Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go on to nbadraft.net and expect to see J.J. Redick as one of the top players about to be drafted. But he's not even expected to be drafted in the first or second round. This kid is an amazing shooter and I don't know how anyone would not like him. Can someone please tell me why?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think the main reason is that he cant create a lick and his defence is average at best.
His stroke is really nice though and as a roleplayer of the bench i think he could find a team in a year or two.

Btw, whats his real height? I have seen him listed as everything from 6'2 to 6'5!?! and he looked a lot smaller than Strawberry who is listed at 6'5.

·
Registered
40 Posts
His game doesnt translate at all to the pro game. Sure, he is a terrific shooter, but he cant do much else. Hes not really that athletic. Hes undersized for the 2 spot and he doesnt ever play the point...also he is probably one of those guys who goes through all 4 years, so youll see him in a mock draft in about a year...but what do I know, Jason Kapono is/was? in the league.

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
JJ Reddick is a shooter, and nothing else...a good college player, but i dont see him getting the same sucess in the nba

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Originally posted by chicubs!
His game doesnt translate at all to the pro game. Sure, he is a terrific shooter, but he cant do much else. Hes not really that athletic. Hes undersized for the 2 spot and he doesnt ever play the point...also he is probably one of those guys who goes through all 4 years, so youll see him in a mock draft in about a year...but what do I know, Jason Kapono is/was? in the league.
I think you are exactly right on this topic. Reddicks game, as of now, is probably best to be compared to Jason Kapono. He doesn't create for himself on that Duke squad that much. He has Duhon, Ewing, and Dockery creating shots for him. He has a ubelievable stroke, but that doesn't mean he is going to get to the NBA just because of it. I'm also betting that he spends 4 years in Duke getting his degree first hand, and then maybe trying his odds at the League.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
On his ESPN page, they compare him to Casey Jacobsen w/ better athleticism. However Casey has very good size for a SG (6'6, 210) while Reddick is around 6'4 195. He is a great shooter, but is not a good slasher. I watched him vs. GTown and saw him drive to the lane, and maybe 5 feet from the hoop he tried a touch floater, but he did it w/ two hands - it didn't look natural at all. He looks like Trajan Langdon and seems destined for Europe. He may see the NBA early on, but you gotta question the length of his stay.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Coach Redick is probably the best future for him. He'll follow Dawkins, Wojo and Collins to the bench and recruiting trail.

But don't forget he is just a sophomore. There are still two more years ahead of him.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
No NBA future at all. All you have to do is watch him to realize that he is closer to 6'3 than 6'5 and though his jumper is great, he can't play a lick of D or even handle the ball for more than two dribbles. He can't take anyone off the dribble and you can't succeed in the NBA as an undersized SG w/o handles.

The Casey Jacobsen comparison is a little off because Casey is also a slasher (well he was in college at Stanford anyway).

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
He will be in the NBA only for his shooting touch. He can defend and he cant create his own shot. If you expose him on defense (have him chase through screens) he seems less effective on the offensive side.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Originally posted by <b>wadecaroneddie</b>!
JJ Reddick is a shooter, and nothing else...a good college player, but i dont see him getting the same sucess in the nba
Two words:
Reggie Miller

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Originally posted by <b>wadecaroneddie</b>!
Yep. JJ will probably make himself a nice little niche with his shooting ability, but he'll never see more than 15-20 minutes of a floor time on any given night. Shoot the ball he can, but his abilities start and end there.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RoddneyThaRippa</b>!

Reggie is taller than JJ and is quite a bit more athletic. JJ, athletically, can't do the things Reggie Miller can do.
I can't really say Ive seen Reggie do anything "athletic"

·
Registered
991 Posts
I feel like a lot of people are underrating Redick. He's certainly not a lotto pick by any standards, but his defense isn't that bad and with a little work, he could improve his ball-handling enough to bring it up the court now and then.

·
Sincerely, Derrick Rose
3,012 Posts
JJ Redick is a very good shooter. But, I don't think he's able to do much in the pro.

Gerry McNamara is a better prospect. McNamarra shoots as well as Redick if not better and McNamarra is also a decent College PG.

·
Registered
188 Posts
How many games are lost because of missed free throws at the end of a game? Give the ball to Reddick, he shoots like 99%. He also has a picture perfect stroke and NBA 3 point range.

He still has 2 years to go as well. He'll definitely get drafted, and have at least a little success.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Charlotte_______</b>!

I'm talking about Reggie Miller. Maybe you thought I was talking about Reggie Evans?

Yeah, I know Reggie isn't a freak, but he is athletic. Besides, the point is that he can get his own shot and Reddick really can't.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Charlotte_______</b>!

How about exploding past a few defenders into the lane for a dunk with seconds left in the deciding game of a series against the Nets, to send the game to 2OT? That was two years ago.

I don't deny that Reggie is in the NBA mainly because of his jumper, but he is more athletic in his late thirties than Redick is at 20.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ArtestFan</b>!

How about exploding past a few defenders into the lane for a dunk with seconds left in the deciding game of a series against the Nets, to send the game to 2OT? That was two years ago.
I was going to say the same thing, but couldn't remember which game. Reggie is a spry little *******.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts