Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Link

Nothing really new on Ivan, but kinda interesting. Nice to see he is bulking himself up real good! Growing up in Russia and goign to high school in Canada may be the best combo. You get teh skills of the Euro players and you are forced to bulk up for the Canadian winters, which let's you play down low!

I just wish he didn't live and die by the three so much... Just throw it down big man!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I read that he hit 16 3pts in a tournament recently attend by scouts from Memphis, Clippers, Milwaukee and a couple of others , if i find the link ill post it.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by <b>BagFullOTreez</b>!
I read that he hit 16 3pts in a tournament recently attend by scouts from Memphis, Clippers, Milwaukee and a couple of others , if i find the link ill post it.
I already did!

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
that's intersting
im really routing for the kid
i think he has the potential to become a good player

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Originally posted by <b>fjkdsi</b>!

i think he has the potential to become a good player
And I think he has the hype now from nowhere which will lead exactly to being the bust.

I havent seen him and I think none of us did, but Im from Europe and I usually know most European players. This Chiraev kid was unheard for me before he said "Im better than Nowitcki" or whatever like that. Does that make him a draft pick at once? Can I say Im the next AI and Im a draft project?

I compare this situation with the one, which was with Tsikishvili. Well, I knew Tsikishvili, because he was taken by one of the best team in Europe, but anyway he was nothing, nothing here, a zero and he was so hyped in US, taken highly in drafts and whats next??? few minutes in every second game...

Well, as I've heard some of you still think Skita still can get it done, dont call him bust yet, hes bulking up and so on (I can say just "yea sure"), but I doubt that his current situation fills your expectations before the draft...

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I think he's the basketball version of T.A.T.U.

they appeared with all the 'hey look us, we're lesbians' stuff and tried to win Eurovision contest, after it, they said that they were just posing...

I think T.A.T.U's manager just found a 7'0 guy in Russia and said 'hey, maybe you can steal some money to a stupid franchise', so they sent him to America instead of developing correctly and seriously in Europe.. but wait, US high schools are too hard, so let's send him to Canada...to a ****ty league in which he'll dominate...and let's see what kind of players are getting drafted...wow... 3-pt shooting european 7-footers, so, come on, Ivan, you've got to shoot a lot of threes here and you'll be hyped...

i was joking.. :D ..or not...

he may be drafted..but he'll be a bust :D

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Originally posted by <b>AMR</b>!

I sign on that :yes:

And I couldnt think of better description of him and his agent as you did with that T.A.T.U. thing :laugh:

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I think he's the basketball version of T.A.T.U.

they appeared with all the 'hey look us, we're lesbians' stuff and tried to win Eurovision contest, after it, they said that they were just posing...

I think T.A.T.U's manager just found a 7'0 guy in Russia and said 'hey, maybe you can steal some money to a stupid franchise', so they sent him to America instead of developing correctly and seriously in Europe.. but wait, US high schools are too hard, so let's send him to Canada...to a ****ty league in which he'll dominate...and let's see what kind of players are getting drafted...wow... 3-pt shooting european 7-footers, so, come on, Ivan, you've got to shoot a lot of threes here and you'll be hyped...

i was joking.. :D ..or not...

Great post-- and probably 100% accurate. I have no doubt the European agents are saying "If the Americans are dumb enough to give money to Slavko Vranes, they'll give it to anyone."

Pavel Podkolzine probably has the same agent.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
This draft is looking to be full of guys who are overhyped: Chiriaev, Podkolzine, Seung-Jinn...and guys who COULD be included in that group in Perovic, Biedrins. All these guys are prjected lottery picks...are you kidding me? I wouldn't touch ANY of them with a lottery pick. I hope they do go lotto though, and I hop my team (POR) can benefit by picking up a better player who drops b\c of the hype on these guys.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I think Perovic and especially Biedrins don't belong to that "bust" group. I haven't seen Biedrins but his stas are quite impresive for 18 years old... Perovic is far from ready to play in nba (although he is better than Vranes :D) but in few years he could became a solid nba center...

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
I think Ivan would be nuts not to declare. Nice to see he put on some weight.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Funny, everyone is calling him a bust but most people are basing that off of like two articles on the kid. You don't have 20 NBA teams go visit you while in HS for no reason. If he does have the skills they say he does for a 7-footer, no reason to believe he couldnt become a very good player.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
but wait, US high schools are too hard, so let's send him to Canada...to a ****ty league in which he'll dominate
High School Basketball in the City of Toronto is better then many cities in the United States. While his regional league (which is only about 15 games a year is subpar) the team plays strong opposition at top tournaments across Ontario.

But keep the generalizations coming, hypocrite.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JuniorNoboa</b>!

High School Basketball in the City of Toronto is better then many cities in the United States. While his regional league (which is only about 15 games a year is subpar) the team plays strong opposition at top tournaments across Ontario.

When you say many cities do you mean like Salt Lake City? Cause I'll give you that one.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
I'm not sure why everyone has to hate on this kid. Very few people on this board have ever seen him play. I think most people read those Dirk comments and think he's some kind of egomaniac, but the comments themselves weren't really all that bad--and it's not like the press has ever gotten anything out of context.

Talking to people that have seen him play, he seems to have a lot of potential. He really needs to go to a D1 college to get the highest quality coaching, though. If he enters the draft, I really don't see anyone taking a chance on him in the first round, let alone the lottery.

And for the people saying he has no competition playing in Toronto, remember that he has played against American high-schoolers too, and done pretty well. And you can get some pretty good basketball teams in a city of over 4.5 million people.

The problem is that the city just doesn't invest much in basketball. If they tried to focus just 1/10th of the attention they spend on hockey on basketball instead, you'd see many more D1 and NBA players coming out of the t-dot.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts

generalizations??? Russian League is 100 times better than the HS competition..., come on, he just went there to put his name in the draft being close to the states and dominating...

·
Registered
8,669 Posts

generalizations??? Russian League is 100 times better than the HS competition..., come on, he just went there to put his name in the draft being close to the states and dominating...

Thanks. I was wondering why several thousands of Russians immigrate to Toronto each year. Now I know - they are looking to fool NBA scouts. Trying to have a better life has nothing to do with it. Thanks again for increasing my knowledge.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Yeah some good players have come out of the T. system - such as Jamal Magloire, and Denham Brown currently at UConn.

I still think he should forget the draft and take the free pass to NCAA for at least a year or two, and imporve his game, but I' rooting for him.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts

Thanks. I was wondering why several thousands of Russians immigrate to Toronto each year. Now I know - they are looking to fool NBA scouts. Trying to have a better life has nothing to do with it. Thanks again for increasing my knowledge.
In some cases, it is because they are trying to have a better life by fooling NBA scouts.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts