Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today ISU fired Coach Wayne Morgan. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
After Quinn Snyder, Eddie Sutton and now Morgan, Jim Woolridge should receive a bonus of somekind for being the only Big 12 coach this season to leave his job without the word 'investigation' atttached to the story.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you think there are some that want Bill to be fired?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Oh, I'm sure there are "some"...but since it's not going to happen and everyone knows that, it'll just be the background grumbling/yapping that always goes on. Which can be noisy, believe me I know, but it's just squawking. I don't think one has to be a Self apologist to see that last year's team (the previous coach's seniors + Giddens) and this year (exceptionally young team) had underlying 'issues' that contributed to their respective flame-outs and that were at least somewhat beyond Bill's control. He has had a good track-record in the tourney prior to this. Everyone is (or at least says they are) coming back, which, to put a positive spin on it, Rush, Wright, none of those guys wants to end their career like that. I'm not saying the draft won't tempt 'em, but looking ahead, it's 06-07 that people will have serious expectations of a deep run in the NCAA's. If we're talking about a first-round or even first weekend exit this time next year, then yes, that kind of talk will spread beyond the 10-20% of sports fans who want the coach fired after every loss.

The funny part is that I've gone from being fairly lukewarm towards the guy to being a bit more in his corner.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NickZepp said:
OU fans want Kelvin Sampson fired right now and are hoping he takes other jobs.

why? I think he is doing a good job at OU.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NickZepp said:
They are morons. They think he's losing too much in the first round that his offenses are boring.

there are some on the KU front says the same thing about Bill Self.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I think with the success of the Missouri Valley and especially Wichita St. (with Mark Turgeon coaching, no less) the pressure on all the teams with vacancies is enormous, but K-State more than anywhere else. When Wichita St. is percieved as being much better than you, you're no longer an also-ran in just in your own conference, but 3rd place in a small state. I keep hearing about Bob Huggins going to Manhattan, and what can I say, if it's true, based on his history and reputation, I'll be sad for K-State, honestly. He's like the poster boy for out-of-control, win-at-all-costs, D-1 coach stereotypes. Long way from Jack Hartman.

But yeah, if the Creighton's, Southern Illinois', Bradley's, Northen Iowa's are now ahead of you in the regional pecking order, the Big-12 north have-nots (arguably, everybody except Kansas and Colorado) had better get the right coach if they're going to climb back up the ladder.

·
Registered
398 Posts
kansasalumn said:
there are some on the KU front says the same thing about Bill Self.
Self didn't have his personell till this year. I think the problem this year was Bradley was better then Kansas right now and KU is young. Even if Rush doesn't return next year KU will be the best team in the Big 12 next year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.