Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Isn't that what Ben Gordon has been telling us for the last year and a half? And didn't we commend him for that attitude?

This is the 4th game in a row that BG has been taken out mid-way through the 4th quarter, and in a couple of those games, Skiles doesn't have "well, ben wasn't playing well" to fall back on as an excuse.

So what does it really mean? Is skiles preparing the team to have to play these games without Ben? Does this mean he is potential trade bait?

Is ben in some sort of invisible dog-house?

And how long is it before he is disgruntled with his 4th quarter playing time, and starts verbalizing it?

He did NOT look happy over there on the bench, at sitting out what was supposedly "his time".......

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Hey dude, we won. Chill.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
That's Knick talk. ;)

Edit: But Ben IS averaging over 30 minutes a game. His role has increased, not decreased. Hardly in the doghouse. 22 minutes today isn't much, but maybe with our lead he wanted more defense. It worked, so who cares.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
well- it was obvious in the playoffs last year that Skiles is pretty much ignorant when it comes to managing Ben Gordon. He proved in the playoffs last year that there is something personal there, which IMHO sent us on a four game losing streak to the Wizards. However, he manages the team well- so maybe it would be the best thing for both parties if Ben was to find a new home. I mean I do feel bad for Ben- and I would love to see him back, but nonetheless, maybe Skiles just isn't his kind of coach.

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
We weren't having any offensive problems in the 4th qtr.....so I got no problem with Skiles not bringing him back. And this def. ain't a dog house(Skiles isn't that stupid). Ben was taken out in past games because 1) He looked fatigued and 2) Wasn't playing well. Tonight, other guys stepping up in the 4th so we didn't need him like we usually do.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Marcus13 said:
well- it was obvious in the playoffs last year that Skiles is pretty much ignorant when it comes to managing Ben Gordon. He proved in the playoffs last year that there is something personal there, which IMHO sent us on a four game losing streak to the Wizards. However, he manages the team well- so maybe it would be the best thing for both parties if Ben was to find a new home. I mean I do feel bad for Ben- and I would love to see him back, but nonetheless, maybe Skiles just isn't his kind of coach.
Huh? Were you watching the same playoffs I was? After the first game, Ben absolutely stunk it up.

------------

And tonight, who was supposed to go out of the game for Ben to come in?

Kirk was playing great. Chris was playing great. Neither of them deserved to sit. You can say Ben deserved to play, but this was one of those games where they needed to play the best defense they could and hold a team off at the end of the game.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As usual a poster from the short-sighted, "cant see beyond a single game" brigade shows up. This isn't about this game, or even about any allegiences. Its simply about what is up with Ben, why he isn't playing in crunch time, and what it means in the bigger picture for this team.

Gimmie a break, and please, stop reading so much into my posts. Unlike most here, they really are about NOTHING more than what they actually say. :rolleyes:

Edit: Gotcha SPMJ. That makes a bit more sense.

So in other words.....its too early to read anything into it.......??

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Krakken said:
Isn't that what Ben Gordon has been telling us for the last year and a half? And didn't we commend him for that attitude?

This is the 4th game in a row that BG has been taken out mid-way through the 4th quarter, and in a couple of those games, Skiles doesn't have "well, ben wasn't playing well" to fall back on as an excuse.

So what does it really mean? Is skiles preparing the team to have to play these games without Ben? Does this mean he is potential trade bait?

Is ben in some sort of invisible dog-house?

And how long is it before he is disgruntled with his 4th quarter playing time, and starts verbalizing it?

He did NOT look happy over there on the bench, at sitting out what was supposedly "his time".......
Are you serious?

Ben Gordon was probably the biggest reason the Jazz came back. Not to take too much away from him, he was also one of the biggest reasons they built such a big lead.

It's no coincidence that the Bulls were able to hold such a meager lead with Kirk in the game...

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SDBullsFan said:
Are you serious?

Ben Gordon was probably the biggest reason the Jazz came back. Not to take too much away from him, he was also one of the biggest reasons they built such a big lead.

It's no coincidence that the Bulls were able to hold such a meager lead with Kirk in the game...
Sorry, but I'm not gonna allow this to become about JUST tonights game, as others including yourself seem to want to make it. Stay on topic. This is about a bigger trend, and I'm just asking questions.

Stay on topic.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
The Krakken said:
As usual a poster from the short-sighted, "cant see beyond a single game" brigade shows up. This isn't about this game, or even about any allegiences. Its simply about what is up with Ben, why he isn't playing in crunch time, and what it means in the bigger picture for this team.

Gimmie a break, and please, stop reading so much into my posts. Unlike most here, they really are about NOTHING more than what they actually say. :rolleyes:

This doesn't answer why Ben is averaging far more minutes than he was last year. 5 games into the season, he's playing more, scoring more, and doing critical things for this team. Maybe I'm missing the point of this thread.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
The Krakken said:
As usual a poster from the short-sighted, "cant see beyond a single game" brigade shows up.
The Bulls won. Chill.

We wouldn't have won without Ben hitting huge shots tonight. As is almost always the case.

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
The Krakken said:

I would say so. Skiles has had some pretty good reasons to take Ben out in the 4th qtr this season so far(faitgue and poor shot selection). And he usually doesn't waste any time to put him back in if we're struggling to score. Ben IS averaging 30+ minutes per game this season after all and did play the majority of the crunch time mins. during the first 4 games of the season.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
SPMJ with some good posts and some great reason.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yodurk said:
This doesn't answer why Ben is averaging far more minutes than he was last year. 5 games into the season, he's playing more, scoring more, and doing critical things for this team. Maybe I'm missing the point of this thread.
Yeah, you probrably are, since this isn't about Ben Gordon the player, or Scott Skiles the coach.

This is strictly about WHY he isn't playing in crunch time, and what it means....all the rah rah stuff has no merit here since nobody is asking or promoting the elevation or demotion of anyone.

Nothing else.

·
Registered
68 Posts
SPMJ said:
How so? :confused:.

Jazz made their run in the 3rd, and it was Ben who kept us afloat.
Hardly.

His failure to rotate on defense properly led to several open (and made) jumpers, not to mention bad shot selection, a few bad turnovers, and several FT-inducing fouls.

He was the biggest reason the Bulls built such a big lead, but also the biggest reason why they lost it.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SDBullsFan said:
Hardly.

His failure to rotate on defense properly led to several open (and made) jumpers, not to mention bad shot selection, a few bad turnovers, and several FT-inducing fouls.

He was the biggest reason the Bulls built such a big lead, but also the biggest reason why they lost it.
Funny, what I saw was Duhon and Hinrich consistently getting beat off the dribble and their man kicking out to Okur consistently for those jumpers. I could have sworn it happened on 3 or 4 straight plays....

When Ben came into the game in the 3rd, the lead had already been cut in half.....or was he giving away the lead from the bench too??

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Krakken said:
Funny, what I saw was Duhon and Hinrich consistently getting beat off the dribble and their man kicking out to Okur consistently for those jumpers. I could have sworn it happened on 3 or 4 straight plays....

When Ben came into the game in the 3rd, the lead had already been cut in half.....or was he giving away the lead from the bench too??
Gordon didn't get beat off of the dribble? He didn't take horrible shots? Guards weren't getting wide open jumpers because of his defensive lapses? You didn't see him fail to get any of his teammates involved?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts