Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Isiah Thomas really coaching material? He made some of the most boneheaded calls this season that I have ever seen a coach do - and it was his 2nd year there!

One that sticks out in my mind, is when his team is on the fast break, no defenders in front of Tinsley and Reggie - 2 with the trailer coming - on NONE (like 3 on nobody!!!) - and Isiah calls a time out right as they reach mid court! I thought Reggie was going to faint when that happened! :rolleyes:

He has so much talent on that team and for them to get the 8th seed again and to go out in the first round - again - still amazes me! Some coaches in this league would go nuts with absolute JOY with the roster Isiah has!!

Some great players just cannot coach.....we all remember how exasperated Magic got coaching the Lakers.....maybe Thomas is the same way.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Give him some time, 2 years isn't much experience. Getting to the playoffs with a team that is really young is a pretty good accomplishment for his second year.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
raptors32 said:
Give him some time, 2 years isn't much experience. Getting to the playoffs with a team that is really young is a pretty good accomplishment for his second year.
I don't know - as that was one really stupid call to make for a 2nd year coach - let alone a PG of his stature. I have strong reservations about Thomas being a coach.

Some great players are better at running a franchise -or selecting talent, than at coaching. Jerry West is exactly that way! he was not a good coach, but a superb GM.

Hey! It happens to the best of them and Magic Johnson & Jerry West are amongst the "best of them".

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Pacers have a roster that is LOADED - it shocked me to see them struggle all season to make the playoffs. I watched several games that were lost because of some boneheaded decsions by Zeke. I know other announcers saw them too, as a couple times they "accidently" said as much.

The Pacers could run away with the east - IF they hire somebody like Rick Carlisle! :devil: That guy can coach!!

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
I am beginning to have my doubts. But i am willing to give him this year to see what he can do. He has a good blend of youth and veterans. Now ill give him untl trade deadline to make a true judgement of him

1 - 8 of 8 Posts