Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tim duncan has 3 nba championships and soon he will have more nba championships on his hands. he's today best power forward in the nba today. to me tim duncan is in a class with michael jordan, magic johnson, larry bird, bill russell, bob cousy, and all the other great nba hall of famers players that always win the championships. tim duncan isn't the most excited nba player you'll ever watch play but he gets the job done when it comes to helping his san antonio spurs team win nba championships. don't no power forward or other nba players come close to tim duncan superstar dominance.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
PauloCatarino said:
No it's not. :angel:

He is not CLEARLY better than Petitt or Malone, for example.

Heck, some people even say that Kevin Garnett is better...
At my age I never saw Petitt play and I don't like to compare players across era's
Malone has longevity
KG is a better talent, but not better basketball player

I don't end the comparison on the court. IMHO, to even be considered the greatest you have to lead your team to championships. This is due to the fact I find it hard to believe you are the GOAT at your position, but can't carry your team to a championship.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
its hard to say he's not. leading to 3 championships.
KG has better talent but Duncan is a better basketballer IMO

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
ralaw said:
At my age I never saw Petitt play and I don't like to compare players across era's
Sure, but when talking about the best _______ (insert position and sport here) of all time, one must consider all the other guys in history. I have never watched Pettit play, too, but he is widely consider one of the greatest ever.

Malone has longevity
Not only that, because his prime years were absurdely (sp?) great.

KG is a better talent, but not better basketball player
i don't care much about talent if it doesn't translate into basketball greatness.

I don't end the comparison on the court. IMHO, to even be considered the greatest you have to lead your team to championships. This is due to the fact I find it hard to believe you are the GOAT at your position, but can't carry your team to a championship.
I agree. With few exceptions, all the great players have been winners.

All this to say i don't think Duncan is the "clear-cut" best power forward ever.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
PauloCatarino said:
i don't care much about talent if it doesn't translate into basketball greatness..
By greatness do you mean championships? If so, I agree which is why I easily place Duncan ahead of KG.

PauloCatarino said:
All this to say i don't think Duncan is the "clear-cut" best power forward ever.

I don't think he is anymore the "clear-cut" best power forward than Jordan is the "clear-cut" best player, but I do think it is impossible to argue against Duncan not being the best.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
ralaw said:
but I do think it is impossible to argue against Duncan not being the best.
I beg to differ, here.

I can very well argue that Karl Malone was better (can't do the same for Pettit cause i never watched him play). If talking about peak years, i can also argue that McHale and Barkley were better.

My reasoning is simple: Duncan won't improve. He is as good as he will ever be (not that his level isn't good, because it's great). So, eventhought, IMHO, Tim Duncan won't be any better, he can very well be even greater, wich is different.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
PauloCatarino said:
I beg to differ, here.

I can very well argue that Karl Malone was better (can't do the same for Pettit cause i never watched him play). If talking about peak years, i can also argue that McHale and Barkley were better.

My reasoning is simple: Duncan won't improve. He is as good as he will ever be (not that his level isn't good, because it's great). So, eventhought, IMHO, Tim Duncan won't be any better, he can very well be even greater, wich is different.
I agree that Duncan won't get any better and Karl Malone and Charles Barkley had better peak statistical years, however, in doing so they never lead there teams to championships. While Duncan with similar career averages has lead his team to 3 as of this year. In McHale's case he suffers from the same thing Scottie Pippen suffers from, which is playing with the GOAT at another position belying their contribution.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
PauloCatarino said:
No it's not. :angel:

He is not CLEARLY better than Petitt or Malone, for example.

Heck, some people even say that Kevin Garnett is better...

No , Malone, petit and Kg are not better than tim. Obviously malone and Kg don't have any championships, and that's puts Timmy right above them.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Indystarza said:
malones era was ruined by jordan. duncan overcame laker-dynasty.
I feel sorry for all those great players (Ewing, Barkley, Miller, etc.) who played during Jordan's era.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Duncan is the greatest C/PF combo. there isnt anyone in the game in the history that has played both positions better than Duncan.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
DuMa said:
Duncan is the greatest C/PF combo. there isnt anyone in the game in the history that has played both positions better than Duncan.
Wilt did.

·
Kardashian Cursed
12,427 Posts
Duncan is the best powerforward of his era, but NOT the best of all time.

There just too many names out there to put him ahead. Barkley, Malone etc...
Tim duncan would probally NOT have won any championships durring the early and mid late 90's when jordans teams were dominating the leauge. Would that make him any less of a player? No it wouldnt. Its just sad when people judge "greatness" its always based on how many rings they have on their fingers.

Malone lost his ring to the 72 game bulls, and barkley lost his ring to the 2nd bulls championship team. Both wre VERY good and talented teams. Duncan would most likley not have gotten any of his 3 at the time. Overcoming the laker dynasty? That team was no dynasty...They just had shaq and kobe in their prime. What dynasty loses the chance for a 4th and gets blown up by the pistons the next year...

Dont say malone had his chance in 2003 or whatever year he left for the lakers because that team was nothing but a joke that failed.

Barkley and Malone at the end of their careers have produced far better numbers throughout their whole career and have had successful seasons for the majority of the time. Just when they had their chances, one special someone and team always had the upper hand in the 90's

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
the question for me is who would i rather have on my team. duncan already has enough longevity, consistency, and peak play. so it's about overall value. and i don't think anyone can match him for overall value. he's everything you could want in a pf. malone was a better shooter, and ran the floor much better. he was also better at creating his own offense. sometimes to a fault (duncan is forced to pass out of a double team, malone can get a shot off, but his efficiency falls when things collapse on him). barkley didn't have close to the impact duncan has on defense. and duncan's defense is considerably more impactful than malones. i don't think it's a no-brainer, and arguments can be made for others (malone's longevity and consistency was freakish), but overall, i'm taking duncan at the pf spot. of course, and argument can be made that his true peers are at the c position.

·
Have a GREAT day!
13,796 Posts
You can't say because Tim Duncan has a championship he is automatically better than any player that does not. Basketball is a team sport and a championship cannot rest on the shoulder of the teams greatest player, alone.

With that said Championships must be taken into consideration but they cannot be the sole factor.

With a mixture of Tim Duncan's Championships, MVPs, Finals MVPs, Allstar appearences, scoring, rebounding, blocks, and dominance over the PF position over his career, Duncan has to be considered as one of the greatest PF's of all time and makes a strong case for the greatest ever.

When all is said and done Tim Duncan will stand in a PF class by himself. He just does it quietly...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts