he's so quick and strong, but he looks like a friggin' robot. His defense and passing are average, but he does rebound well due to his aforementioned strength and athleticism. I do think these areas of his game will improve under new coach Roy Williams, a coach who's no slouch at developing players for the League.

IMO, McCants has zero chance of becoming a point guard, even at the college level, and his prospects of becoming an effective SG at the pro level are somewhat limited because of his size and unrefined ancillary skills. However, the kid is only a sophomore, and will surely improve. Will he get drafted after he's done at UNC, whenever that may be? Almost certainly. Where he's drafted depends on how much he improves under Williams.

Oh yeah, almost forgot -- McCants has a bit of an attitude problem. He sulks a lot and IMO thinks he's better than he is. Under both Matt Doherty and Roy Williams, he's been benched for one reason or another, and his parents have lashed out against the coaches in response. A bit of a red flag, but one that can probably be chalked up to simple immaturity.

http://tarheelblue.ocsn.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/mccants_rashad00.html

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
I will watch him closely and see how he does against Ben Gordon this weekend. We certainly can use some depth at the guard spot. Though getting a starting quality 3 has to be the most pressing need

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
The guy can score, flat-out. But his height is a huge issue.. if he were 2-3 inches taller, I'd take him with a top 10 pick. But he's not.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts