Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KOBE!!!!

this thought just happened to pop into my head today...say the whole phil jackson thing with LAL falls through, and then later this off season the Lakers begin to actually contemplating that they made a mistake with picking Kobe over Shaq and THEN start to consider trading the young superstar.....WOULD YOU WANT KOBE?!?!?!.....quite honestly i cant even answer that question, too many emtions and way too hard to imagine...hahaha.....

just thought i'd throw it out there for discussion

only problem is that Telfair would be demanded from the Lakers, but if Telfair was left out of it I might start to atleast ponder it

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Look how good LA is with Kobe as their front man....

I wouldn't touch that offer, enless.....No NM I wouldn't want Kobe "The Dynasty Slayer" Bryant with a 10,000,000 foot pole.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Schilly said:
Look how good LA is with Kobe as their front man....

I wouldn't touch that offer, enless.....No NM I wouldn't want Kobe "The Dynasty Slayer" Bryant with a 10,000,000 foot pole.

I wouldn't mind if our 7 foot pole took him down a notch or 2...

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
No.

Word is Kobe is the one calling all the shots down there in La-La land, and you can see where that's getting them. He can't leave coaching to the coaches. I want that kind of thing as far away from the Blazers as possible (So Cal is a good start).

And that doesn't even begin to touch on the PR firestorm such a move would ignite.

PBF

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Kobe's an excellent player. I can't see Portland acquiring him, but if he were available I'd definitely be interested.

The acquisition price is critical. I would be willing to move Telfair to get him, but only if we got to keep our pick this year (since we'd be in a good position to take a replacement at the 1 spot from a deep PG class).

I don't know what the Blazers could offer that both the Lakers and I would find palatable.

Ed O.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Kobe is probably Portlands most hated player, and I dont ever picture him with all of his glitz and glamor coming to a small city market like Portland....

·
Registered
460 Posts
Kobe's a hell of a talent, but he's all about Kobe. If he were traded to Portland, it would be the straw that broke the camel's back for this fan. :nonono:

Go Blazers

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Ed O said:
..... The acquisition price is critical. I would be willing to move Telfair to get him, but only if we got to keep our pick this year (since we'd be in a good position to take a replacement at the 1 spot from a deep PG class).

I don't know what the Blazers could offer that both the Lakers and I would find palatable.

Ed O.

How about keeping Telfair, and giving them Randolph, Miles and DA?

Randolph and up and coming PF, Miles the evervescant athletic talent and DA... well ok.. :D

But no Telfair, Outlaw or Khryapa ..... oh and we resign Rahim :D

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
kobi? yuck he can stay in bling bling land

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Trader Bob said:
How about keeping Telfair, and giving them Randolph, Miles and DA?

Randolph and up and coming PF, Miles the evervescant athletic talent and DA... well ok.. :D

But no Telfair, Outlaw or Khryapa ..... oh and we resign Rahim :D

then we can trade kobi to the magic, hawks or bobcats! :D

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Hell no. Kobe is one of my most least-liked athletes of all-time. Not to mention he makes his teammates worse.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I'll pass..

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
If it didn't require giving Telfair, Outlaw, Khryapa, or Przybilla to the Lakers - I say "yeah" do it.

Otherwise, pass.

It would have to be a cold, cold, cold day in hell for Buss to trade Kobe for our garbage.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
You guys would all be taking back your words the first time Kobe dropped 40 points on the other team for the win for your team, if he got traded to you. Ok, Kobe can't lead a team by himself, and despite him being a distraction, he is a huge talent. I'd say he's probably the second most talented player in the league after LeBron (I didn't say best).

Anyway, the only trade that the Lakers would agree to would involve a combination of Telfair, Randolph and draft picks. He is a superstar guys.

Assuming Telfair, Randolph, and this years draft pick is traded and Shareef resigns, here is your lineup:

PG- Resign Damon to a decent deal
SG- Kobe
SF- Miles
PF- Shareef
C- Pryzbilla or Ratliff

Bench:
Patterson
Ratliff or Pryzbilla
Outlaw
FA PG
Khrapya

That looks like a really solid team. Probably about the 4th seed in the west.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
PetroToZoran said:
You guys would all be taking back your words the first time Kobe dropped 40 points on the other team for the win for your team, if he got traded to you. Ok, Kobe can't lead a team by himself, and despite him being a distraction, he is a huge talent. I'd say he's probably the second most talented player in the league after LeBron (I didn't say best).

Anyway, the only trade that the Lakers would agree to would involve a combination of Telfair, Randolph and draft picks. He is a superstar guys.

Assuming Telfair, Randolph, and this years draft pick is traded and Shareef resigns, here is your lineup:

SG- Kobe
SF- Miles
PF- Shareef
C- Pryzbilla or Ratliff

Bench:
Patterson
Ratliff or Pryzbilla
Outlaw
FA PG
Khrapya

yuck no thank you I would stop following the blazers if we got kobi, shaq would have been ok but kobi no thanks.

they are called the LA Kobis for a reason.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
PetroToZoran said:

SG- Kobe
SF- Miles
PF- Shareef
C- Pryzbilla or Ratliff

Bench:
Patterson
Ratliff or Pryzbilla
Outlaw
FA PG
Khrapya

Oh HELL no.. So we'd have Kobe, AND Mouse at PG? NO WAY!

Yeah, Kobe might drop 40 here and there and win a few games, but we wouldn't be going anywhere with him. As far as Kobe being the the 2nd most talented player in the league, I'd have to disagree. I know I'd list about 3-4 more before him.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I'm of the "buy low, sell high" persuasion. Kobe's stock is about as low as any top 5 NBA player is going to get.

I like Telfair, but if he were the cornerstone for a big trade I'd probably do it. A deal of Telfair, Randolph and change would sway me, and is more talent than LA got for Shaq. I'm not inclined to give up our pick. maybe the pick OR Telfair, but not both.

I HATE the idea of re-signing Damon. if we do that, I may actually have to adopt the Rockets as my favorite team from now on. he wouldn't really fit in with Kobe and Outlaw anyway.

I like this lineup:
PG: ____?
SG: Bryant/Outlaw
SF: Miles/Outlaw/Khryapa
PF: Rahim/Ratliff
C: Przybilla/Ratliff

draft a PG, and pick up a veteran (non-Damon) PG for the MLE.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
The Blazers have been disappointing this year, but a lot is due to injuries. The only teams that could be considered more disappointing in terms of the relationship between expectations and reality are the Timberwolves and Lakers. Timberwolves is a complex situation, but the Lakers problems can be summed up in 2 words: Kobe Bryant.
Of course he is talented. So what? That does not make a good player in a team sport.
Some people here have worred that talented free agents and quality coaches may not want to come to Portland. Compare the two. Portland: a young team with a generous owner, quality players, some but not terrible locker room issues, looking to make a move. Lakers: Kobe Bryant, who pushed out Phil Jackson, pushed out Shaquille O'Neal, whose teammates say he's the real GM and don't mean it as a compliment.
If Bryant can chase O'Neal out of LA, when there were a lot of reasons for him to stay, what on earth troubles would he cause in Portland?
And as others have said that is not even taking into consideration his off court doings.
He's talented? Yeah, so are Rider and Kemp.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
crandc said:
Of course he is talented. So what? That does not make a good player in a team sport.
That's true. But irrelevant. He IS a good player in a team sport... you don't have to look at his talent because he's got results and production on his side. He's a very good player who's won a lot of games, and a lot of BIG games. Shaq certainly helped him win titles, but it's not like Kobe was just along for the ride.

Some people here have worred that talented free agents and quality coaches may not want to come to Portland. Compare the two. Portland: a young team with a generous owner, quality players, some but not terrible locker room issues, looking to make a move. Lakers: Kobe Bryant, who pushed out Phil Jackson, pushed out Shaquille O'Neal, whose teammates say he's the real GM and don't mean it as a compliment.
Chucky Atkins, perhaps the worst starter in the whole of the NBA, is the only teammate I've seen make that comment (although I might have missed more saying it).

The Lakers are in transition, but they're still way ahead of Portland as a destination spot for FAs and coaches and part of that is Kobe Bryant, IMO.

He's talented? Yeah, so are Rider and Kemp.
Rider and Kemp WERE talented. Not "are".

A couple HUGE differences there beyond that, though:

-- Kobe was more successful than Rider ever was and was probably more successful than Kemp, too, at a similar age (each played with a future HoFer, but Shaq was in a different league than Payton and it's hard to know how much to discount the performance of each based on their teammates).

-- Kemp and Rider each had off-court issues that severely impacted their ability to play and produce. Kobe's had one major issue and a series of smaller ones, but he's been able to play through them without hurting his team (say what you want about him last year, but the Lakers still made it to the Finals).

If people don't like Kobe, I can understand it. What I fail to understand, though, is how people can assert with a straight face that he's not an excellent player.

Ed O.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts