Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a game that featured a heated exchange between Jermaine O'Neal and Stephen Jackson, the Pacers fell 87-85 at Conseco Fieldhouse on Friday night.

"I think this is just a sign that we're a little bit (short) as far as maturity goes," Pacers rookie guard Sarunas Jasikevicius said. "You can come up with all kinds of stuff, but we gave these guys a chance to come in here and feel comfortable in our gym."
O'Neal and Jackson had been going back and forth on the court when they took it to the bench. The conversation escalated to where it drew attention from people in the area as the coaches were meeting outside the huddle. Teammates had to intervene and break things up.

"My position on it is that I support the players," Carlisle said. "There was a disagreement there. It manifested itself probably a little bit too much. After it happened we really bounced back and played really well. I don't want to overstate what did or did not happen. There was some frustration there. Part of it was that Atlanta was playing really well."
"It's nothing, it's nothing. It's nothing at all," said O'Neal, who had 30 points and 10 rebounds.
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051126/SPORTS04/511260468/1088

Pacers Digest posts:

Jackson threw a punch at JO?

Listening to the post game on WIBC, a caller just said he saw what I just described during the beginning of their argument.
All I know is Slick had not one kind word for Jax when this went down on the radio, but they only spoke of shouting.
I should mention that apparently after the swing, JO grabbed Jackson's face to keep him subdued, and I assume after that either Jack backed off, or someone stepped in between. I just don't know. TV people didn't say a word.
http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16797

Can anyone who listened to the game on the radio confirm this?

·
Feel the Rush!
4,292 Posts
This can't be good at all, awaiting more information. I don't like this at all...what the hell. We're supposed to be contenders and we're playing like **** and fighting eachother? Oh yeah, I like this a lot.

·
King George
11,475 Posts
Pathetic. I'm becoming very, very dissapointed with the Pacers right now. I wish I had seen the game.

So Jermaine got mad at Jackson for ****ing up? Who cares Jermaine? You and Jack do it a lot every night.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I was sitting 16 rows behind the Pacers bench... I saw none of this. Maybe I was too into the game?

But wow... not good if it is true... especially the thrown punch rumor!

We're still cool though, right Stephen? :)

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
It's not a big deal guys. When you play competitively at this level, there's always going to be times when things get heated like this, especially when you're losing to below par team like the Hawks. Stephen Jackson and Jermaine O'Neal both have the same common goal of winning a championship with the Pacers, and there's bound to be some bumps along the way.
It's still early in the season fellas, this team will get it going, don't worry.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I was at this game as well. Yes, I can confirm the punch thing. Stephan Jackson seems to have a bit of an attitude problem. He seemed sloppy at the beggining of the game and alot of fans around me weren't happy. Then he threw 2 sloppy half hearted inbound passes in a row which were deflected and the fans booed. Then in the 4th quarter Josh Childress showed him up. Childress had a ton of Offensive boards and Jackson put him on the line a couple of times. Jackson looked like he was giving a half hearted effort in defending Childress. It seemed as though Jackson just wasnt trying at all. Maybe I shouldn't have been complaining about Jermaine's leadership, maybe Stephan Jackson is a cancer.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
rock747 said:
Yes, I can confirm the punch thing.
Normally I don't like to take issues extremely, but: Trade him. We can't afford these problems early on. If we trade him soon, the player we get back will have time to gel with the team.

We no longer ride together.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Pacers Fan said:
Normally I don't like to take issues extremely, but: Trade him. We can't afford these problems early on. If we trade him soon, the player we get back will have time to gel with the team.
I am usually the first person to jump on people for calling trades... but I will not do it this time... you have good reason. Though I would rather see him on our team... if he keeps this kind of stuff up... I will be in total favor. I am not calling for the trade right now... but I am going to be keeping my eye on him... big time. I hope he can work out for us... I really do like him, but he needs to step up in many ways for me to continue support for him. I cannot support a guy who gives the effort he gave last night. Please Stephen... be the man we all know you can be!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Pacers Fan said:
Thats exactly what I was thinking! I think we ought to trade him for Al Harrington. He left because he wanted to start and he wants out of Atlanta. He said he's gonna leave after this year. We could start him just move Artest to SG. Atlanta would probably want to get something out of him instead of absolutely nothing. Al plays with heart and this is a winning situation.

PG -Tinsley
SG-Artest
SF-Harrington
PF- O'neal
C- Foster

Works for me, Al Harrington doesn't have the Volatile attitude of Jackson and already gets along of with most of our team.

·
Registered
993 Posts
That would be hilarious... has that ever happened in history? Two players traded back the exact same way!

But I don't think Al would be our answer... I think we would need to get another SG back... I don't want out players to be playing out of position.

*shaking head* - I can't believe I am involved in a trade conversation right now.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rock747 said:
PG -Tinsley
SG-Artest
SF-Harrington
PF- O'neal
C- Foster
Artest is too slow to play SG, and Harrington is too slow to play SF. Plus, that lineup has little 3-point shooting. I'd rather trade him for a Mike Miller-type player. Then our defense would get worse, though.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
jermaine7fan said:
That would be hilarious... has that ever happened in history? Two players traded back the exact same way!

But I don't think Al would be our answer... I think we would need to get another SG back... I don't want out players to be playing out of position.

*shaking head* - I can't believe I am involved in a trade conversation right now.
See I think Artest wouldn't really be out of posistion at SG. He can knock down shots from the arc and penatrate. Plus he usually guards the opposing teams All-Star SF/SG anyway.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I don't even know what to say about this bull****. All I know is that Jack never had problems with Duncan like that in San Antonio, so it can't be just all Jack. However, I haven't been thrilled with the guy so far this year. I'm hoping the return of Foster will rectify a bunch of these problems. When he's starting he will create more shots (I can't stand Cro... unathletic and can't defend). His rebounding, defense and selfless play will help, not to mention his great attitude and energy. He is the most underrated Pacer by far. He is a soldier and a great one. Right now we have too many generals, something Jack has no business even trying to be. He has gotten to high on himself.

·
Registered
19,468 Posts
Pacers Fan said:

We no longer ride together.
Whoa. Over one incident? Jackson is to valuable to trade after one incident. Just see if it happens again. It's not like NY is trying to trade Jerome James for fighting Nate Robinson. (Well actually they are trying to trade him, but it's for a different reason)

·
King George
11,475 Posts
WTChan said:
Jackson is to valuable to trade after one incident.
I don't consider him too valuable. He shoots too slow and forces shots too much. I just don't like how he plays (on offense and defense).

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Larry Legend said:
I don't consider him too valuable. He shoots too slow and forces shots too much. I just don't like how he plays (on offense and defense).
Shane Battier. That is the guy that we need there. Otherwise, let's just hope that we can get Jack under control. Remember, he had a helluva run last year, especially in the Playoffs. Maybe it will just take a while for people to understand their roles and for the pecking order to be set.

Reactions: PaCeRhOLiC

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WTChan said:
Whoa. Over one incident? Jackson is to valuable to trade after one incident.
We can't afford to lose chemistry this early on, especially when we're still trying to get it. Have you ever wondered why Jackson left San Antonio and Atlanta? No one likes the guy. He's a nice 3rd option, but he has the slowest shot in league history and shoots almost every time he gets a decent look. I like that he can play both SG and SF effectively and his defense is good, but now Jermaine won't want to play with him, and I doubt many others will, either. If we can trade him for Mike Miller, Shane Battier, Morris Peterson and a big man (looking at Toronto's roster, it might have to be more), or include him the supposed Kevin Garnett deal and get Trenton Hassell or Marko Jaric back, we should be fine.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Try as I might I have never been able to make myself like Stephen Jackson. I thought if I could learn to like Jalen Rose I could like anyone in a Pacers uniform, but so far I just don't like Stephen. Therefore, it wouldn't break my heart if we got rid of him (depending on what we got in return).

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
WTChan said:
Whoa. Over one incident? Jackson is to valuable to trade after one incident. Just see if it happens again. It's not like NY is trying to trade Jerome James for fighting Nate Robinson. (Well actually they are trying to trade him, but it's for a different reason)

Yeah, but it's not like Jackson isn't like this all the time. Look at the Brawl he was one of the main instigators that kept the fighting going on the floor. He also was the first person to throw a punch the whole night (aside from Wallace's shove if thats a punch). He just has an out of control temper and attitude that I beleive could cost a team. I really liked Jackson when he first came, and like the way he plays when he puts forth effort. Just sometimes you got to wonder.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts