Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my unbiased opinion when trying to evaluate both players. I tried to break them down into categories. Speed, strength, passing, leadership, handle, defense, shooting, situations, playmaking and heart. All comments and critisims are welcome. This is just my personal opinion. So here goes nothing.

Speed: Advantage JW
Reason: Jamal is very quick, but doesn't have the raw foot speed that Jay has. Everyone knows that there is a difference in being quick and being fast. I think Jay is probably the 3rd fastest player on the team. Behind E-Rob and Tyson(who I think is the fastest player in the league) That being said Jay is also much quicker than Jamal.

Strength: Advantage JW
Reason: I know I don't have to answer this. Just look at the two. When the two go head up in practice. I bet it looks like Barron against Armstrong in last year's playoffs.(you're too weak get of of me)

Passing: Advantage JW
Reason: Ask Mike Jr. and Boozer about the easy looks Jay got them. While we don't really have an idea about Jamal's passing skills. Because he doesn't really try to show them.

Leadership: Advantage JW
Reason: Jay is vocal, emotional, and aggressive. While Jamal looks to be quiet, shy and timid. Like he just wants to fit in.

Handle: Advantage JW
Reason: Some might disagree because Jamal has a great crossover. But when you look at his handle its the crossover or bust. I know everybody remembers the trouble Jamal has trying to bring the ball up against on the ball defenders. As for Jay he has a cross that is also wicked and has no problems against any defenders witht the rock in his hands.(so far)

Defense: toss up
Reason: Jay plays decent defense but tends to be too agressive. He has the habit of leaving his man trying to get steals. This can get you burned in the league. While Jamal treats defense like having unprotected sex with a girl that's HIV positive. He doesn't want any part of it. Of the two Jay is still the better on the ball defender. But with Jamal's size he has the potential to be the better defender.

Shooting: toss up
reason: Everybody knows these guys can shoot the hell out of the ball. Jamal stroke is great. I still think Jay is trying to adjust to the NBA basketball. The college ball feels much better than the NBA ball because the leather is really soft and easier to grip. While the ball in the league is a hard slick leather. Which is why we always see guys using the rozine grip powder.

Situations: Advantage JW
Reason: At the end of the game who would you rather have with the ball? If its in Jamal's everybody knows that you're gonna see a crossover and pull up jumper. Which is not a high percentage shot. With Jay you have no idea of what's coming. You have to respect the jumper but if you get too close he blows by you. Going to the rack. This will get him more calls and respect from his team, NBA peers, and most importantly the refs. I don't know who I would rather have shooting FT's. I know Jamal is the better overall FT shooter. I just don't know if he has the stomach for crunchtime pressure FT's. Glad we have Jalen.

Playmaking: Advantage JW
Reason: You can't make plays staying on the perimiter. Jay is gonna get Tyson and Eddy many more easy buckets because of his ability to get to the rim. Also running the two man pick and roll will be great for us. He's murder with the ball coming off a screen. He can drive and dish, pull up for the jumper or just explode to the rim.

Heart: Advantage JW
Reason: This is a no brainer. This kid hates to loose. You can see it in his eyes. He's the reason it was so hard to beat Duke. He gives it his all. While Jamal just looks like he doesn't care sometimes. Remember on espn classic profile of Jay. He played his girlfriend one on one and dunk on her three times. So he wouldn't loose. Any guy that runs the risk of not getting some from his girl for a win can play for my Bulls.

This was just my opinion about the two. I can't wait to read you guys replies. Just waiting for an exciting season. Go Bulls.:sigh:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Well by the look of your breakdown, JayW is by far and away the better point guard. He wasn't in the rookie League, and perhaps that is forgiven since he's a rook where as Jamal is a 3rd year vet. Let me add some categories to even up the score.

Rebounding: Adv Jamal
Reason: at 6'5" he's able to pull down shots that sail off the rim and out onto the perimiter. He also pulled down some good boards in traffic while in the Summer LEague. Not once did Jay do the same.

Finish: Adv Jamal
Reason: while Jay is quicker to the hole, he doesn't have the floater that Jamal has, which forces him to take it in all the way. Doing so at 6' over NBA sized centers will be one of the biggest adjustement Jay is forced to make this coming season. Jamal already has found a solution: the tear-drop floater (nothin but net)

Experience: Adv Jamal
Reason: even though he's only had 28 or so games from last season, and a handful of starts, that is enough to beat out Jay. College is college, NBA is the NBA. Sorry, NCAA tournaments don't count.

Clutch Shooting: Adv Jamal
Reason: this is yet to be proven, but I think Jamal's cross-over is going to cause some real problems early on. When teams adjust to it, then it will be interesting to see what Jamal turns to. I still think with his height and his speed, his fade away J is much more dangerous than anything in Jay's present offensive arsenal.

·
The Baseball Guru
12,161 Posts
Originally posted by RipDirty
This is my unbiased opinion when trying to evaluate both players. I tried to break them down into categories. Speed, strength, passing, leadership, handle, defense, shooting, situations, playmaking and heart. All comments and critisims are welcome. This is just my personal opinion. So here goes nothing.

Speed: Advantage JW
Reason: Jamal is very quick, but doesn't have the raw foot speed that Jay has. Everyone knows that there is a difference in being quick and being fast. I think Jay is probably the 3rd fastest player on the team. Behind E-Rob and Tyson(who I think is the fastest player in the league) That being said Jay is also much quicker than Jamal.

Strength: Advantage JW
Reason: I know I don't have to answer this. Just look at the two. When the two go head up in practice. I bet it looks like Barron against Armstrong in last year's playoffs.(you're too weak get of of me)

Passing: Advantage JW
Reason: Ask Mike Jr. and Boozer about the easy looks Jay got them. While we don't really have an idea about Jamal's passing skills. Because he doesn't really try to show them.

Leadership: Advantage JW
Reason: Jay is vocal, emotional, and aggressive. While Jamal looks to be quiet, shy and timid. Like he just wants to fit in.

Handle: Advantage JW
Reason: Some might disagree because Jamal has a great crossover. But when you look at his handle its the crossover or bust. I know everybody remembers the trouble Jamal has trying to bring the ball up against on the ball defenders. As for Jay he has a cross that is also wicked and has no problems against any defenders witht the rock in his hands.(so far)

Defense: toss up
Reason: Jay plays decent defense but tends to be too agressive. He has the habit of leaving his man trying to get steals. This can get you burned in the league. While Jamal treats defense like having unprotected sex with a girl that's HIV positive. He doesn't want any part of it. Of the two Jay is still the better on the ball defender. But with Jamal's size he has the potential to be the better defender.

Shooting: toss up
reason: Everybody knows these guys can shoot the hell out of the ball. Jamal stroke is great. I still think Jay is trying to adjust to the NBA basketball. The college ball feels much better than the NBA ball because the leather is really soft and easier to grip. While the ball in the league is a hard slick leather. Which is why we always see guys using the rozine grip powder.

Situations: Advantage JW
Reason: At the end of the game who would you rather have with the ball? If its in Jamal's everybody knows that you're gonna see a crossover and pull up jumper. Which is not a high percentage shot. With Jay you have no idea of what's coming. You have to respect the jumper but if you get too close he blows by you. Going to the rack. This will get him more calls and respect from his team, NBA peers, and most importantly the refs. I don't know who I would rather have shooting FT's. I know Jamal is the better overall FT shooter. I just don't know if he has the stomach for crunchtime pressure FT's. Glad we have Jalen.

Playmaking: Advantage JW
Reason: You can't make plays staying on the perimiter. Jay is gonna get Tyson and Eddy many more easy buckets because of his ability to get to the rim. Also running the two man pick and roll will be great for us. He's murder with the ball coming off a screen. He can drive and dish, pull up for the jumper or just explode to the rim.

Reason: This is a no brainer. This kid hates to loose. You can see it in his eyes. He's the reason it was so hard to beat Duke. He gives it his all. While Jamal just looks like he doesn't care sometimes. Remember on espn classic profile of Jay. He played his girlfriend one on one and dunk on her three times. So he wouldn't loose. Any guy that runs the risk of not getting some from his girl for a win can play for my Bulls.

This was just my opinion about the two. I can't wait to read you guys replies. Just waiting for an exciting season. Go Bulls.:sigh:
You only said things that j-dub is good at you know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with both of you pretty much, but these are the few things i disagree with:

Handle: While JW has decent handles JC has better handles, I've seen some plays where Jay would try to crossover and loses control over the ball. JC handles are just sick. They only thing in JW's favor is his speed, but that is a different category.

Defense: Although JW is better at stealing the ball, JC is a much better defender. He can be put on any PG and many SG. I am not saying that he would shut any PG down because that would be outrageous. No one can do that, not even Payton. JC only problem on defense is in the Post. That is because of his strength.

Finish: I give this one to JW. He finishes a lot stronger than JC. He also has a little floater, although JC's floater is more efficient. I give the advantage to JW because he does a better job drawing the foul than JC, while i feel that JC is more afraid of contact, but who can blame JC I would try my best to avoid another injury after missing almost a year.

Clutch Shooting: I have to give this one to JW. I judge this from his college experience. He has always excelled in the clutch. His only Achilies heel is Free Throw shooting, but that can be fixed.

I pretty much agree on everything else y'all said. Overall I think Jay will be the better PG for this team.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To shop and prince

Hey yo shop. I had to cut my post short because I had to go and pick up my daughter. I agree with you on everything except clutch shooting and finish. Only because I know Jay is relentless. He's gonna take and make alot of big shots. I don't know if Jamal wants that kind of responsibility. When it comes to finish. Jamal has a great tear drop but if and when he gets it thrown out of there.(its going to happen at least once) Will he be willing to go back in there? To prince if I only mentioned things Jay is good at. Look at my categories. I talked about pg qualities. Tell me. what is Jamal good at ?

·
Registered
337 Posts

you make good points, but i ask u this: what more does jc have to do to show his heart, than what he did by coming back from an acl surgery a lot earlier than expected, and played pretty well for just coming off of major knee reconstruction. im not sayin jc has more heart than jw, they are prob even, but to say that jw has way more heart is totally wrong. some may have questioned his hear, but when he came back from that surgery, i dont see how anyone can ever question his heart again

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
In response to the original post ... you don't sound unbiased at all.

Here's my break down (based on what I've seen during summer leagues against comparable semi-pro talent)

1. Strength - JW (JC's weakest attribute is his strength. Which is why I don't think he'll be that effective if he's forced to play the traditional SG role.)

2. Speed/Quickness: JW (Although JC has quick hands and is respectably quick in his own right). Speedy Claxton's quick, but I'd still take the Glove over him anyday. El Amin was quick as hell, but where's he now?

3. Passing: JC. Simply put: JWill doesn't do it. JC had 28 assists to JC's 15. Nearly double. To say that JW is a better assist man is purely speculation and baised.

4. Leadership: JC Actually, this is impossible to rate. Neither have had a legitimate chance to lead anything. You can't compare JWill's college leadership to JC's. JC only played 17 games for Christ's sake. If you really want to get technical, leadership should be evaluated based on wins and losses. It's ironic how the only game that the Bulls won by 20 was when JWill wasn't playing.

5. Handles: JC. Again, it's another subjective trait, but if you base "handles" on turnovers, JC wins by a landslide. (16 TOs to 27 TOs). If you compare crossover moves, both are great. But JC's is mind-boggling.

6. Defense: JC. JC is almost 6 inches taller than JWill and has a considerably longer reach. Although Craw edged JWill out in the steal department, I would agree that JWill is probably a little better. As for man-to-man D, JWill was abused during the game that I watched on TV (although JC didn't do much better). JC is better on-the-ball defender than JW.

7. Shooting: JW. Again, all things being equal, JW out shot JC in the summer leagues. Although it's really difficult to tell who's a better shooter since they both shot so poorly during the SLs and both were not playing their nature positions a lot of the time.

8. Play Making: Toss Up. If you're talking about someone's ability to penetrate and find the open man for an easy bucket, then it's JW. If you're talking about someone's ability to see the entire court and to find the open man regardless of where they're at, then it's clearly JC.

9. Heart: Toss Up. What a ridiculous thing to try to measure. Only someone with a bias toward one player over another would try to argue about how much heart a person has. Try telling JC that he has no heart when he rehabbed his knee so vigorously that he was ready to play way ahead of schedule. Heart isn't measured by what you say while on the court or to the media, it's measured by your desire, will, and ability to win. Both of these kid's want to win in the worst way.

10. Rebounding: JC. JC had double the rebounds that JW had (20-10).

11. Experience: Toss Up: JWill has the experience at the college level, JC has it at the NBA level.

For those of you who are quick to point out that JC played 30 more minutes than JW. Do the math and figure out JWill's stats, pro rata. He still won't come close in rebounds or assists, and his turnover margin would only be worse.

I love Chicago fans. They'll find any way possible to argue on behalf of a player that they like. Right now, Cubs fans are sitting at home going, "Sammy Doesn't Do Steriods. No Cubbie Would Ever Do Steriods". I just love em!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts