Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,076 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Originally posted by Mikedc
I'd guess that either Blount or Tyson get more minutes at center.

At this point, I'm guessing our frontcourt rotation is something like:

Center - Curry 30, Chandler 18
Power Forward - Chandler 12, Fizer 26, Blount 10
I disagree. Both Fizer and Bagaric have been replaced. Blount was not signed to play 10 minutes per game. When Fizer and Bags were on the floor together last year our interior defense and rebounding suffered greatly. Blount should make a positive difference in those two areas. Both Fizer and Bags are now eminently available for trades.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think we can get a third rounder for Bags, I'd be fine with that trade also it would help the Bulls a lot.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by HJHJR

I disagree. Both Fizer and Bagaric have been replaced. Blount was not signed to play 10 minutes per game. When Fizer and Bags were on the floor together last year our interior defense and rebounding suffered greatly. Blount should make a positive difference in those two areas. Both Fizer and Bags are now eminently available for trades.
First, if we were looking for a guy to play heavy minutes, I'm sickened that Blount is the guy we picked. He's a one year, veteran minimum player. 10 minutes a game is kind of an "ideal", if everyone is healthy. In reality, his average mpg will be higher, given that he'll play more when other guys are hurt.

Second, it does eliminate Dillybar from the every day rotation (I hope). I personally wouldn't be giving Fizer's minutes to Blount though. Fizer's a limited defender, but he's shown steady improvement in his time here. By this year, he should be passable as a defender and a rebounder, and he offers an immense upgrade over Blount on offense.

And who are we going to trade them for? We can sign Harpring and/or a cheap veteran PG without trading them. I don't disagree that they're on the block, but in the short term, I think this move signals that NO trades are close at hand. Maybe we move at the deadline or next season. I could be wrong, of course, but I think signing a guy like Keon Clark would signal a move. Signing a guy like Blount means Krause is basically happy with who he's got.

My realistic, non wishful thinking prediction is that we get Harpring and basically call it a day. Crawford, ERob, and Fizer will be showcased this year for use in a sign-and-trade next summer for one of next year's bumper crop of FAs. Or one or more of them will exceed expectations and we keep them.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

See suggested NY trade on other thread

ERob, Fizer and Dali for Ward and Thomas

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
MikeDC:

Blout played over 1400 minutes last year for a team that went to the playoffs and averaged more rebounds per 48 minutes (12.4) than anyone on the current Bulls' roster. He also did not take a lot of bad shots, a la Oakley, hitting 46% of his shots, which is better than Fizer and Bags. I think we could spare 1000-1500 minutes of playing time for him.

Crawford, ERob, and Fizer are going to get caught in a minutes crunch this year. I think they could be at their maximum trade value right now.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
In the season before last when he was with the Warriors he averaged over 8 rebounds in 21 minutes . That's what we need him to do - rebound the ball and put a body on the low post stud

He'll get his minutes alright

All in all I am happy with the acquisition

·
Registered
510 Posts
Thanks HJ as always. Blount is a very good fit for us. Even though it was a one year contract acquisition, I do think ir is a matter of time until Fizer is moved. I wish him him well and I have been a supporter of his. I am not as sure about Bagaric being moved. He is young enough, big enough and cheap enough that we can put him at the end of the bench and wait on him. He is very young and centers take a long time to develop and even back up centers have major worth in the NBA. historically centers reach their peak close to 30. I am not big on just dumping him. Time will tell.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Originally posted by sinkingship
Blount.

Whoopie...

Guess we should all get in line now and purchase those playoff tickets early.

Simpkins or Jud Buechler could be next.

Given your answer and your name here I would guess the glass is always half empty.

·
Registered
835 Posts
With guys like Corey Blount the glass isn't half empty, it's broken. He is a career 11th man who is probably playing his final NBA season. I'm not finding a negative in this because is it completely insignificant. The only negative is I have to believe through trade or looking at someone else we could have gotten a contributor instead of Blount.

Blount is a filled roster spot and nothing else. He will not contribute much at all on the court.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts

Blount = very nice pickup at the price. At least Bill will have the option to play a vet who can play some D and board instead of all of the kids. Blount can play next to Chandler or Curry and form a decent sized front court.

Any chance that we don't pick up Bags or Fizer's options for year 4?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Originally posted by Songcycle
Thanks HJ as always. Blount is a very good fit for us. Even though it was a one year contract acquisition, I do think ir is a matter of time until Fizer is moved. I wish him him well and I have been a supporter of his. I am not as sure about Bagaric being moved. He is young enough, big enough and cheap enough that we can put him at the end of the bench and wait on him. He is very young and centers take a long time to develop and even back up centers have major worth in the NBA. historically centers reach their peak close to 30. I am not big on just dumping him. Time will tell.

Wow. I think you had a post recently that mentioned we should pick up Bags option for a fourth year. I admire your support for the guy but honestly I feel we'd be better off ridding ourselves of him and using his roster spot on someone else.

The 2 most glaring reasons why I would be in favor of trading (even waiving) Bags are...

1) Mentally, he's done things I've never seen before. Last year when we were beating the crap out of the Warriors and everyone was laughing and high fiving each other during the final minutes, in comes Dalibor and he pulls his infamous "antics". He was making it a POINT to everybody in the arena how unhappy he was when he walked up and down the court like he didn't give a damn. On a play where he was standing in the paint and could have made a play for a blocked layup attempt he started walking back towards the other end of the court while the ball was still in play rather than play D. This of course resulted in Tyson screaming at him from the bench and later Jalen giving him an earfull. What a way to ruin the atmosphere coming off an impressive team victory.

Then there was a play last year where a player was all alone for a layup attempt downcourt and here comes Dali to deliver a hard foul sending the player down hard. Now, it was a good play to not allow the uncontested layup, but afterwards Dali RAISES HIS HAND to acknowledge it was he who commited the foul. No sh*t ! Nobody else was even downcourt besides those two.

And this year in the summer league game that was televised, he pulls a freaking shoulder block move that looked straight out of pro wrestling school. I never seen a flagrant foul like that in my life. What provoked it? Then you see Tyson raising his arms in disgust and immediately Dali goes off to the bench, and we see a closeup of his facial expression and it's like he doesn't even care.

2) Let's face it, as far as backup centers go, Dali is bad. I think we're all hoping he can become a "decent" backup, but in my opinion, he'll never even become that. Plus, he's probably the slowest player I've ever seen. (thinking for somebody even slower than him.... still thinking ...)

Now regarding Corie Blount, I really like this move. And so far it fits in to what Jalen Rose was talking about just the other day, in that he said we were probably not going to sign anybody to a long-term deal this summer so we could really make a run at next summer's free agents. If we use our 4.5 mill on another 1 year contract then it looks like both Rose and Krause are on the same page.

I hope we go after Harpring now because he's another tough guy type. Like a more talented Ed Najera. I was originally in favor of using our 4.5 on Keon Clark, as I thought his marijuana problem was behind him. I now admit that would have been a bad move considering our overall team youth. You wouldn't want Tyson & Eddy learning from this guy.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I've always been a big proponent of Krause, but the signing of Blount has me a little befuddled. Unless Krause is planning to ship Blount out as a part of a sign-and-trade, adding another PF doesn't make a lot sense to me. If anything, we need someone to replace Baga-nasty. Blount may be able contribute a little at C, but he's not our answer to Eddy's back up. One other possibility would be let Chandler back up Eddy at C. Although it's not his natural position, I can see Tyson playing the position similar to a Camby type. That would give Fizer, Baxtor, and Blount additional minutes at PF.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Song, the thing that is so disturbing about Bags is that it appears he took a step back this summer. Last summer, I think he may have led us in scoring at the RMR, while this summer, he couldn't keep from fouling. But I still have hopes for him, though it is hard. I just remember how much every team hates their back-up centers.

·
Registered
510 Posts
With all due respect NCBullsFan, the summer league doesn't count for much in my book. If we can really get something for him, I am not opposed to a trade, but I do think based on his age and low salary, I'd just as soon be patient and gamble. We really have nothing to lose here by letting him sit at the end of the bench.

·
Registered
220 Posts
What's next?

From the Chicago Trib:

Blount's signing leaves the Bulls with the mid-level exception of $4.546 million, which they hope to split between a defensive-minded small forward and veteran point guard. Krause is also pursuing sign-and-trade possibilities with point guard Travis Best.

If KC Johnson is correct, the mid level exception will probably be used on players like Kevin Ollie (who knows the triangle) and Matt Harpring.

Let's say Ollie and Harpring are signed. The Bulls rotations might look something like this:

PG: Williams and Ollie.
SG/SF (swing positions): Rose, Robinson, Harpring, and a little bit of Hassell.
PF/C: Chandler, Curry, Blount.

Who does that leave in reserve? Fizer, Crawford, Bagaric, Hoiberg, Mason and Baxter.

And if Krause is able to work a sign and trade with Best, it's quite possible that one of the so-called reserves could be pushed even farther down the bench.

Most people will agree that Crawford's and Fizer's pure talent far exceeds that of Ollie and Blount. The difference is that Crawford and Fizer both think they should be starting, and that's just not going to happen. Ollie and Blount, however, would know and accept their roles as support players, and both would offer much more at the defensive end of the court.

So where does that leave us? Fizer, Crawford, Bagaric and Hoiberg are trade bait. So much for the Bulls 2000 draft. Barring injuries, Mason and Baxter will probably spend most of the season on the Bulls developmental squad, better known as the IR.

The problem is that despite Krause's positive statements about Crawford and Fizer, the rest of the league knows what's up with these guys. That's going to make it real tough for the Bulls to get anyone of real value for them via a trade.

We'll just have to be patient and see how it all plays out.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts