Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhere / Someway / Somehow I can contact Danny Ainge or Obie or somebody and knock some sense into then and tell him / them what I think about the Celtics right about now. Because this BS of Waltah playing so much and the young guys sitting and getting killed on the boards and just beating pretty bad teams that are missing players is getting ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I agree Richie, I want to start a petition or something, and send it to Danny! He was my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE basketball player when I was a kid, but if he lets this go on much longer I'm gonna have no faith in him as a GM.:sigh:

·
Registered
141 Posts

Well, Ainge signed McCarty at the end of the season. He has some blame also. But, i see your point. I'm tired of PF's shooting threes and not getting the job done down low. That's why the departure of Antoine did not affect me.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: ...

Originally posted by <b>el_raulin</b>!
Well, Ainge signed McCarty at the end of the season. He has some blame also. But, i see your point. I'm tired of PF's shooting threes and not getting the job done down low. That's why the departure of Antoine did not affect me.

Exactly, as much as the departure of 'Toine hurt me as a fan, I thought we were going away from that type of team? I thought that kinda offense wuzn't wut we wanted anymore? Danny, we need answers? Why is Walter in there so much and why is he doing what our PF shouldn't be doing?

·
Premium Member
8,261 Posts
Re: Re: ...

Originally posted by <b>Richie Rich</b>!
Exactly, as much as the departure of 'Toine hurt me as a fan, I thought we were going away from that type of team? I thought that kinda offense wuzn't wut we wanted anymore? Danny, we need answers? Why is Walter in there so much and why is he doing what our PF shouldn't be doing?
Danny isn't the coach. He signed Waltah for defense at the SG and SF positions. He wasn't signing a PF. Its O'Brien's problem. We need someone who will put rebounders out there. Defensively, the Celtics are 7th in FG%, but 20th in points per game. The reason for that is that we're fourth to last in offensive boards allowed and last in offensive boards.

Once the rebounding starts and we aren't taking the ball out after a second/third/fourth chance basket every time, then the running can start. Remember, you can't run if you don't have the ball. Additionally, you can't run if your shooting guard is needed to rebound because your "big men" can't do it.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Can someone get Ainges adress or something? He needs to hear it from the fans!
WE ARE NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Danny Ainge does not care what anyone here has to say.
He still doesn't understand why he was booed back on Cedrick Maxwell night.

Jim O'Brien is doing the best he can with the stiffs he has on this team.
We are back to the run and gun 3 because when we ran Pierce didn't besides that do you really think that kind of offense would have made a difference with this team?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Re: Re: ...

Originally posted by <b>agoo101284</b>!

Danny isn't the coach. He signed Waltah for defense at the SG and SF positions. He wasn't signing a PF. Its O'Brien's problem. We need someone who will put rebounders out there. Defensively, the Celtics are 7th in FG%, but 20th in points per game. The reason for that is that we're fourth to last in offensive boards allowed and last in offensive boards.

Once the rebounding starts and we aren't taking the ball out after a second/third/fourth chance basket every time, then the running can start. Remember, you can't run if you don't have the ball. Additionally, you can't run if your shooting guard is needed to rebound because your "big men" can't do it.

I agree with u I wuz just pointing out the fact that QWalter needs to be a bench player who comes in and plays a small role and we need to play the guys who can REBOUND at PF. Obviously AInge sees the games, he needs to tell Obie to start playing guys that WILL rebound and WILL start the break.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by <b>lastlaugh</b>!

We are back to the run and gun 3 because when we ran Pierce didn't besides that do you really think that kind of offense would have made a difference with this team?

If we have a line-up of Davis, Banks, Pierce, Hunter or Mihm or Blount I think we would be a pretty good running team. Then have Mihm / Blount / Hunter (whoever isn't starting) as the 1st big man off the bench so we can still have rebounding and Jiri as the first guard off the bench. That's a 7 man rotation, then you play James @ PG when Banks needs a rest and you put Walter in for 10 minz a game MAX, or maybe not at all, and there's 9 guys. If we need to play more than that we have some guys that can play spot minutes.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts

I would agree with you if it weren't for the fact that they were playing very well during their five game winning streak right before the trade with the Cavs. It was actually fun basketball to watch and the team was functioning as a unit both on offense and defense. They had Williams and Battie then. What makes it hard to believe they can't achieve the same thing with Davis and Mihm? I don't think OB is doing the best he can with the players he has. McCarty playing 46 minutes is NOT the best he can do. McCarty wasn't playing near that amount when they were winning. The lack of a running game isn't just Pierce's fault. The whole team has to run. Otherwise, it's not an advantage if there are more defenders back than players running. Nobody is running the break well, and the opportunities are few because of poor rebounding. Whenever Tommy says "Look up, look up!", I look up and there's nobody open ahead of the guy with the ball. If the guy made the pass, it would easily be picked off. I think Pierce doesn't run because he never expects to get the ball that way, and therefore, wastes energy. He's not incapable of running. I've seen him do it with success. I just don't think he trusts his teammates enough to make the right play. Plus, he's often rebounding to make up for the deficiencies of the big men. Also, James and Banks are not great passers on the break. Banks can run, but he has a hard time deciding what to do with the ball if anyone gets in his way that he can't get past. I do think it would be advantageous for Pierce to run anyway, even if he doesn't get the ball, just to act as a decoy so someone else can get open.

As long as McCarty is playing significant minutes, the fast break is a dream. He can't rebound to start the break. He can't stop people from getting to the hole, so there's no rebound to grab. He can't dribble or pass. He could run, but I almost never see him do it. I think our best running team would be Banks, Pierce, Welsch, Mihm, and Blount, and then substitute Davis for Pierce or Welsch at times. 35+ minutes a game for McCarty just doesn't allow that to happen much. And that's sad, because I saw good basketball before the trade.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
why doesn't OB just play Waltah at the 3...so the 2 and 3's are PP, Davis, Welsch, Waltah with some Waltah at the 4. this way Mihm and Perkins can get some more playing time. so

1 - James/Banks/Welsch
2 - Pierce/Davis
3 - Welsch/Waltah
4 - Mihm/Waltah
5 - Blount/Perkins

or Mihm can play center and perkins the 4 but Mihm starts...

·
Premium Member
8,261 Posts
Originally posted by <b>FanOfAll8472</b>!
why doesn't OB just play Waltah at the 3...so the 2 and 3's are PP, Davis, Welsch, Waltah with some Waltah at the 4. this way Mihm and Perkins can get some more playing time. so

1 - James/Banks/Welsch
2 - Pierce/Davis
3 - Welsch/Waltah
4 - Mihm/Waltah
5 - Blount/Perkins

or Mihm can play center and perkins the 4 but Mihm starts...
We have that Hunter guy too.

1 - Banks, James, Welsch (if needed)
2 - Pierce, Davis, Welsch
3 - Welsch, Davis, Waltah
4 - Perkins, Hunter
5 - Mihm, Blount

If we're going to play young guys, lets play all the young guys and let them start. No need to suggest giving them limited bench minutes, or none at all in the case of Hunter.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd rather see Walter play ten a game and have Ricky and Jiri take on those additional minutes. The I would start Hunter to see what he can do when given more than garbage time and go from there, even give Perkins some time, hey, it can't hurt @ this point.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I say if you are going to start Walter at the PF then why not start Ricky there? The guy is smaller than Walter but shows a propensity to hustle like no one else on the team. I have also seen him box people out. Crazy concept I know. Get somoeone on your back so if they want the rebound they have to foul you to get it. This would also creat some crazy match up problems on the other end of the floor. No way a PF could stay with Jiri, PP, or Ricky. On the defensive side how many teams have a center/PF combo that really concerns you for posting up Davis or PP?
Nets.. Collins/ K-Mart.. would hurt us.
Philly... Coleman/Thomas/Delembert.. not too worried there
Indiana.... O'Neal/Foster.. those guys always kill us anyway why not try something new
Detroit... Wallace/Okur.. Wallace is no offense threat and Okur is mostly perimeter
Hornets... kill us no matter what on inside defensively.. but I would like to see PJ cover one of our smalls
Bucks... no worries

I say try this lineup only if you dont give some of the young bigs a chance. Thoughts?

·
Registered
348 Posts

Firstly ainge is very concerned with pr.. I am sure the celtics have guys monitoring public opinon.. Any business has to be sensitive to the fans desires.

there will come a time if this boring offense continues to struggle that changes will have to be made. the grousbeks are succesful businessmen and want a product that is pleasing, so the team needs to go deep in the playoffs this year and get close to .600 or coaching changes will be mandated...

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by <b>voice of reality</b>!

Firstly ainge is very concerned with pr.. I am sure the celtics have guys monitoring public opinon.. Any business has to be sensitive to the fans desires.

there will come a time if this boring offense continues to struggle that changes will have to be made. the grousbeks are succesful businessmen and want a product that is pleasing, so the team needs to go deep in the playoffs this year and get close to .600 or coaching changes will be mandated...

Good poinT. And oT; I Liek your sig.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Danny Ainge does not care what anyone thinks. It has been said many times on TV here in Boston that this year doesn't matter (according to Danny Ainge insiders) He has never cared about this year and he never will care what the fans think. The owners will care before Ainge does. He gets his money no matter how he does while he is here and there is always some idiot out there who will hire him again. Isiah Thomas ruined the CBA into the ground, killed the Raptors and messed up the Pacers big time and he found a new job.

Originally posted by <b>voice of reality</b>!

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rowdyness</b>!
I say if you are going to start Walter at the PF then why not start Ricky there? The guy is smaller than Walter but shows a propensity to hustle like no one else on the team. I have also seen him box people out. Crazy concept I know. Get somoeone on your back so if they want the rebound they have to foul you to get it. This would also creat some crazy match up problems on the other end of the floor. No way a PF could stay with Jiri, PP, or Ricky. On the defensive side how many teams have a center/PF combo that really concerns you for posting up Davis or PP?
Nets.. Collins/ K-Mart.. would hurt us.
Philly... Coleman/Thomas/Delembert.. not too worried there
Indiana.... O'Neal/Foster.. those guys always kill us anyway why not try something new
Detroit... Wallace/Okur.. Wallace is no offense threat and Okur is mostly perimeter
Hornets... kill us no matter what on inside defensively.. but I would like to see PJ cover one of our smalls
Bucks... no worries

I say try this lineup only if you dont give some of the young bigs a chance. Thoughts?
Perkins/Hunter need the experience more..Ricky can cope with being the 5.5 man off the bench for the rest of the season on the bases of no injuries.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts