Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the game thread, but thought it should have it's own thread. Also make sure my math is correct on this. Liberal arts major in the house.

Looking at the schedule, if the Cavs win 2 of their 3 home games remaining and win the last game of the season against toronto...and lose the rest...so 3-4 of the last 7.

That would put them at: 41-41

New Jersey has this:
Apr 9 BOS
Apr 13 @IND
Apr 15 @TOR
Apr 17 PHI
Apr 19 WAS
Apr 20 @BOS

I figure they will lose to Indiana and one of the boston games.
4-2

Puts them at:41-41 and in.

Phil, has this:
[email protected]
Apr 12 BOS
Apr 14 MIA
Apr 15 @IND
Apr 17 @NJ
Apr 18 MIL
Apr 20 ATL

They lose at least 4 of those games. Which gives them 3-4 of their last 7.

And their final record would be...40-42

Cavs in.

So as bad as things look. The Cavs just have to hold their home court, or only lose one and win the last game against Toronto, and they should be able to make it in. That NJ-Phi game is going to really help the Cavs.

For reference-this is the Cavs closing schedule:
Apr 9 MIL
Apr 11 @ORL
Apr 14 NY
Apr 15 @WAS
Apr 17 @DET
Apr 19 BOS
Apr 20 @TOR

And I'm taking them over NY, Mil, and either Bos at home or Tor on the road. But they could give themselves a ton of breathing room if they take Mil, Orl, NY next week for a lot of momentum.

So I guess, as dire as things are, they aren't completely black yet.

Tomorrow's game is make or break though. The Cavs cannot afford to drop any games to non-playoff teams at home. Meaning the Bucks.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
They almost need to win the next 3 games. I think they'll still make it but they need Z back in a hurry. We were desperate for a third scorer and now without Z all teams key up on Lebron without having to worry about anybody else.

In actuality, if we were playing with good form we could even win out completely. But without Z and the implosion of chemistry it gonna be tight.

·
Maybe Next Year....
10,212 Posts
Liberal arts major in the house.
lol future. :biggrin:

Its gonna be tough. Future's post makes me feel a bit more optimistic, as I had stopped looking at the schedule with this flurry of losses. Somebody, anybody, outside of Gooden and Bron has to show up in these games and we win at least 4 and possibly 5 of the remaining games.

Bron the last 5 games is putting up an incredible 30.6ppg 8.8rpg 6.0apg 2.4spg, that is really unbelievable. He's leading the team in scoring, assists, steals, fg%, 3pt%, AND rebounds during that stretch yet the team is still only 1-4.

James will get the blame for this collapse, but someone else has to step up.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Benedict_Boozer said:
Bron the last 5 games is putting up an incredible 30.6ppg 8.8rpg 6.0apg 2.4spg, that is really unbelievable. He's leading the team in scoring, assists, steals, fg%, 3pt%, AND rebounds during that stretch yet the team is still only 1-4.
You might hold onto those numbers. They could prove somewhat useful this summer when the trolls start rolling through if the Cavs do muck this up.

The key thing for the Cavs to realize, is that it is still in their hands to make the playoffs. What NJ and Philly do doesn't have to matter if they take care of business. All of the remaining teams are teams that Cleveland has beaten before and could do again if they got it together.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i think today will be quite telling as to how the cavs will finish up. with new jersey hosting boston and the cavs hosting the bucks. i truly feel that today is a must win for the cavs and the cavs need the celtics to beat new jersey, if both of those don't happen i see it very unlikely that the cavs will make the playoffs.

·
Maybe Next Year....
10,212 Posts
NJ killing Boston.....Carter dropped 24 on them in the 1st qtr alone. Nets aren't gonna fall off, we're gonna have to win the majority of our games if we want any chance of making it.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
You're also assuming that Philly finishes 3-4. If they finish 4-3, that puts all three teams at 41-41... and I think the Cavs lose on the tie-breaker with both NJ and Philly... leaving the Cavs out of the playoffs.

I'm not being a pessimist, but obviously NJ is hot, and Philly has been playing better lately than Clev.....

Clev really needs to suck it up here.... especially Z and LeBron and either JMac or Snow to run the show. Heck, maybe Malone should just go ahead and play LeBron at the PG with Ira and Sasha, Drew and Z.... I'm worried tho. Clev really needs to come out with some fire tonight vs the Bucks. Milw is out of it, and on the road, nothing to win for. Now watch Redd just freakin' go off for 35 pts hitting 7 of 9 3 pointers.......... :curse:

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not even really looking at New Jersey today. I figured they would win one of the Boston games. Obviously the one at home. But let's keep an eye on Philly.
They are at Washington tonight. That's one of the games I have them losing. I also have them losing against Boston. That could be the make or break game, since it is at Philly. And my worry about the Mia game is if the Heat aren't going to play Shaq and are just going to rest their team for the playoffs.

Let's be realistic here though. If this was the begining of the season and the Cavs had the same 7 game stretch, the expectation would be 6-1 possibly 7-0. These are all teams they can beat. Granted losing Z hurts that a little bit. But not much. The Cavs CAN run the table if they get their act together.

I think my 3-4 is the worst case scenario. Or I hope. This is a team that closed out last year losing 10 of 11. But they had good effort last night, so maybe it is turning around. You have that effort in the last of these 7 games and you will win 5 of these games at least.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Looks like to be all clear we need to win out at home and maybe steal one on the road. Cross our fingers; it's gonna be tight

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Benedict_Boozer said:
^^ No doubt, we really need this Orlando game on Monday.

I still can't believe Philly beat Washington on the road WITHOUT AI :rolleyes:

Yeah. I hadn't factored into my figures Washington outright tanking it. This helps out the Cavs if it's true, somewhat, in that I had penciled the Washington game in as a loss. But if the Cavs can win that, even if New Jersey and Philly both win their washington game, then it's good for the Cavs.

Winning at Orlando on Monday was not a game I had given to the Cavs either, so if they can win that it could be huge.

Again. With the exception of the Detroit game, there is no reason the Cavs can't run the table with the team they have, if they one guy beyond Gooden and Lebron gets hot and the team continues to work hard.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
The thing that might benefit us is that McInnis must be angling for a contract now. The way his career has spiraled down this year: he really needs to finish strong even to get a minimum deal. No one wants anyone labeled a cacner on three different teams.

Hard to swallow but without Z this season might depend on McInnis playing like last year

·
Maybe Next Year....
10,212 Posts
I had a few thoughts.

1) I wonder if we're better off having Philly or NJ win their showdown this weekend? If NJ wins then then we have both teams breathing down our neck for seeds with the tie-breaker. Whereas if Philly won, NJ would have a much more difficult time catching us and we would have a really good chance of at least getting the 8 seed. Then again looking at Philly's schedule, they could easily lose their next 3 games and the NJ game could put them away.

2) If we keep winning catching Washington for the 6 seed could be a possibility, they still have:
CHI = possible loss
CLE = possible loss
CHA = win
@NJ = possible loss
@NY = win

If they lose 3 of those 5 games, and we win 4 of 5 games left (NY, BOS, 2 out of @DET, @WAS, @TOR road games), we finish 44-38, they finish 44-38, we take the 6 seed. I don't think that's farfetched at all, we are a good home team and would really only need to pick up 1 quality road win against either WAS/DET.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Getting Boston in the first round as opposed to Miami or Detroit would be great.

I still haven't decided who we need to win out of New Jersey and Philly. But I am going to root for Philly to win, because I want them to make it with the Cavs. And I do think they'll win against Boston and Miami, for some reason. I think stacking up losses on New Jersey is going to be the thing to root for.

·
Maybe Next Year....
10,212 Posts
^^^ I would like to see AI in the playoffs also, he plays so hard every night he deserves it.

Philly just dropped a home game to Boston and with 3 tough games coming up, they could slide. I still don't see Philly coming up with anything less than 41 wins cause of the two cupcakes at the end of their schedule. The Cavs are gonna have to win a game on the road to ensure a playoff spot.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
I think we get in with a .500 record for the year with 42 wins. To do that we need to hold home court against two easily beaten teams (Ny, Toronto). With a road win we may actually get a 7th seed. Cross our fingers

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If Chicago beats Washington tomorrow that pulls Washington down to Cleveland more. Same deal if New Jersey beats Indiana tomorrow. That would give both teams 36 losses to the Cavs 37. So theoretically the Cavs aren't out of the race for the 5th seed yet.

But they also could miss the playoffs still.

It would be insane if after everything the Cavs ended up back at 5.

·
Maybe Next Year....
10,212 Posts
Mixed news for the Cavs tonight.

I was hoping Chicago could fight back from a slow start but they lost at Washington, while New Jersey (finally) lost at Indiana. We can thank Reggie Miller for that one cause the Nets had a 6pt lead with like a minute left and he connected on a 4pt play.

It will be tough for NJ to pass us now :clap:

4 Chicago 44 34
5 Indiana 43 35
6 Washington 43 35
7 Cleveland 40 37
8 Philadelphia 39 38
--------------------------
New Jersey 38 40

Considering NJ still plays Philly, that basically gives us a 3 game lead on NJ if they lose and 2 game lead on Philly if they lose (that game).

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It was good news for the Cavs, but bad news for my Bulls.

They played that game without Deng, Curry, Nocioni, and Chandler. And Othella Harrington was in foul trouble. It was at Washington.

And they still hung around all night, despite shooting horrible all night. That's one gritty *** team.

·
Maybe Next Year....
10,212 Posts
^^Yeah the Bulls impress me more and more each time I watch them, especially Hinrich. He doesn't back down from anybody, seems like he's in attack mode on both sides of the ball all game long.

If the Cavs can make some upgrades this offseason, the Central Division is gonna be brutal next year, Detroit/Indiana/Chicago/Cleveland could all be very good.

Just like the glory days of the 90's :cheers:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts