Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.indystar.com/articles/7/229311-7987-179.html
In one week, Indiana Pacers forward Stephen Jackson has gone from the team's primary scoring option to being the primary scoring option -- off the bench.

Pacers coach Rick Carlisle likes the dividends the switch has brought.

"I think we'll stick with it," Carlisle said. "We've gotten off to good starts the last two games. We'll keep evaluating things. The way our season has gone, anything can change."

Jackson, initially benched for missing a shootaround, has come off the bench before. He split time between starting and being a reserve with the San Antonio Spurs during the 2002-03 season.

"It's a different role, but at the same time, you're still playing basketball," he said. "I've been a starter and someone that has come off the bench my whole career."

Jackson, who has started 29 of 31 games this season, said a difference between the two is that by starting he gets into the flow earlier.

"Sitting on the bench you have to stay into the game and make sure you know what's going on until it's time to go in," he said.
What do you guys think about this? It could work out for the rest of the season I guess.....It doesnt hurt

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
Well, that's where he was supposed to be at the start of the season. James Jones should do okay with the confidence that he's a starter, and Jax will definately bring some energy off the bench.

·
Feel the Rush!
4,292 Posts
Well, while Sjax is clearly better than JJ, I really don't have any problem with this. JJ is getting some needed minutes so that he can continue to grow, and sjax will be giving us a good second wind if our starters are struggling.

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
Definately agree, James Jones will probably be able to perform better from the starting lineup, and S Jax will be an instant spark off the bench.

·
Registered
366 Posts
It will be interesting, but we need some scoring punch from our bench. It has lacked lately, but as long as the best people are on the floor the most, that is what counts.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
that
LuckyAC said:
Well, he still plays a lot of minutes. I think the distinction of whether you actually start the game is overrated.
For a 2nd year 2nd round draft pick that was getting worse than 3rd stringer minutes last year, starting is very important to his confidence level. Very smart move by Carlisle.

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
This kind of reminds me about the Jalen Rose situation in Toronto.
He didn't want to come off the bench, but he was playing more than most of the starters anyways so he didn't mind, and he got his spot back on the starting lineup.
As Lucky already pointed out, starting is overrated.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Yeah, that's my point. Players overrate how important it is whether they start. As long as they are playing many minutes, there shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
551 Posts
well im glad JJ is getting his minutes and sjax is still getting bulk and still performing well

Reactions: Turkish Delight

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Well im not sure if this is good or not Jacksons two games before he didn't start were 29 and 30 pts shows. The two non starting games he went 22 and like 16 or 17 I think. Just have to watch the trend, its hard to say if this is good or bad yet.

·
King George
11,475 Posts
JJ plays better when he starts than when he comes off the bench, and Jack seems to play better coming off the bench than starting. I say to stick with this for a while, like Carlisle said we will.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts