Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Tyson Struggling?

I thought he was. It certainly seems like he is. But many of us, including me thought he had a nice year, last season. I even thought he was justified in getting the money he got!

He shot, 49% and had 9.7 rebounds in 27 minutes. 8 pts a game. He averaged just over 5.2 shot attempts a game.

How is doing now? 53% shooting. 9.6 rebounds. 1.1 assists. Steals is down .60 and blocked shots is down from 1.76 to .57. His t/o is is slightly. From 1.48 a game to 2.00. Ft pct is down. But he does this every year to start the season. From .673 to .500. Average 6.0 pts a game with just slightly under 5 shot attempts a game.

So on giving Tyson a second look, he is doing almost the very same thing in a minute and a half more playing time than he did last year. Blocks, t/o and ft pct are not as good, but the season is early. If he takes 1 more shot a game and hits it? He is doing the same that he did last year.

I still think his strength is the pf position and thats why his blocked shots are down from last season. And with Curry gone, we need a little more scoring from him. But it seems to not be his fault. Scott is not running plays through him. Not on 5 shot attempts a game.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Re: Is Tyson Struggling?

I noticed that ZaZa Pachulia had 21/12 tonight against the Mavs. He also held Dampier to 0 points.

He has put some nice numbers up for the Hawks this year. The Hawks got him for peanuts. It's a good thing we locked Tyson in for $60 million. Furthermore, he only cost us Elton Brand who is an automatic double-double and a perennial all-star. Yes, I am a very bitter, bitter man.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

charlietyra said:
I noticed that ZaZa Pachulia had 21/12 tonight against the Mavs. He also held Dampier to 0 points.

He has put some nice numbers up for the Hawks this year. The Hawks got him for peanuts. It's a good thing we locked Tyson in for $60 million. Furthermore, he only cost us Elton Brand who is an automatic double-double and a perennial all-star. Yes, I am a very bitter, bitter man.
I know. He has played well for that team. My son and daughter-in-law are following the Hawks. They went to a few games last season. Anyway, I have been looking at the box scores myself and he has done a nice job. That's for sure.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts

I know this is an excuse, but I'll say it anyways. Tyson is coming off the well-publicized free agency. He is not in tip-top shape, nor did he carry any momentum from last season into the summer. I don't want to call this season a wash, but in the grand scheme of things this season is far more important from a development perspective (next season is where the plan is supposed to come together). Now that Tyson has his contract, he can commit to working out and honing his skills without worrying about injury.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts

Yes, he's struggling. I think that's pretty obvious.

I think the question is whether he gets better. We've still got 90% + of the season to go. You can't draw definitive conclusions except that he certainly needs to get better than he is right now.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts

One thing that I don't understand is that if we are getting our brains beat in like at GSW, why use all the garbage time to let guys like Pargo try and shoot us back into the game? Why not give Chandler a few touches in the post and see if he can do anything down there?

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts

Tyson is in a contract year and didn't work hard during the offseason as a result. He will spend the next few eeeks working hard getting back into game shape. Also, he is playing out of position, it was a lot easier for him to handle smaller players at the 4, now he is dealing with guys that are as tall or close to as tall as he is and generally a lot stronger than he is. Quite frankly, I am just praying he avoids injury.

·
Registered
140 Posts

Enough with the excuses. Last year when we had Eddy all we heard was Tyson is a natural center. He's playing out of position at pf. Now that he's at center, he's playing out of position. Which one is it? Let's just face the music. We're all Bulls fans and that's why Tyson gets so much love. If Tyson played for another team about 80% of the board would probably say he sucks. He can run and jump, but that requires no skill. The one thing that's really overlooked is Tyson's the same player the Bulls drafted 4 years ago. Its scary to think he may not get any better. You would think he would at least develope a go to move. Skiles can get the same 9.6 rebs plus 10-15pts from Thomas. If he ever played meaningful minutes. I think its about time this board holds Tyson up to the same standards that were placed on Curry. Can you imagine how many trade Eddy threads we'd have if he was still here?(and played the way Tyson has) I wonder what's gonna be the mood around here when a motivated Curry busts Tyson's a** when the Knicks come to town.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts

RipDirty said:
Enough with the excuses. Last year when we had Eddy all we heard was Tyson is a natural center. He's playing out of position at pf. Now that he's at center, he's playing out of position. Which one is it?
I would say that the people that said he was out of position at PF were wrong.

RipDirty said:
Skiles can get the same 9.6 rebs plus 10-15pts from Thomas.

TThomas giving 9.6 rebounds per game. That's a good one. The guy has never averaged 5 bounds per game in his career.

But why let hate get in the way of logic.

·
Sunlight in a distant sky
2,810 Posts

RipDirty said:
Enough with the excuses. Last year when we had Eddy all we heard was Tyson is a natural center. He's playing out of position at pf. Now that he's at center, he's playing out of position. Which one is it? Let's just face the music. We're all Bulls fans and that's why Tyson gets so much love. If Tyson played for another team about 80% of the board would probably say he sucks. He can run and jump, but that requires no skill. The one thing that's really overlooked is Tyson's the same player the Bulls drafted 4 years ago. Its scary to think he may not get any better. You would think he would at least develope a go to move. Skiles can get the same 9.6 rebs plus 10-15pts from Thomas. If he ever played meaningful minutes. I think its about time this board holds Tyson up to the same standards that were placed on Curry. Can you imagine how many trade Eddy threads we'd have if he was still here?(and played the way Tyson has) I wonder what's gonna be the mood around here when a motivated Curry busts Tyson's a** when the Knicks come to town.
Fair enough

Is Tyson really that more skilled or worth that much more money than what Dan Gadzuric gets paid , and on the next level down , what Chris Andersen gets paid ?

·
Registered
140 Posts

johnston797 said:
I would say that the people that said he was out of position at PF were wrong.

TThomas giving 9.6 rebounds per game. That's a good one. The guy has never averaged 5 bounds per game in his career.

But why let hate get in the way of logic.
I don't hate Tyson. I just know he's really over-rated on this board. So if Tyson can get us 5 more rebounds than Thomas,but Thomas can get us 10 more points than Tyson. I take points everytime. This game is really simple. The winner is the team that scores the most. Good offense will always beat good defense.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts

RipDirty said:
I don't hate Tyson. I just know he's really over-rated on this board. So if Tyson can get us 5 more rebounds than Thomas,but Thomas can get us 10 more points than Tyson. I take points everytime. This game is really simple. The winner is the team that scores the most. Good offense will always beat good defense.
Defense wins titles, Tim Thomas does not.

That being said, Chandler is being paid way too much. Hes not even getting 10 and 10, and even if he was, thats not deserving of his contract.

·
Registered
140 Posts

R-Star said:
Defense wins titles, Tim Thomas does not.

That being said, Chandler is being paid way too much. Hes not even getting 10 and 10, and even if he was, thats not deserving of his contract.
Don't get me wrong now. I don't like Tim Thomas, but he is the most talented player on the roster. I don't mean best player but most talented. I want to win. So give dude a chance or something. I'm tired of these close games. Tyson's just not good enough to be the man in the middle. He's a nice role player. His game is too limited.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts

RipDirty said:
Don't get me wrong now. I don't like Tim Thomas, but he is the most talented player on the roster. I don't mean best player but most talented. I want to win. So give dude a chance or something. I'm tired of these close games. Tyson's just not good enough to be the man in the middle. He's a nice role player. His game is too limited.
Thomas is not the kind of player to rely on. Hes proven that on 2 different teams so far.

·
Sunlight in a distant sky
2,810 Posts

I put the Portland loss on Tyson

The Nets loss too.

Two bonedheaded plays in the closing seconds that were so unnecessary if he had of had his head in the game

I mean . they are mistakes you expect of a rookie / 2nd year player ..but a guy that is a 5th year player that just got paid $60M

Please

·
Registered
140 Posts

R-Star said:
Thomas is not the kind of player to rely on. Hes proven that on 2 different teams so far.
I'm not saying rely on him. If it take Noce 20 shots to get 18pts, what in the hell is going on out there. I think Deng should get more shots. It might be long season for Ben. Nobody we play is respecting the post game. Without anybody to double team Ben and Kirk aren't getting the open looks.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts

RipDirty said:
I'm not saying rely on him. If it take Noce 20 shots to get 18pts, what in the hell is going on out there. I think Deng should get more shots. It might be long season for Ben. Nobody we play is respecting the post game. Without anybody to double team Ben and Kirk aren't getting the open looks.
I think there is any easy answer for this, Luol Deng posting up at the 3!!! w/ Songaila at power forward spreading the floor. And on top of that obviously play Sweetney more, and always have either Sweets or Deng out there posting up. Of course for this to work Songaila going to have to start hitting his shots.

We badly need Sweetney to break into the starting line up, which I think he will eventually but I agree with Skiles that he is not ready.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts