Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...and I 100% stand by my comments.

The once mighty Notre Dame is that $&#!'ing bad. HOLY FREAKIN' CRAP.

No way I'm watching the UM game next week. I'll have to do something less painful, like sticking my head in the oven, or castrating myself with a fork.

They'll get the magic back...but not with Ty. Fire that clown tomorrow.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
I always regret staying home on Saturdays to watch this team play. Seriously, what the **** man? First Davie and now this ****? Kevin White had better strike gold with this next hire or I'll go to South Bend and off him myself. This had better be Ty's last year. It's obvious that he's not going to turn this program around. Meyer, Ferentz, and Leach should be on KW's speed dial.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, how about the stellar play of Rhema McKnight tonight?

I especially liked it when he fielded the punt...at the ONE YARD LINE!!...and returned it for a whopping 3 yards.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Why has Willingham had so much trouble at Notre Dame? He did well at Stanford, and his first year in South Bend was pretty good. My guess, without knowing a thing about ND football, would be that he's playing with Davies' athletes, and they aren't very good. Sometimes it takes a new coach a few years to get his players in place and start playing well. I'd still give Willingham one more year after this one, assuming it's not a total failure and he's still recruiting well. You know Urban Meyer will probably be waiting for the job, so there's no need to get rid of Willingham right away, and possibly prematurely.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Main Reason:
The Coaching staff are among the WORST at devising a gameplan. Just look at the nature of ND's losses and some of the weaker teams we've lost to. ND has lost 10 of 15 games (1st time since 1961), we got BLOWN OUT by 4 teams last year. One of those blowout were to a below average Syracuse team. NO ONE has any fear of ND's offense. There is not rebuttal possible here.

Contributing Reasons:
1) Ineffective playbook/play design. Our offense can not do anything remotely effectively. I believe that our offensive linemen are above average, but they look completely unable to make holes or protect the quarterback. I think the "schemes" are flawed. Also, why don't any our receiver ever seem to be open? Poor play design.

2) Poor fundamentals: missed tackles, false starts, bad decision making on special teams

3) No Faith: I feel bad for the kids. These are good athletes, but it is hard to be effective when you know deep down that your leadership is not devising a strategy that will enable you to win. Think of going to battle under a General that you know is dominant (Patton, McArthur, Schwarzkopf) vs. going to battle under a General that has proven to be NOT dominant and hasn't been able to demonstrate victory. We won't win until the athletes BELIEVE they will win no matter what the odds. This won't happen under Willingham.
:upset:

·
Registered
830 Posts
This should be the game plain for Ty next week

Send one receiver out on pass plays, and have the other's back as blockers

Maybe let Fasano play a little more. let the fans know when, so he can watch an outstanding receiver catch footballs.

Have McNight stand in the endzone on punt returns, and forbid him to move forward to catch a ball. Tell McNight your using Anastacio as a "decoy" in front of him, but Anastascio would be the main pr & kr man.

Use the fullbacks as running backs, and use the running backs as tackling dummies in practice.

Have a math instructor coach Quinn on 3rd and long situations during practice. You also might need a physics instructor, so Quinn understands that a heavily guarded receiver, catching a 3rd dump pass, has little chance of gaining more than 7 yds.

Keep the corner backs in a prevent defense formation. or send the senior db's to disneyworld over the weekend, so we can watch young raw talent develop, rather than raw talent never develop.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
this is actually surprising. i didn't get to see much of the game, but the reviews are in and it wasn't good.

i was high on ty's bandwagon and felt notre dame had really hired a winner when they got him. initially, he seemed to be turning things around quicker than anyone anticipated when he got off to an 8-0 start. now, he is in serious danger of having a second consecutive losing season.

notre dame is a tough gig. ty willingham exhibits the personality and character that notre dame values and then some. he just doesn't win like they want him to.

i like ty. i can't say i'm an notre dame fan but i respect what he did at stanford and a the time notre dame hired him felt that he was the perfect man for the job. i'd like to see him turn it around, but it isn't looking all that likely right now.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Just shows that Notre Dame fans are out of touch with reality. They think they should compete for national titles every season, but it's just not realistic when they play the toughest schedule in the nation every single season.

Ah well. Going to fire a good HC and he will go somewhere and win. Stupid if you ask me.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Shaq_Diesel</b>!
Urban Meyer to ND.....but I still don't think he'll succeed in South Bend
The problem isn't coaching, it's how they recruit. The luster on the Golden domes is gone, while it's still "America's team" it's not the same as it was before, especially now with a ton of top flight teams with scholarships spread out.

I think Ty Willingham's a good coach, but he's not a great coach for a school like ND. He's great for schools that don't get the best recruits and he can get them to become overachievers, he was perfect for Stanford. His act worked for a season in Notre Dame, but then the hype took over and the expectations got a lot higher (when they shouldn't have.. team overachieved his first year) and then criticism came quickly, by then it was way too late, players tuned him out.

If Notre Dame ever threw support behind one of their coaches, instead of looking for reasons to remove him once things look bad, they'll never have any hope. Also, it's about time to join a conference.. for years they got away with it, but now they need a conference to help them recruiting. Both the Big Ten and Big East are hot after Notre Dame. It'd be a really smart idea for them to go to the Big East (which all of their other sports are in anyway) especially now that it's weakened on the football side of things.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I think the fact that Notre Dame has very high academic standards also has something to do with the downfall. Lets me honest, players at Miami,Florida State,LSU etc. probably aren't the smartest people in the world. Those schools have less to worry about admitting student/athletes(because yes, college football players are supposed to go to class). Notre Dame also can't get the major D-1 recruits out on the west coast, or down in the south(florida). So i don't think coaching is the problem at the school.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just shows that Notre Dame fans are out of touch with reality. They think they should compete for national titles every season, but it's just not realistic when they play the toughest schedule in the nation every single season.

Notre Dame SHOULD be a very good team, year in and year out. Scheduling has nothing to do with it...if we lose a tough game at USC, FSU...whatever, it happens. But we're losing to crappy teams!! BYU SUCKS!!!!

We're so inept offensively...2 yard loss on 1st, sack on 2nd, 4 yard dumpoff on 3rd down...it's unbelievable!!

We shouldn't necessarily compete for the NC every year...but we should at least be able to compete!! This program is in shambles!!

I can't BELIEVE I'm saying this as a UTE fan...but Urban Meyer to the rescue!!

·
Premium Member
12,829 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Eagles in 2003</b>!
I think the fact that Notre Dame has very high academic standards also has something to do with the downfall. Lets me honest, players at Miami,Florida State,LSU etc. probably aren't the smartest people in the world. Those schools have less to worry about admitting student/athletes(because yes, college football players are supposed to go to class). Notre Dame also can't get the major D-1 recruits out on the west coast, or down in the south(florida). So i don't think coaching is the problem at the school.
I think that's a weak argument. There are plenty of top academic schools that have very good football programs. Ty's last school, Standford is probably the best non-Ivy league school and they went to the Rose Bowl one year if Im not mistaken. Michigan, Miami, Florida, Texas are all top academic schools. It really has nothing to do with the academics IMO. Recruiting might be an issue, but not academics. I think Ty is a good coach, but they looked really bad last night. BYU just out played them in every aspect of the game.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Okay the whole arguement about Notre Dame not getting the top athletes because of their academic standards is very weak. Yes Notre Dame has very high academic standards but so do most big schools. The problem for Notre Dame is that they don't have the talent coming in year after year anymore because their program has been slipping so kids look elsewhere to play big time college football. Yeah they still have guys like Quinn, Stovall, and Tuck but the players around their stars aren't what Notre Dame is used to having. The problem isn't Ty Willingham. Give him a chance to recruit the players he feels can play in his system before you call him a bust. Notre Dame fans just have to realize that they're no longer the powerhouse they once were and that it'll take time to put the program back together.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Ty will not be fired, btw. Twice in the past Notre Dame has used influential alumni to help ease out coaches: Arch Ward helped move Elmer Layden to the head job in the NFL (clearing the way for Leahy), while Leonard Tose hired Joe Kuharich to coach the Eagles (clearing the way for Parseghian). Team DeBartolo in San Francisco could help with a front office job for Ty, or maybe a coaching spot. Or Ty might migrate back to Stanford if Stanford continues its downward spiral this year (and you think we've got it bad! ).

I've said before that in ND history, the coach after a legend often falters (Brennan, Devine, Davie), but that the coach after that falters worse (Kuharich, Faust, and now Willingham). And then ND gets serious and finds someone who takes the job and uses it to become the next legend. We're close to that time now.

I was never a fan of Willingham (his career record and bowl record were similar to Davie's, and he couldn't win with Bill Walsh's recruits). But I've always wished him well. Last night, the defense showed promise, but that 11 yards net rushing tells the tale. After two recruiting classes, Ty should have a guy or two who can go 11 yards a carry, not a team that rushes 11 yards a game. Ty needed a big year this year, but last night indicated pretty clearly he's not going to have it. We wear the sackcloth for another season. But not after that.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hong Kong Fooey</b>!

Ah well. Going to fire a good HC and he will go somewhere and win. Stupid if you ask me.
Is BYU a great team? How about Syracuse? Boston College? Michigan State? I can understand people lamenting about us playing Michigan, USC, or FSU but these are average-below average Div 1 team and we are getting humiliated by them. We don't even seem to exert an effort half the time. Our playcalling is amatuer and predictable. Our execution is atrocious. We make no adjustments whatsoever. Our players play with no emotion. It's so depressing watching this team play. Tyrone Willingham and his staff just aren't good fits for ND. They'd be better served at a smaller, academic-oriented university like Duke or Vanderbilt. I thought that he was a good fit for this school when he was 8-0 but the last year and a half have proven otherwise. Besides, what has Willingham really ever done to prove that he's a good head coach. He won about 54% of his games at Stanford and has a similar record thus far at ND. I'm sorry but that is nothing to write home about.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts