Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Isaiah Austin is a 7 foot, 200 pound freshman Center for Baylor. He has been measured with a 7'3" arm span and a 9'3" standing reach.

Draft Express Profile

He is classic upside young big man, but with the added dimension of a perimeter game. He is currently shooting 37% on threes, yet under 50% at the stripe. Some games he rebounds well and sometimes he is an effective shot blocker.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
He obviously needs to put on weight. He can't hold his position on defense but makes up for it with his crazy length, but it's obvious how he struggles against physically mature opponents. He looks like Bambi on ice at times trying to shuffle around the floor, but his skill level is very high. He's putting up good offensive numbers on a poorly coached team with a ball-hog point guard which is hard to do as a center.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Those 3P% vs FT% numbers are stupid. Is he the Bruce Bowen of centers?

·
Have a GREAT day!
13,796 Posts
He moves so great in the open court but can't hold his own in the paint. His shooting stroke is superb and has legit 3pt range. He's got a lot of Dirk Nowitzki in him, but needs to physically mature.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
He is really really skinny. He has the kind of body that is never going to fill out which is a major concern. I need to see his handle more, but to be like Dirk he needs to be able to beat guys off the dribble and he seems slow and not that great with the ball.

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts
Currently projected as a 2nd round pick, this kid never really lived up to what he could have been.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I have my doubts about him. He needs to add a lot of weight. Can't think of many guys with his frame that stuck in the league except Mikki Moore. And he still needs to polish that jumper.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
The guy is a interesting prospect it is almost like he is cursed with that 7ft height because if the guy was 6'6-6'9 with talent he would be a higher pick because he would be a SF not a Center

·
KVBL Champion
7,108 Posts
The guy is a interesting prospect it is almost like he is cursed with that 7ft height because if the guy was 6'6-6'9 with talent he would be a higher pick because he would be a SF not a Center
So, he's Bargnani V2??

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
So, he's Bargnani V2??
He's not as good of a shooter, but he's a much, much, much better interior defender that Bargnani.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
He's legally blind in one eye. He may be a fringe NBA guy, but come on, it's going to be hard to be partially blind and a good NBA player.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
He's legally blind in one eye. He may be a fringe NBA guy, but come on, it's going to be hard to be partially blind and a good NBA player.
Maybe he has extra special hearing in one ear, or can smell really well. Like the Daredevil of basketball.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Really sad to hear. Hopefully he has a successful, and a healthy as possible life away from the basketball court.

·
Premium Member
17,902 Posts
Hate to see something like this happen...I agree with the previous post.

Maybe he gets into coaching? I would think a talent like him would have something to offer young players.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
The thing is, people with this condition rarely live beyond 40. Even without basketball, you hope he can have a happy life the rest of the way, because this is a degenerative condition.

·
Banned
50 Posts
Sad news, would have been sadder if it would not of been caught and he died on court though.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
Finding out your basketball career is over and your life probably more than half over when you thought you were about to become a millionaire? Wow. Can't even begin to imagine what that would feel like.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts