Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought this up in another thread but it probably deserves one of its own.

The Lakers scouted this kid for years in Europe and obviously liked what they saw enough to warrant drafting him. All scouting reports said he is a PG, then he comes over here and has yet to play a single minute at the 1. Am I missing something? How the hell, with such accomplished floor generals such as Sir Chucks-a-Lot and Tierrible Brown in front him, has Vujacic not gotten a chance to run point even in a blowout loss? Even with the extra time he got when #8 went down he comes in and plays shooting guard, defending guys twice his weight. I could see if Jason Kidd and Bobby Jackson were our point guard rotation but that's clearly not the case.

Has he done something to disprove that he's capable of being a PG in the NBA?

If Laker management is still as high on him now as they were last summer, I honestly believe Mitch would rather draft another stiff SF or PF instead of an NBA-ready PG who may be available at their spot. This is unless they feel Sasha's only a backup-caliber player. But why would they be so dead-set on drafting a guy for so long they only felt was backup material?

I'm confused.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
its gotta be something that they know and that we don't, because as you said when he plays the 2 , he plays against guys twice his weight.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
If Felton, Jack, or Shelden Williams are still on the board, Kupchak will pick one of them, you can bank on it.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
From what little I've seen of him this year, no way. He looks like he has a decent handle and shot but his defense is very poor, his body is underdeveloped, and he really doesn't look like he belongs on an NBA roster at this point. I'll give him 2 more years and some more minutes per game before I write him off, though. At the very least I expect him to be a #3 pg behind Atkins and the guy we bring in to start. Maybe he can take over for Atkins long-term when Chucky's contract expires in a season. Beyond a backup role, I'd have to see substantial improvements in his game before I considered him as starting caliber pg.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
I honestly have no idea. He needs to work on his shot and get some PT.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EHL said:
If Felton, Jack, or Shelden Williams are still on the board, Kupchak will pick one of them, you can bank on it.
See, that's just it. I hope he would but I'm not convinced that he would. Drafting another PG in the 1st round a year after they drafted a guy they'd homed in on for years would be like Mitch admitting failure. Hopefully he has the balls to be a man, accept he may have been wrong and take the best player available in the draft even if it is another PG.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pinball said:
From what little I've seen of him this year, no way. He looks like he has a decent handle and shot but his defense is very poor, his body is underdeveloped, and he really doesn't look like he belongs on an NBA roster at this point. I'll give him 2 more years and some more minutes per game before I write him off, though. At the very least I expect him to be a #3 pg behind Atkins and the guy we bring in to start. Maybe he can take over for Atkins long-term when Chucky's contract expires in a season. Beyond a backup role, I'd have to see substantial improvements in his game before I considered him as starting caliber pg.
Agreed, I don't want to call him a bust because he's hardly played, but it doesn't look good when he can't even get any time over two undrafted, loser point guards.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
He was the point in summer league, that's all I can really form an opinion on.

He's actually pretty deceptively quick, but I don't ever remember him finishing in traffic. He's a great pull-up shooter from mid range which is actually fairly hard skill to develop. My NBA comparison= Jeff McInnis.

He doesn't have great foot speed or strength, so I doubt he'll ever be a good defender.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts