Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Link
After taking a day to reflect on his heated argument with referee Marc Davis following the 76ers' loss to Chicago, Allen Iverson said yesterday that he was wrong for saying some of the things he said to Davis and that he expected to be fined by the NBA.

But the all-star guard also said that he stood by what he claimed Davis said Saturday night, that the referee had told him he'd "whup my ***."

"I said I got into an argument with the guy and he made a comment to me - that was it," Iverson, who is nursing a chip fracture of the left thumb, said after watching the Sixers' two-hour practice at the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine.

"A lot of stuff during that time, I shouldn't have said. I was wrong for saying some of the things I said, especially at that time when the game was over. That's why I'll probably get fined or something for it. If I do, then I kind of expect it. If I don't, then good for me."

The NBA allowed yesterday to pass without taking any action. It might come out with a statement today.

Iverson said Stu Jackson, the NBA's senior vice president of basketball operations, contacted him yesterday morning, while he was driving to practice, and interviewed him about the incident.

Iverson said he and Davis went at each other for the entire game Saturday and that, at times, their comments got personal. When he confronted the official after the game, he said, it "just got out of hand."

He said that had the same conversation taken place during the game, he probably would have received a technical foul and even further punishment.

"I would have gotten thrown out," he said. "But the whole thing was natural as far as us arguing after the game. Something like that, you see all the time with players and referees after the game is over. But just the response - I don't think he would say anything like that. But it was heated."

Sixers coach Jim O'Brien did not comment on the incident other than to say it was a situation "that nobody is happy with."

Iverson said the postgame argument, which came after his 11-turnover performance and the team's disappointing 94-88 defeat by the Bulls at the Wachovia Center, was not a sign that he had reached the boiling point.

"No, I don't think I'll ever get to that point," he said. "I look at the paper in Philadelphia and read how many people are dying and how much wild stuff is going on in Philadelphia - I'm not getting to no boiling point. This is basketball. This is all fun.

"Outside of these lines is real life, so I'm not going to get to a point where I act up like that every game. I got upset, and I reacted wrong, and so be it. It's something I'll live with. Hopefully, it's something I can correct.

"I was just upset. I'm into the game. I'm a competitor, just like the referee is a competitor. I just spoke up for what I believed in. If I made a mistake, then, hopefully, I'll never make it again."

Iverson denied a report that he had tried to make his way to the officials' dressing room after the game.

"I don't know where the referees are located," he said. "And I don't care where they're located."

Regarding his performance on the court, Iverson is worried about his turnovers. He has committed 41 in his last six games - a 6.8 average - and has taken over the NBA lead with an average of 4.5 per game.

"I've never been as concerned about turnovers as I am right now, because I never had them at a high rate like this," he said. "For us to be successful for 48 minutes, that's what I'm going to have to concentrate on the most.

"My whole thing now is to try to just keep it at two turnovers a game and see how well we can do like that. But the way I'm turning it over in the last six games, we can't get it done."

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
At least he's acknowledging his high turnovers is a problem for the team.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts