Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I was just looking at highest paid male vs female athletes. As everyone would expect, female tennis players dominate the rankings, making up 9/10 highest paid athletes led by Osaka and Serena Williams. Where as the men's top ten is much more diverse (Tiger, Roger Federer, Carson Wentz and Kirk Cousins (?? a bit out of left field--I thought Russell Wilson was highest paid), 3 soccer players and KD, Steph and Lebron).

I only bring this up because it corroborates that global sports fans don't see basketball as a "feminine" sport that they want to watch, unlike tennis, skiing or even soccer. It's nice to hear that there are a few exceptions to this like Turkey and Russia, but the overall the pay differential between what male and female basketball earn is probably one of the highest across all sports.

The sad reality is the focus of women's sports remains femininity and not the sport itself. Eg, Julie Ertz and Alex Morgan from the USWNT absolutely dwarf Megan Rapinoe's earnings ($4-$5M vs $400k for Rapinoe). Why? Well, to say the quiet part out loud Julie Ertz and Morgan are stunningly beautiful, feminine athletes adored by men and girls alike with massive endorsement potential, whereas Rapinoe is thought of as a butch lesbian with limited commercial marketability--the same conundrum many female basketball players find themselves in.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I know at UNH their not going to expand past the 13 scholarships they use every year they just can't afford that but they will if Josh and Sean want to come back for another year bring them back and no need to recruit for the 2021 class as we would have everyone back plus Taylor and Qon would be eligible to play. UNH technically would have one scholarship it could use as they gave one up this year due to the financial hardships the university is facing. It will be interesting do players see the benefit of getting a masters degree or at least a start on a masters degree by coming back for another year or would they like to begin their adult life.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts