Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i signed up for that insider butt slap thing over at rickbrunson.com and they keep sending me emails. but this is so funny that i had to post it knowing more than a few people here would get a chuckle. then sigh deeply. shrug shoulders...and try and move on from the season that ... well, isn't quite going how we'd hoped. enjoy. and please pay attention to the warning. i mean it.

here's a sample...

" Many industry insiders agree that NBA teams have placed too much value on the quality known as "upside." For example, although Darius Miles was not putting up quantifiable statistics that would match Andre Miller's back in July 2002 it was believed that his "upside" cancelled out those differences. In the future his "upside" would lend to statistics that equaled or bettered Miller's. Now that the future has arrived Cleveland management believes that Miles's "upside" sucks.

The trouble is that nobody knows exactly what "upside" is. It's can never be seen and it is thus unmeasurable. Teams covet and horde "upside," such as the Chicago Bulls who are currently the league leaders in "upside" despite sitting at the bottom of the Central Division. Still GM Jon Paxson is confident that his wealth of "upside" will translate to a championship in future years."

please be warned!!
THE PHOTO "ILLUSTRATION" IS KINDA GORY

rickbrunson.com

Oh my Freaking GOD! The above warning is NO JOKE!!! I would suggest that you NOT click.:dead: :dead: :dead: TB#1

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
This backs what I've said for years now: "upside" is tremendously overrated. I'll take actual results over potential upside 10 times out of 10. Even with the rare diamond in the rough in the equation, the laws of equal return are very much in favor of going with the proven product. It's just smart business.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
So you would trade Curry for Kurt Thomas?

Was Vlade for Kobe dumb?

Sure it's a gamble when you go with potential, but a teams of proven solid players don't win championships. Great players do. You have to gamble on greatness. If you don't, you're settling for mediocrity.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
I realize that, TripleDouble. Of course you have to gamble once in a while to get that special player, but IMO there's waaaaay too much talk of "upside this" and "upside that" when there probably shouldn't be as much going on.

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
Originally posted by <b>mizenkay</b>!
just making sure you guys know this is a satire. though much of it rings true. ok back to our regularly scheduled programming.

:laugh: :laugh:
:confused: :confused: :confused:

rickbrunson.com and The Onion are the ONLY legitimate source of news outside of Weekly World News.

You must be high.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts

Good thing these two (and Boozer, too) didn't listen to all the criticizm of their supposed lack of upside.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.