Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the Latest rumors that I have heard, is the phx Suns are looking in other directions with the team. With a core of players 22 and under who all have all-star possibilities, is Shawn Marion headed out of phx???

If so, who would be a good fit, and who would be interested in the Reining 26 year-old All star???

I have a few guesses, where he could end up, and one of the most promsing, is this situation

The Phx Suns have been rumored to want Kobe. If the Lakers demand a Sign-and-trade, DONT be surprised if the suns pull the Trigger with Marion. The reason: The suns would be the ONLY TEAM that would have enough to even come close to the talent Kobe is. Plus even though Kobe is 26 as well, the thought of getting him into a team with a solid core, and Draft picks would be Salivating for Suns GM Bryan Colangelo!!!

Maybe Im a little off base, but there are a HUGE variety of trades that could even happend before the Feb. 19th Deadline.

SO what does EVERYONE think???

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Im sure the Nets would love to have him, but I highly doubt these "rumors". I see no reason for the Suns to trade Marion. He has been nothing but outstanding for them.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Yes he is on the block IF they can get Kobe. That would be a disaster if they got rid of him and didnt get Kobe though. So holding onto him to use for a kobe sign and trade would be smart.

One thing I'm wondering is if Joe Johnson can play the 3? Thats what will happen likely once Marion is gone and if Kobe arrives.

If Kobe doesnt sign, then that makes things easy. You keep Marion at 3, and JJ at 2.

I have to think the Suns have their sights set on Kobe though. I think the Clippers will clear some space before the deadline to make a run at him also.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Joe Johnson is taller and bigger than Marion.

Marion isn't on the block.

Voshkul/Lampe/draftpick
Amare/draftpick
Marion/Zarko
Kobe/Barbosa/Jacobsen
JJ/Vujanic

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
The Suns will NOT put JJ at point. Not for more than a stretch of games anyways. He is a 2/3. Kobe would be more suited at the point than JJ.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
And you know that of course....

JJ is pretty much playing PG right now also for a good amount of time.
JJ played PG in summer league also.

Besides that the Suns don't really need a PG in the offense they run now.

·
Incognasho
4,061 Posts
Marion finally has the chance to prove he can excel without an elite PG, and he is doing it very well so far. There's no reason for the Suns to get rid of him. They've already lost a big part of their fan base, if they dealt Shawn they'd have even more problems.

I don't think Phoenix has any realistic chance at Kobe, but if they did somehow get him it wouldn't be too unrealistic to think they'd start a backcourt of Johnson and Kobe. Make no mistake, Johnson has faults in his game, but one thing he does have is point-guard handles and passing ability (he'd rather score though!). I think Phoenix is going to pursue other options with their cap space though, and Vujanic (if he comes next year, he says he wants to) and Johnson will start in the backcourt, with Barbosa playing a BoJax type role..

But.. no way is Matrix on the block.. I believe he will gradually take on a less prominent scoring role, but he is so good at other things that he is still a max-type player, and he's also just 25.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jmk</b>!
Im sure the Nets would love to have him, but I highly doubt these "rumors". I see no reason for the Suns to trade Marion. He has been nothing but outstanding for them.

errrrrrr u havent watched any suns basketball this year have u?

With Amare out with his ankle injury, much to my disliking Joe Johnson has taken over the team leader role, shooting over 50% since the Mcdyess trade.

Meanwhile Marion has been in a funk the whole season, hes had little streaks of good games, but generally for the whole season he hasnt played to his all-star status. No one wants to see Marion traded because of his past contributions to the team. But if u allow Joe to take over then ur definately in a funk.

If he cant be a proffessional and get out of the bad streak season he is having, then we might see a trade for kobe which may include marion. It all depends on how Zarko pans out.

D'Antonio and Colangelo, are really high on Zarko, they would start him in a second if they didnt have Marion. As much as we like Marion, suns want a big name free agent like kobe, and will probably make big moves if they have to.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Sovereignz</b>!
Marion finally has the chance to prove he can excel without an elite PG, and he is doing it very well so far. There's no reason for the Suns to get rid of him. They've already lost a big part of their fan base, if they dealt Shawn they'd have even more problems.

I don't think Phoenix has any realistic chance at Kobe, but if they did somehow get him it wouldn't be too unrealistic to think they'd start a backcourt of Johnson and Kobe. Make no mistake, Johnson has faults in his game, but one thing he does have is point-guard handles and passing ability (he'd rather score though!). I think Phoenix is going to pursue other options with their cap space though, and Vujanic (if he comes next year, he says he wants to) and Johnson will start in the backcourt, with Barbosa playing a BoJax type role..

But.. no way is Matrix on the block.. I believe he will gradually take on a less prominent scoring role, but he is so good at other things that he is still a max-type player, and he's also just 25.
good post sov, thats true he may not be on the block now. But if the lakers offered kobe, for a future unprotected number 1 and Marion or something like that, i think the suns would do it. Just because they are lacking in the backcourt and they have alot of forwards.

With Mcdyess off the books they could start, Zarko at sf, with kobe, Barbosa in the backcourt , Amare and a center up front. Kobe ends up to be a much better fit because of his passing skills, he can also take over point at times. Hes arguably the best clutch performer.

I think the suns would do it, but will LA agree to it?

see the other thing is, that 7 mill cap space might not be enough to lure kobe. If they want him bad enough they might be forced into giving up a key player, like marion.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
If clearing Marion's contract is the only thing that might prevent Kobe from coming to PHX, you better believe they'll entertain offers for Marion. They won't be able to afford Kobe, Matrix, and Amare (when he is maxed out).

If Kobe is a Sun, Marion will likely not be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts