Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only real difference between losing streak then and winning streak now is that Frank moved Planinic and Murray into the rotation, and took away minutes from Wright and Padgett. The bench offense sure works a lot better now than it did before...and the defense isn't that bad either. I liked the Kidd and Planinic backcourt last night with Kidd playing the off guard. I think that has some potential not just for this season but for next as well. If the Nets have confidence in Planinic and he plays with consistency as he has the last six games, it's a big up for the franchise.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I don't think it is Zoran for Wright...so much as the mix. I am very happy that Zoran is doing well I sure hope he keeps it up. Comment about Yao that I heard this morning applies to Zoran and Krstic too. Yao was looked at as a bust early on, but as he is able to understand the NBA game and adapt his talents to it he has become the dominate center in the WC, and maybe the NBA. I don't think Zoran or Krstic has much potential as Yao but I do think SOME people way understimate their potential. Zoran obviously took more time or had higher expectations then Krstic but you have to let them grow.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ThatNetGuy said:
I don't think it is Zoran for Wright...so much as the mix. I am very happy that Zoran is doing well I sure hope he keeps it up. Comment about Yao that I heard this morning applies to Zoran and Krstic too. Yao was looked at as a bust early on, but as he is able to understand the NBA game and adapt his talents to it he has become the dominate center in the WC, and maybe the NBA. I don't think Zoran or Krstic has much potential as Yao but I do think SOME people way understimate their potential. Zoran obviously took more time or had higher expectations then Krstic but you have to let them grow.
Zoran was also hurt a big part of last year. By the time he got back, he was out of the rotation. I think he has a great deal of potential. As for Krstic, if he was on another, more mediocre team, he might be averaging 20 a game.

And I do think it's Zoran for Wright. Wright is too tenative on offensive, too unsure of what he should be doing, where he should be going. That was never Zoran's problem.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
NetIncome said:
Zoran was also hurt a big part of last year. By the time he got back, he was out of the rotation. I think he has a great deal of potential. As for Krstic, if he was on another, more mediocre team, he might be averaging 20 a game.

And I do think it's Zoran for Wright. Wright is too tenative on offensive, too unsure of what he should be doing, where he should be going. That was never Zoran's problem.
Zoran getting hurt slowed his development for sure. I agree they both have potential, but Yao's potential is pretty much top 5 in the league. Realistically Zoran is not close and Krstic while maybe top 5 center is not quite in that area as Yao. Nothing negative about either, just a realistic comparison.

Zoran offensively provides part of the mix that Wright doesn't. Vaughn and Wright turned out to be a bad mix. I still like Wright, I know you have fallen off the bandwagon, and Granger looks better at this point but give the kid a chance.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
When our bench produces like they did last night (26 points) we are a top 5 scoring team in the league. And unlike those other teams (seattle, phoenix etc) we play defence. Which makes us very tough to beat.

Considering the bench averaged 24/game during the 10-game winning streak...its no coincidence that the same thing is happening now. Frank had to create a spark by changing the rotation (meaning giving Zoran another chance who had already given up on the season) and i think its really paying off

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ThatNetGuy said:
Zoran getting hurt slowed his development for sure. I agree they both have potential, but Yao's potential is pretty much top 5 in the league. Realistically Zoran is not close and Krstic while maybe top 5 center is not quite in that area as Yao. Nothing negative about either, just a realistic comparison.

Zoran offensively provides part of the mix that Wright doesn't. Vaughn and Wright turned out to be a bad mix. I still like Wright, I know you have fallen off the bandwagon, and Granger looks better at this point but give the kid a chance.
I would never compare Zoran or Nenad's potential to Yao's. Yao's potential is off the charts. There is nothing to stop him from becoming Kareem. He has the same tools and is 3 inches taller. He is finally getting it. Krstic could become what Divac said of him: a combination of him and [the NBA version of ] Arvidas Sabonis. I dont know if he will ever reach that level, but it's possible.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I love Krstic's game, I think he is getting what he needs to do. Ironically he looks a lot like he did against the Heat last year in the playoffs. Except now someone is defending him or sometimes two people are. He will give Shaq fits in the playoffs if we meet the Heat. Like Vlade I think he has those smarts and an outside game that Shaq will just hate.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I think it's more Zoran and less Murray. Whether Zoran scores alot or not, he puts pressure on the opposing defense and gets the offense in motion.

Murray will hit his shots sometimes, or go cold sometimes. That's how shooters are. More importantly, he hasn't played consistently enough for us to judge him. If he gets consistent minutes for the rest of the season, then ok, we he should be consistent. But if his minutes go up and down with every game and he comes into the games at different times, you can't blame him for shooting 1-5.

·
Nets Fan
10,424 Posts
furnace said:
I think it's more Zoran and less Murray. Whether Zoran scores alot or not, he puts pressure on the opposing defense and gets the offense in motion.

Murray will hit his shots sometimes, or go cold sometimes. That's how shooters are. More importantly, he hasn't played consistently enough for us to judge him. If he gets consistent minutes for the rest of the season, then ok, we he should be consistent. But if his minutes go up and down with every game and he comes into the games at different times, you can't blame him for shooting 1-5.
Murray symbolizes our bench this year. Everything we thought he could do he hasnt been able to do and everything we thought he couldnt do he has done.

·
Registered
98 Posts
furnace said:

I agree with these points.

Zoran instead of Wright is a big improvement. It may depend a little bit on matchups, but Zoran offers a lot to the offense, while Wright is a serviceable 5th option. Wright is quite a bit better on D, as he stays with his man and so doesn't put as much pressure on his defensive teammates, but it is worth it to have Zoran's offensive energy in there. Wright is officially a 10th man for me right now. He did a good job at the end of the 1st half giving a foul in his 13 seconds of play. Other than that, he should work on his handle and his shot and come ready to contribute next year.

Murray was awesome last night. His shots made the difference between a tight game and an easy coast to victory. But he's not going to hit all of his shots. Obviously he's a better option than Padgett right now, and he's interesting defensively (depends on the matchup - Jamison a good match), but he's not a key cog the way I see ZP developing for the playoffs. 7-man rotation: 5+Cliff+ZP. A few minutes for Vaughn as well to spell Kidd.

·
Volleyball Coach
24,889 Posts
Obviously I want to give Zoran all the credit in the world, but I also have liked the combo of Murray and Zoran on the floor since preseason. They space the floor well together. A tall penetrator that can see over and pass out of double teams and a spot up shooter parked on the perimeter.

And in case any blowhards are wondering, I can find my post from a preseason game that discusses this. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
The best news about Zoran is if he can continue to handle point duties and deal with pressure bringing the ball up, then the Nets won't need to agressively look for a back up pg! He has shown great passing ability. His confidence would go off the charts if he knows going into next season he will be Kidd's primary back-up. Managment can also focus a great deal of their attention on PFs in the offseason.

·
Burned
18,770 Posts
cpawfan said:
Obviously I want to give Zoran all the credit in the world, but I also have liked the combo of Murray and Zoran on the floor since preseason. They space the floor well together. A tall penetrator that can see over and pass out of double teams and a spot up shooter parked on the perimeter.
This applies to all spot up shooters. That's why Zoran and Kidd is a great combination.

Vaughn penetrates, no one cares because he can't finish, he gets lost, and dribbles back out.

Zoran penetrates, the other team knows he can score the ball, and reacts. He's 6'8" with a PG handle and passing ability, so it's not hard for him to find an open man on the perimeter.

The thing that would make him absolutely unstoppable is if he regained confidence in his jumper. Eventually, the opponents will start playing way off him anticipating the drive and if he can stick that open J, he'll be impossible to guard.

There are almost no players in the NBA at his size that have his ball handling ability and court vision. He is also quick enough to scare defenders.

RJ worked his *** off to become a good shooter, he should help his fellow Festrunk Brother do the same.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cpawfan said:

And in case any blowhards are wondering, I can find my post from a preseason game that discusses this. :rolleyes:

So when will you dispose of the "Free Zoran" avatar...although it is a work of art?

·
Burned
18,770 Posts
cpawfan said:
Besides, I need to update the other part of my avatar since there is now another to add to it.
Causes of Overpopulation in America

1. Advances in the Treatment of Disease
2. Fertility Drugs
3. [STRIKE]Shawn Kemp[/STRIKE] cpawfan
4. Immigration

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
NetIncome said:
I would never compare Zoran or Nenad's potential to Yao's. Yao's potential is off the charts. There is nothing to stop him from becoming Kareem. He has the same tools and is 3 inches taller. He is finally getting it. Krstic could become what Divac said of him: a combination of him and [the NBA version of ] Arvidas Sabonis. I dont know if he will ever reach that level, but it's possible.
First off, Yao's potential isn't necessarily greater than Nenad's or Zoran's. Yao can put up the numbers, but he lacks the super-quickness that made Kareem and other greats so good. If he doesn't dominate the game in a winning fashion, then he's not as good.

Krstic's upside is as a 20-30/8-12 Center. How much he reaches of it, I'm not sure. But that isn't that far away from Yao. Further, I like his overall game. He could turn out to be better than Yao, on balance. He will likely be better than Divac or Sabonis before his career is over.

As to Zoran, the kid can be an all-star. He can score 15-30 a night in his sleep and fill the stat sheet. He's got the skills to be that good and is already, to some extent, in Europe. Just wait 'til it translates over here!

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
Grandmazter3 said:
Murray symbolizes our bench this year. Everything we thought he could do he hasnt been able to do and everything we thought he couldnt do he has done.
Very apt analogy!

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
cpawfan said:
I need to see more proof from Frank, like playoff games, that he is truely free.

Besides, I need to update the other part of my avatar since there is now another to add to it.
How about a letter from L that Z is truly free?

I was afraid your avatar would lead to a trade rather than PT. Thankfully, he's been utilized more.

Who else are you going to add to your avatar? Scott Padgett? Bostjan Nachbar?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.