Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damon is the starting PG for the rest of the year and as of late he's not doing to badly. Does it make sense to sign another PG much like we did with Jeff and Rod before that? Does that kill Damons momentum and cause him further chemistry issues? In all fairness we aren't going to win it all this year and if Damons doing okay and Q is learning the ropes maybe we should just hold tight.

If Damon keeps getting hight assist numbers and shooting well he'll be much easier to trade in the offseason and our team might also win a bunch more games. This also gives Q a lot of time to develop and Damon doesn't look threatened when Q's out there. It's a win, win.

I just think if we sign another PG of worth Damon will feel threatened and we could go back into a hole of sorts. Damon plays better when he's the first option, if we can't trade him "now" let him keep his confidence high.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Damon is still a poor PG. Period.

Despite his play of late he still cannot defend well, is too streaky a shooter, dribbles too long on offense, doesn't take enough advantage pushing the ball looking for advantages and can't see and/or make many assist opportunities due to his size and poor court vision.

To be sure, he has some skills but his liabilities outweigh his assets.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with you, but it seems that Damon gets his way on this team and has for years. He's not tradeable right now and he has the ability to be a problem if he doesn't start. Damon thinks he's a franchise type player in his eyes, telling him he's not has not seemed to work well. Has it?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could just see Van stepping off the plane here and Damon jumping into his life size bong for the rest of the season. Can't you?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I don't see us signing anyone that would displace Stoudamire or even take any real minutes from him...

Unfortunately.

Whoever would just take Q's 10 minutes and then he'd never get to play...

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I hear what you are saying, and it has some painful logic.

It could be a Hobson's Choice.

We are damned if we do (get a penetrating, distributing, defending, backup point) - which might threaten Damon's fragile ego and take away from developing Q, or:

damned if we don't (suffer the rest of the season with the Damon show all channels all the time, with no hope if Damon gets injured or goes into a major shooting slump, or mouths off to Mo Cheeks).

I think we have to pick up a PG. The risk to the team is too great if Damon were to go down with injury.

As much as we rag on Damon, he is at least a legit starting caliber PG in the NBA. After him, we have nothing but stopgaps on the roster.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
We MUST pick up another player within the next week or so... either through a trade or as a free agent. Them's the rules.

So assuming that, I can't believe we'd add anything as a FA other than a PG. If the team really liked Dickens or Carroll or Vranes, it could have re-signed them by now, knowing that they might have to put Outlaw or someone on the IL if a 2-for-1 came down .

If they don't really like the guys they've already had, it seems they would be signing someone for need... and backup PG is obviously our biggest need at the moment.

Sign a decent young PG, and use him at the backup. Give Q most of Person's minutes (like 15 a night), using Wes when teams are dropping into a zone.

The decent young PG shouldn't threaten Damon, Portland still gets Q minutes, and the team's performance should be at least as good as it is now (I think that Woods might be a dropoff from Person at the backup 2, but the pickup at the 1 should be a decent upgrade from Q at that spot.)

Ed O.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I think it is a good idea to pump up Stoudamire's ego and let him float with it for the rest of the year IF that will help our team chances to trade him next season. I do think Stoudamire play better when he doesn't have competition, so I'll go along with this idea.

With that, it wouldn't hurt if we sign a pg as an insurance in case Stoudamire go down with an injury. I don't think we can sign a FA pg that is good enough to make Stoudamire feel threaten.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If that's the case the GS deal must not be for real, cause Van would throw a major wrench in Damons day.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I like the idea of letting Stoudamire play out the season. We'll either make the playoffs and get bounced in the first round, or miss the playoffs and wind up in the lottery. However, if Stoudamire keeps playing the way he has the last few games, he could wind up with some pretty surprising numbers - 12-15 ppg, maybe as many as 8 assists per game, good assist-turnover ratio, a good percentage from behind the arc. Good enough numbers, in fact, that another General Manager might be fooled into thinking he'd be worth giving up $12 mil in salary for, eh?

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Terrible</b>!
Damon is the starting PG for the rest of the year and as of late he's not doing to badly.
I'm on record not being much of a fan of his, but I just picked him up for my fantasy team. He's going to be averaging over 35 minutes on this club as he's the only guy who can scoot it over the half court line every time.

Thankfully, some of his shooting guard metality works with this current starting mix IMO. Both DA and Miles move the ball and dabble in playmaking allowing DS to squirt around picks and gun like he wants to. Darius and Derrick can and will feed the post players better then Damon ever has. It's a funky mix of roles but I think it's going to work pretty well.

STOMP

1 - 12 of 12 Posts