Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/basketball/bulls/2122114,CST-SPT-jax25.article
''Overall, I think it's tough to judge when guys are hurt,'' Smith said. ''You always end up doing makeshift stuff. 'All right, let me put my power forward at small forward, let me put my small forward at power forward.'

''You never really implement your plan or know what his plan actually is. He's been handcuffed a little bit. It's kind of like an incomplete you'd get in your English class for not being in class enough.''
I think the FO is considering keeping him and put this article out on purpose. Why do I think that?

We sign 1 top FA next season, JR will not want pay for a big time coach. No way.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
If the Bulls want to join the big boy's they need a real coach. If they still want to be a major market team with a small market product then they will keep Vinny.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
If the Bulls want to join the big boy's they need a real coach. If they still want to be a major market team with a small market product then they will keep Vinny
actually if the bulls want to join the big boys they need real PLAYERS. so called "pretty good" players haven't cut it. i don't think a max fa, nor a genius coach (as if JR would pay for one of either after some of this season's losses) helps this team and their severly weak mental resolve.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
I don't know how many times it needs to be said.

Coaching in the NBA is overrated. It's a players league.

A team can have a perfectly mediocre coach and still win a title. Granted, you won't win a title with a bad coach, but you don't need a HOF worthy coach either.

Would Popovich be Popovich w/out David Robinson or Tim Duncan?

Would Phil Jackson be Phil Jackson w/out MJ, Scottie, Kobe, or Shaq?

Could, say, Jim O'Brien be the equivalent of Popovich if he had Tim Duncan & a stud cast instead of Danny Granger & a bunch of nobodies?

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
actually if the bulls want to join the big boys they need real PLAYERS. so called "pretty good" players haven't cut it. i don't think a max fa, nor a genius coach (as if JR would pay for one of either after some of this season's losses) helps this team and their severly weak mental resolve.
Thats a given, I'm EXPECTING better players in here next season.

Either way Vinny's gone, I dont see him coming back.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I don't know how many times it needs to be said.

Coaching in the NBA is overrated. It's a players league.

A team can have a perfectly mediocre coach and still win a title. Granted, you won't win a title with a bad coach, but you don't need a HOF worthy coach either.

Would Popovich be Popovich w/out David Robinson or Tim Duncan?

Would Phil Jackson be Phil Jackson w/out MJ, Scottie, Kobe, or Shaq?

Could, say, Jim O'Brien be the equivalent of Popovich if he had Tim Duncan & a stud cast instead of Danny Granger & a bunch of nobodies?
Nobody is saying the Bulls need a HOF coach, but like you said "you dont win a title with a bad coach", Vinny is a bad coach, our goal is to win a title. Case closed.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Nobody is saying the Bulls need a HOF coach, but like you said "you dont win a title with a bad coach", Vinny is a bad coach, our goal is to win a title. Case closed.
I thought we came to the conclusion months ago that Vinny is pretty much your average NBA coach.

1) Average group of players (1 star, 2 very good starters, and a handful of ok rotation player is pretty average).

2) Average record, injuries aside

How can you not conclude he's an average coach? If he were bad, he would be dragging them below expectations. If he were great, he would be dragging them above expectations. The fact that he keeps this team about where you'd expect, given the state of their health, tells me he is average. And average coaches can win titles if given the right players.

And btw, I would consider most NBA coaches as average. The bad ones get filtered out very quickly, and the great ones are great for a reason, because there are only a few that are clear cut better than the rest.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I thought we came to the conclusion months ago that Vinny is pretty much your average NBA coach.

1) Average group of players (1 star, 2 very good starters, and a handful of ok rotation player is pretty average).

2) Average record, injuries aside

How can you not conclude he's an average coach? If he were bad, he would be dragging them below expectations. If he were great, he would be dragging them above expectations. The fact that he keeps this team about where you'd expect, given the state of their health, tells me he is average. And average coaches can win titles if given the right players.

And btw, I would consider most NBA coaches as average. The bad ones get filtered out very quickly, and the great ones are great for a reason, because there are only a few that are clear cut better than the rest.
I would think even an average coach can fart out one win in this god awful NBA, even without its best players. The team has shown 0 ability to win 1 game without Rose, they win games against bad teams when Rose is healthy and when the team is 100% healthy they play at or slightly above .500 which is no great feat.

Records aside just look at the games, Vinny had 0 answers for the multiple different offensive strategies the Heat where trowing at the Bulls last night.

Injuries cannot continue to be used as an excuse to give VDN a pass, look at the Bucks a team with a very good coach. The Bucks have an average roster at best and yet they are better than the Bulls even without their best player Redd for the majority of the season, they are also plagued with hot and cold play from Jennings, Bogut has come back down to earth a bit of late,big minutes from Ridnour, Delfino and a recession from Mbah a Moute and yet they find way's to win games even against teams like the Heat,Boston,Cav's and Hawks all teams that we can barely play with even when 100% healthy.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I would think even an average coach can fart out one win in this god awful NBA, even without its best players. The team has shown 0 ability to win 1 game without Rose, they win games against bad teams when Rose is healthy and when the team is 100% healthy they play at or slightly above .500 which is no great feat.

Records aside just look at the games, Vinny had 0 answers for the multiple different offensive strategies the Heat where trowing at the Bulls last night.

Injuries cannot continue to be used as an excuse to give VDN a pass, look at the Bucks a team with a very good coach. The Bucks have an average roster at best and yet they are better than the Bulls even without their best player Redd for the majority of the season, they are also plagued with hot and cold play from Jennings, Bogut has come back down to earth a bit of late,big minutes from Ridnour, Delfino and a recession from Mbah a Moute and yet they find way's to win games even against teams like the Heat,Boston,Cav's and Hawks all teams that we can barely play with even when 100% healthy.
How do you figure the NBA is god awful? I kinda think that this is about as talented as I have ever seen the NBA. Just my opinion. But it is hard to find teams without some really telented players on their rosters. I mean even when you look at the two worst teams in the NBA Minnesota and New Jersey. You still have some really talented players. (Love, Jefferson, Harris, Lopez).

·
Administrator
68,859 Posts
I'm also amused by this qualifier of being able to win a game without Rose - that's four games this season, against playoff teams (/9th place Memphis), and while we were in the midst of a big losing streak already (with Rose). It's long been clear that bizkit isn't changing his mind on Vinny no matter what happens out there. If we win, it's not because of him. If we lose, it is.

Whatever.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts