Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've obviously made a lot of headway this offseason in regards to our bench. We nabbed Jamison, resigned Hill, and most importantly, kept Steve Blake's punkass out of the starting lineup. Do you guys think that our bench is still a primary weakness? A minor weakness? Possibly even a strength?

Discuss

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll start off my response by saying that I've loved every move that the front office has done this summer. I don't remmeber the last time I was this pleased with our managment. I think that our bench is better than it has been in years, which probably puts it in the middle of the pack league wide. I think that a guy like Jodie Meeks who could spot Kobe and knock down 3's consistently is the one thing that we are lacking that would really take our bench to the next level.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
We are set up front but Steve Blake is garbage and we could use a better backup 2. A guy like Delonte who could play the 1 and 2 spots would have been huge.

Mitch said it is unlikely we spend the mmle. That could make a big impact on who we get.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Well, Matt Barnes just got arrested for threatening a police officer. I'm pretty sure he won't be back, which is great. Jodie Meeks or someone similar would be good for reducing Kobe's minutes. I don't think Ebanks or Morris will have anything to contribute but I hope they prove me wrong. Goudelock might average 5-8ppg - I heard he has been working on his game.

It's an improvement from last year but they need another 40%-3pt shooter, in my opinion. Artest is what he is - a terrible shooter and general offensive liability - and I don't think Nash is going to change that. (Sidenote, I still feel weird typing out Nash).

Definately the most excited I've been for the team in a long time.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
Barnes was pretty good for us last year until he got hurt - it's just too bad we couldnt find a guy like Gerald Green for cheap...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Barnes was pretty good for us last year until he got hurt - it's just too bad we couldnt find a guy like Gerald Green for cheap...
This is just speculation - I have no evidence to back it up - but I think Barnes was toxic to the team's culture. Combine that with Artest's presence and I think you have something potentially damaging to team synergy. Too many 'bad boys'.

·
Snapping Necks and Cashing Checks
12,586 Posts
Sam Amick
Regarding Matt Barnes' arrest Monday night, his agent, Aaron Goodwin, issued this statement to SI.com claiming there was a personal component to the arrest by Manhattan Beach police officer Steve Tobias. Tobias reportedly arrested the former Lakers forward and free agent because he had a warrant out for driving on a suspended license and also asserts that Barnes threatened him. Barnes has made a few public comments of his own on his Twitter page (@Matt_Barnes22) Barnes was out on bail shortly after the arrest was made. Here's the AP report on the arrest - http://sportsillustrat...

Goodwin: "During the playoffs, (Barnes) got pulled over by this guy (in mid-May). And when he got pulled over, (Barnes) had a failure to appear (in court citation relating to, Barnes said on his Twitter page, a traffic violation). The guy told him to park the car and walk home. So he and the guy had words, as (Barnes) said, ‘Hey that’s unnecessary. I could have my fiance drive.’ And (Tobias) said, ‘No, you were driving, so walk home.’ He already had an attitude with him. So last night, (Tobias) saw them drive by on their way to this restaurant and called to check and see if he still had a warrant. When he realized that he did, he parked and waited two hours for him to come out.
"Now first of all, there’s got to be something wrong with a police officer who should be out patrolling parking and waiting for this guy to come out. When he came out, he walked up to him and told him ‘You’re under arrest for a failure to appear.’ Matt obviously had words with (Tobias), and that’s where the whole other part came in. But the fact that the officer parked and waited two hours for him to come out, and (Barnes) is not driving - he’s walking - shows you that it’s personal.
"This is a situation where the police officer had it in for Matt, found something he could get on him, and waited until he had an opportunity to get at him. The circumstances around it were unfair. It’s more personal than anything else."

A message left with the Manhattan Beach Police Department's media contact not immediately returned. As for where Barnes might play next season, he's still letting the market play out and it's not clear at this time where he'll be signing.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
This is just speculation - I have no evidence to back it up - but I think Barnes was toxic to the team's culture. Combine that with Artest's presence and I think you have something potentially damaging to team synergy. Too many 'bad boys'.
This whole site is speculation so don't sweat it.

I think Barnes was fantastic. I doubt we could find anyone better for the price. They had Green in the DL and wouldn't bring him up. They also have Gelabale down there a season ago. Someone who defends the perimeter and hits 3's

Just sayin'

·
Registered
354 Posts
Agreed, Barnes was great for us last season. I don't think so...ideally I would like someone that can handle and get in the lane or a knock down shooter on the wing. Kind of hopping Ebank will step up

Sent from my iPhone using VS Free

·
do better
41,522 Posts
It's not a weakness but it's not a strength until either eBanks takes a step up or you get a relatively complete, athletic, intelligent wing who can score in some manner.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Apparently we're interested in Barbosa. That could be a nice pick up.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
How many roster spots are left? 1?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts