Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I don't blame him.

Hey Jake, walk across the Fens, will ya? ;-) (Can't see BU releasing him to NU, however)

·
Premium Member
33,201 Posts
Not surprised at all

·
Premium Member
33,201 Posts
Someone should tell author O'Brien didn't play last year

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The incoming freshman on the remaining 8 teams in the American East really need to step up considering the talent the AE has lost since the end of the season. All of the following players were expected to be in the league this year: Suero, Aronhalt, Dickinson, Bald, McGlynn, O'Brien, Thomas. I know there were others, but these guys could all have been looked at as starters or players who could start. The JUCO's coming into the league will only be here for 2 years (most of them), so this year's freshman need to live up to their press clippings if the league wants to move up in the RPI rankings...should be an interesting season.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
CCSU has 1 spot open for this year. He would be a perfect fit to replace Ken Horton.

Pairing him up with returning NEC ROY (and the Nation's leading Frosh scorer) Kyle Vinales, and Central would be a serious contender to win the NEC and get into the NCAAs.

·
Premium Member
33,201 Posts
Who's going to score the ball for BU this season now? Yikes.

·
Premium Member
33,201 Posts
Would he realistically be able to get a transfer waiver?
Yes- see Alex Oriakhi transferring from UConn to Missouri.

If you are a senior and your school is barred from NCAA Tournament you can transfer and get waiver to play immediately.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Yes- see Alex Oriakhi transferring from UConn to Missouri.

If you are a senior and your school is barred from NCAA Tournament you can transfer and get waiver to play immediately.
But BU isn't barred from the NCAA tournament. They are technically still eligible to win the national title- they just have to get an at large. If the NCAA grants a waiver based on the fact that BU can't go to the NCAAs, they are effectively announcing that there is no way in hell the AE could ever get an at large. Which is true. But is an incredibly cynical thing for the NCAA to say as the umbrella organization.

·
Registered
928 Posts
The fact that Jake O'Brien is transferring leads me to believe that BU is not looking to pursue early entrance to the PL for winter and spring sports (cause its too late for fall) like the CAA 4 did in 2001. If they were actively pursuing it and thought it might happen, I'd guess Jones would relay that info to JOB and keep him around. It's also possible the PL doesn't want to grant BU early admission.

·
Premium Member
33,201 Posts
But BU isn't barred from the NCAA tournament. They are technically still eligible to win the national title- they just have to get an at large. If the NCAA grants a waiver based on the fact that BU can't go to the NCAAs, they are effectively announcing that there is no way in hell the AE could ever get an at large. Which is true. But is an incredibly cynical thing for the NCAA to say as the umbrella organization.
Technically true-but I can't imagine O'Brien hasn't checked on the status and been given notification he would be able to play right away, since transferring and not being able to play immediately would end his playing career. He would not be able to sit out again (voluntarily) and play again.

Further, right or wrong I'm sure the NCAA views teams from one bid leagues that are barred from its conference tournament as being barred from the NCAA Tournament.

O'Brien may have already graduated as well, not sure- which would make it a moot point, he could be a grad transfer.

·
Premium Member
33,201 Posts
The rule quoted in article said "post season ban" not specifically NCAA Tournament as well.

The AE Tournament is technically the beginning of the "post season" so that would apply I guess. I just always think of post season as NCAA Tournament.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
It's a real shame, but I'm not at all surprised and I don't blame him a bit. Good luck Jake.

And I still think it's terribly sad the AE preznits voted this way

·
The Invisible Iron Fist
1,253 Posts
watching Jake in a suit on the end of the bench for most of the last two years has been tough, and he always seemed so positive and participatory in the affairs of the team. If he does end up leaving, i wish him all the best (unless he goes to BC ;) )

This whole thing stinks!

·
Premium Member
33,201 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised to see BC, though their NCAA Tournament hopes next season may be as good as BU's.

He could play in the ACC, stay in Boston, and he'd probably play good minutes for them. Not sure how many BCS schools he can go to and get good minutes.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I agree with Slider. Not surprised and not all that bummed really, although it is disappointing. It'll just give the freshman more playing time. He got his degree from BU which is nice.

The author is nuts to imply he was a candidate for AE player of the year. He hasn't played in forever and even when he was healthy, he's never been THAT good. I could definitely see him transferring "up" to an A10 school though.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts