Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
I really, really don't think it should be. Who knows, though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'll say no. He deserves another shot with this group. Expectations will be much higher next year though, I don't see him lasting a third season if they can't win the title in 2016.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
What, did the Cavs underachieve or something? This rhetoric of Blatt being fired is odd to me.

Unless LeBron James demands it, I don't see why they would fire him.

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think he should be fired. I know this is LeBron's team but you can't fire a coach after his first season and him going to the finals. Plus he didn't have much to work with. He should get another shot.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
UNPOPULAR OPINION: I think he just outcoached Steve Kerr in that series. He just didn't have the horses.

I was pretty impressed with his ability to adjust his gameplan on the fly throughout these playoffs. I think it would be a bad idea to get rid of him right now. That being said, what they should do and what they will do might just be two different things.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
I don't see any basis for firing him. Cleveland was severely outgunned once both Love and Irving went down. Winning two games was actually a good showing, IMO.

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts
It's an odd question. He took that team as far as it would go with the injuries it sustained. They probably win the series with a healthy Irving, much less a healthy Love.

Plus James looked to be connecting with Blatt during the series, big time. No way James demands a new coach, and no way he gets fired.

This team, healthy, probably wins it all next season. Would love to see a rematch between same two teams, and hopefully healthy.

·
Player
7,852 Posts
Not an era in any sense of the word, but Blatt is a good coach, one of the best I've seen. Only questionable thing was no Mozgov game5, but he got what he could from these players.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
This team, healthy, probably wins it all next season. Would love to see a rematch between same two teams, and hopefully healthy.
If we're talking about everyone coming in fully healthy, I would love to see these Cavs against the Thunder.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
I think he did about as well as could be expected given the injuries they sustained plus who would you bring in to replace him? Is there someone out there who is an obvious candidate?

·
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine
8,475 Posts
Simple question. Yes or no?
Is this a serious question? No.

I don't think he should be fired. I know this is LeBron's team but you can't fire a coach after his first season and him going to the finals. Plus he didn't have much to work with. He should get another shot.
Seriously, Basel, I'm confused. Where is this all coming from? Why would they fired their head coach because he couldn't lead a team that lost two of their star players to injury to a title in one season?

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
UNPOPULAR OPINION: I think he just outcoached Steve Kerr in that series. He just didn't have the horses.

I was pretty impressed with his ability to adjust his gameplan on the fly throughout these playoffs. I think it would be a bad idea to get rid of him right now. That being said, what they should do and what they will do might just be two different things.
You think he out coached Kerr?

I watched the whole series and I'm not seeing these adjustments you're saying he made. He put Delly on Curry and that was about it. Once the Warriors went small ball he had no answer for it. I think the finals showed he's a pretty bad coach in general.

·
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine
8,475 Posts

I watched the whole series and I'm not seeing these adjustments you're saying he made. He put Delly on Curry and that was about it. Once the Warriors went small ball he had no answer for it. I think the finals showed he's a pretty bad coach in general.
He put LeBron at center at one point while having Delly, Shumpert, Smith and Jones out there as well and it actually worked out pretty well as a response unit to Kerr's small ball line up. I don't know why he didn't continue with it through out the series.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts

Look at the style that team was playing with Love and Irving healthy and compare that to how they played in the incredibly competitive finals. Their offense completely changed. He went completely away from the ball movement, spread/read, cutting and replacing, back-screening style that had been very successful for them over the second half of the season. He knew that style would lead to way too many turnovers - especially after Kyrie went down - so he steadfastly stuck with iso ball. That gave them the best chance to utilize their offensive rebounding advantage to its fullest potential while limiting the Warriors' fastbreak chances. Some people might say that's really easy to do when you have Lebron James on your team... but that's also exactly what got Mike Brown fired in Cleveland.

Then, look at their defense. They played different styles within quarters based on personnel groupings. Look at the times that in the same possession they would blitz one ball-screen with Curry up top and then zone up another screen for Klay on the weakside. They took advantage of Mozgov/Thompson's strengths while minimizing JR/James Jones' weaknesses (with some obvious exceptions that you could point to in the 3rd quarter of Game 6 and the 4th quarter of Game 5). Blatt identified many issues his team was having (like Curry destroying Tristan on switches) and adjusted (by having Tristan shadow towards the middle of the floor with a second defender shading baseline) accordingly. I was very impressed by decisions he was making both in-game and between games. This guy can really coach.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts