Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this segment of Court Call, Coach Nick and 19-year NBA official Ronnie Nunn explore five fan questions, including whether or not Roy Hibbert is getting calls based on his reputation as a defensive stopper.

Indiana Pacers big man Roy Hibbert has a reputation of being an all-world defender and rim protector for good reason.

His defense against the Miami Heat in the Eastern Conference Finals in 2013 highlighted his ability to change the game.

In the latest segment of Court Call, Coach Nick and 19-year veteran NBA official Ronnie Nunn discuss whether or not Hibbert's getting calls based on his perceived defensive prowess. They also address several other NBA fans' questions on officiating.

Coach Nick and former 19 year NBA Referee Ronnie Nunn go over five calls suggested by you, the fans:

1. Did Blake Griffin travel when Jason Thompson pulled the chair on him?

2. Did Andre Miller commit a free throw violation on his offensive rebound of Wilson Chandler's miss?

3. Did Amir Johnson deserve his technical foul for hanging on the rim?

4. Did Shawne Williams properly box out Andre Drummond?

5. Does Roy Hibbert get away with Fouling?

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/11/27/5150008/court-call-nick-ronnie-nunn-roy-hibbert

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
No. Everyone seems to want to pin this verticallity rule on Roy Hibbert.

He jumps straight up with his hands up in the air. If guys can't figure out how to score on that, too bad.

I for one am glad to see the league slowly moving away from allowing players to just bull rush in on offense and throw a pre planned arm flail and go to the line every play.

The majority of good players in the league have trained their foul draws as much as the do their shots. Look at Wades pump fake where he jumps into the player after they bite. Hes practiced that thousands of times and has it down to a T. Or guys like Harden who flail around as soon as someone is anywhere near them in the paint. He has practiced that. And who can blame him? If the league rewards it, why not? Which is why this new verticallity rule is the best rule change we've seen in quite some time.

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
Yes the doctor is right. David Stern and the NBA favour the small-market Indiana Pacers. Our lack of a household name on our team makes us a huge TV draw and the NBA would love to see us in the finals over that LeBron guy.

·
Tangible
14,515 Posts
I don't think that it's a coincidence he struggled early on in his career with fouls and then when the NBA changed ("refocused") its emphasis on verticality he became a better defender.

It goes both ways. Early in his career he got unfairly punished for fouls because the refs didn't call the game in a way that benefited his playstyle. Now, the refs call the game in a way that suits his playstyle.

So before he used to be punished more and now he gets the benefit more. Sometimes the refs are going to let fouls by him go because it fits the style of play that they are "emphasizing:"

That's not a criticism because most of the time he is vertical and the refs have to make a split second judgment and most of the time he isn't fouling. But it does get frustrating the times he does foul and the refs are busy anticipating instead of doing their job well.

And I have a serious problem with the way refs unfairly have a second set of rules for guys like LeBron, Shaq, and Yao Ming. I've always felt that they deserve equal treatment and if Shaq or Yao got to the line 20 times a game then they deserve it, let them change the game and earn their stats in history, and don't try to nerf players let the game grow organically.

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
He struggled early on in his career because most big guys do. They take a long time to develop and Roy Hibbert was no exception. Everyone complains about how soft the league is these days and how they miss the way the game was refereed in the 90's. Now big Roy is allowed a little bit of contact when protecting the rim and all you Heat fans start crying? Get the **** outta here. As long as his arms are straight up(which majority of the time they are) he has every right to defend the rim even if there is some contact. Sure sometimes he may get away with illegal contact here and there but there is also many other times where his arms are straight up and the refs still call a foul so it really goes both ways. Speaking of both ways, you can't talk about preferential treatment without mentioning LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. So if I was a Heat fan, I would stay quiet on the subject.

·
Tangible
14,515 Posts
He struggled early on in his career because most big guys do. They take a long time to develop and Roy Hibbert was no exception. Everyone complains about how soft the league is these days and how they miss the way the game was refereed in the 90's.
I don't give a shit what "everybody" complains about.

Now big Roy is allowed a little bit of contact when protecting the rim and all you Heat fans start crying?
Who is crying besides you? I even said he isn't committing a foul most of the time. I said he was unfairly officiated early in his career and now he gets a fairer deal. I'd say I'm being pretty objective. And me being a Heat fan has nothing to do with this at all.

Get the **** outta here. As long as his arms are straight up(which majority of the time they are) he has every right to defend the rim even if there is some contact.
Didn't I say majority of the time he is fine?

Sure sometimes he may get away with illegal contact here and there but there is also many other times where his arms are straight up and the refs still call a foul so it really goes both ways.
Isn't this exactly what I ****ing said? Are you crying? All you did was take out my pertinent information about the NBA's refocus of verticality and make a shittier post.

Speaking of both ways, you can't talk about preferential treatment without mentioning LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. So if I was a Heat fan, I would stay quiet on the subject.
Relative to their peers and their standing in the game (championships and awards and stats) they don't even shoot the most free throws so your argument is pretty awful. The hell does being a Heat fan have to do with anything?

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
I don't give a shit what "everybody" complains about.

Who is crying besides you? I even said he isn't committing a foul most of the time. I said he was unfairly officiated early in his career and now he gets a fairer deal. I'd say I'm being pretty objective. And me being a Heat fan has nothing to do with this at all.

Didn't I say majority of the time he is fine?

Isn't this exactly what I ****ing said? Are you crying? All you did was take out my pertinent information about the NBA's refocus of verticality and make a shittier post.

Relative to their peers and their standing in the game (championships and awards and stats) they don't even shoot the most free throws so your argument is pretty awful. The hell does being a Heat fan have to do with anything?
Did I quote your post? Was my post specifically directed at you? No it wasn't, it was directed at the large amount of Heat fans that constantly bitch about how Roy Hibbert plays. So go have a hissy fit back in the Heat forum and celebrate the impressive 1 point victory over the Bobcats last night.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Yes he does.

And I was the first here to point it out, the Pacers in general are refereed differently than the rest of the league. They can do anything they want, even draw blood.

See my insight here

http://www.basketballforum.com/nba-forum/511945-how-roy-hibbert-going-refereed-next-year.html
I don't think that it's a coincidence he struggled early on in his career with fouls and then when the NBA changed ("refocused") its emphasis on verticality he became a better defender.

It goes both ways. Early in his career he got unfairly punished for fouls because the refs didn't call the game in a way that benefited his playstyle. Now, the refs call the game in a way that suits his playstyle.

So before he used to be punished more and now he gets the benefit more. Sometimes the refs are going to let fouls by him go because it fits the style of play that they are "emphasizing:"

That's not a criticism because most of the time he is vertical and the refs have to make a split second judgment and most of the time he isn't fouling. But it does get frustrating the times he does foul and the refs are busy anticipating instead of doing their job well.

And I have a serious problem with the way refs unfairly have a second set of rules for guys like LeBron, Shaq, and Yao Ming. I've always felt that they deserve equal treatment and if Shaq or Yao got to the line 20 times a game then they deserve it, let them change the game and earn their stats in history, and don't try to nerf players let the game grow organically.
Serious question: Do Lebron James and Dwyane Wade get preferential treatment?

·
Tangible
14,515 Posts
Did I quote your post? Was my post specifically directed at you? No it wasn't, it was directed at the large amount of Heat fans that constantly bitch about how Roy Hibbert plays. So go have a hissy fit back in the Heat forum and celebrate the impressive 1 point victory over the Bobcats last night.
You're such a smart and likable person.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
only when they flop. Besides that I think refs actually go pretty hard on LeBron. He gets fouled going to the basket a lot more than what they call
He gets fouled more than they call, but he also commits offensive fouls more often than what they call. You haven't been super vocal about Hibbert (that I can remember) but certain other people seem to be most upset that a player other than one on the Heat will sometimes get the benefit of the doubt, not that officiating is lopsided in the Pacers' favor.

·
Banned
15,209 Posts
He gets fouled more than they call, but he also commits offensive fouls more often than what they call. You haven't been super vocal about Hibbert (that I can remember) but certain other people seem to be most upset that a player other than one on the Heat will sometimes get the benefit of the doubt, not that officiating is lopsided in the Pacers' favor.
I'm one of the few people in the world that has no problem with officiating in the NBA. It's the toughest sport to officiate and they get the call right most of the time. Hibbert and LeBron are no exception

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
I'm one of the few people in the world that has no problem with officiating in the NBA. It's the toughest sport to officiate and they get the call right most of the time. Hibbert and LeBron are no exception
As long as you're consistent from team to team I have no issue with this stance. I actually tend to agree that the league's done a relatively good job of reffing in the last several years (with some outlier games that were bad, I'm sure).

·
Banned
15,209 Posts
As long as you're consistent from team to team I have no issue with this stance. I actually tend to agree that the league's done a relatively good job of reffing in the last several years (with some outlier games that were bad, I'm sure).
I don't ever complain about calls and even though I have a huge man crush on LeBron I guess pissed when ever him or Wade have a hissy fit

1 - 20 of 22 Posts